Current:Home > NewsNavy issues written reprimands for fuel spill that sickened 6,000 people at Pearl Harbor base -Capitatum
Navy issues written reprimands for fuel spill that sickened 6,000 people at Pearl Harbor base
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-05 23:46:38
HONOLULU (AP) — The Navy on Thursday issued written reprimands to three now-retired military officers for their roles in the spill of jet fuel into Pearl Harbor’s drinking water in 2021 but did not fire, suspend, dock the pay or reduce the rank of anyone for the incident.
The spill from the Red Hill Bulk Fuel Storage Facility poisoned thousands of military families and continues to threaten the purity of Honolulu’s water supply.
Navy Secretary Carlos Del Toro issued censure letters to the three rear admirals, the Navy said in a news release. He also revoked personal military decorations awarded to five rear admirals, three captains and one commander.
“Taking accountability is a step in restoring trust in our relationship with the community,” Del Toro said in a statement.
The spill “was not acceptable,” and the Navy will continue “to take every action to identify and remedy this issue,” he said.
A Navy investigation last year concluded a series of errors caused the fuel to leak into a well that supplied water to housing and offices in and around Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam. About 6,000 people suffered nausea, headaches, rashes and other symptoms.
The investigation concluded operator error caused a pipe to rupture when fuel was being transferred between tanks on May 6, 2021, leading 21,000 gallons (80,000 liters) to spill. Most of this liquid flowed into a fire suppression line and sat there for six months, causing the line to sag. A cart then rammed into the drooping line on Nov. 20, releasing 20,000 gallons (75,700 liters) of fuel that entered a French drain and the drinking water well.
The episode upset people across Hawaii, including, veterans, environmentalists, Native Hawaiians, liberals and conservatives.
After months of resistance, the military agreed to an order from the state of Hawaii to drain the World War II-era tanks. It has spent the past year repairing equipment at the facility to safely remove the fuel beginning next month. It expects to finish by Jan. 19.
Three officers received letters of censure from Del Toro: Retired Rear Adm. Peter Stamatopoulos, who was the commander of Naval Supply Systems Command during the May and November spills; Rear Adm. (retired) John Korka, who was commander of the Navy Facilities Engineering Command Pacific before the two spills; and Rear Adm. (retired) Timothy Kott, who was the commander of Navy Region Hawaii during the November spill.
U.S. Sen. Mazie Hirono, a Democrat from Hawaii, said in a statement that true accountability for the disaster would require the Navy to address “systemic command and control failures, and a lack of requisite attention to infrastructure.”
She noted the Navy’s investigation found that a culture of complacency, a lack of critical thinking, and a lack of timely communication contributed to the spill.
“I have yet to see adequate evidence that Navy leadership is treating these service-wide issues with the seriousness or urgency they demand,” Hirono said in a statement.
Hirono, who is a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said she would continue pushing the Navy to make these systemic changes.
veryGood! (415)
Related
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Trailblazing Brooklyn judge Rachel Freier recounts difficult return from Israel
- Who is Raoul A. Cortez? Google Doodle honors Mexican-American broadcaster's birthday
- Trump to appeal partial gag order in special counsel's 2020 election case
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Magnitude 4.2 earthquake in Northern California triggers ShakeAlert in Bay Area
- Horror movie creators to reboot 'Gargoyles' on Disney+: What to know about '90s series revival
- Dolly Parton Reveals Why She’s Been Sleeping in Her Makeup Since the 80s
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Havana’s once stately homes crumble as their residents live in fear of an imminent collapse
Ranking
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Hundreds mourn as Israeli family of 5 that was slain together is laid to rest
- Hospital systems Ascension and Henry Ford Health plan joint venture
- Sen. Bob Menendez’s co-defendants, including his wife, plead not guilty to revised bribery charges
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Sen. Bob Menendez’s co-defendants, including his wife, plead not guilty to revised bribery charges
- SEC coaches are more accepting of youthful mistakes amid roster engagement in the portal era
- Simu Liu Reveals His Parents Accidentally Took His Recreational Drugs While House Sitting
Recommendation
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
Southern California sheriff’s deputy shot and hospitalized in unknown condition
Can we still relate to Bad Bunny?
96-year-old newlyweds marry at Kansas senior living community that brought them together
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Week 7 fantasy football rankings: Injuries, byes leave lineups extremely thin
Not just autoworkers: Grad students make up a growing share of UAW members
Tulsa massacre survivor, residents push for justice, over a century after killings