Current:Home > MarketsWill Sage Astor-The Secret Service acknowledges denying some past requests by Trump’s campaign for tighter security -Capitatum
Will Sage Astor-The Secret Service acknowledges denying some past requests by Trump’s campaign for tighter security
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:26:46
REHOBOTH BEACH,Will Sage Astor Del. (AP) — The Secret Service now acknowledges it denied some requests by Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump’s campaign for increased security at his events in the years before the assassination attempt on him at a recent rally.
In the immediate aftermath of the July 13 attack, the law enforcement agency had denied rejecting such requests. But the Secret Service acknowledged late Saturday, a week after the attempt on Trump’s life, that it had turned back some requests to increase security around the former president.
The reversal is likely to be a key focus of a congressional hearing Monday where Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle is expected to appear before lawmakers who have been expressing anger over security lapses that allowed a 20-year-old gunman to climb atop the roof of a nearby building at Trump’s rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, and fire his weapon.
Trump was wounded in the right ear, one rallygoer was killed and two others were injured.
“The Secret Service has a vast, dynamic, and intricate mission. Every day we work in a dynamic threat environment to ensure our protectees are safe and secure across multiple events, travel, and other challenging environments,” the agency’s chief spokesperson, Anthony Guglielmi, said in a statement released late Saturday to The Washington Post. The newspaper was first to report on the agency’s reversal, which it said was based on detailed questions submitted to the agency.
“We execute a comprehensive and layered strategy to balance personnel, technology, and specialized operational needs,” Guglielmi said.
He said the agency will rely on state and local law enforcement departments in some cases where specialized Secret Service units are unavailable.
“In some instances where specific Secret Service specialized units or resources were not provided, the agency made modifications to ensure the security of the protectee,” Gugliemi said. “This may include utilizing state or local partners to provide specialized functions or otherwise identifying alternatives to reduce public exposure of a protectee.”
After the assassination attempt, as reports began to circulate that the agency had denied the Trump campaign’s requests, Guglielmi issued a denial.
There is “an untrue assertion that a member of the former President’s team requested additional security resources & that those were rebuffed,” Gugliemi said in a social media post. “This is absolutely false. In fact, we added protective resources & technology & capabilities as part of the increased campaign travel tempo.”
What to know about the 2024 Election
- Read the latest: Follow AP’s live coverage of this year’s election.
- Democracy: American democracy has overcome big stress tests since 2020. More challenges lie ahead in 2024.
- AP’s Role: The Associated Press is the most trusted source of information on election night, with a history of accuracy dating to 1848. Learn more.
- Stay informed. Keep your pulse on the news with breaking news email alerts. Sign up here.
Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas has said what happened was a “failure” while several lawmakers have called on Cheatle to resign or be fired. Cheatle so far retains the support of Democratic President Joe Biden and Mayorkas.
Biden, who is campaigning to deny Trump a second term in the White House, has ordered an independent investigation. The Homeland Security Department and congressional committee are also investigating.
Trump says he was given no indication that law enforcement had identified a suspicious person when the former president took the stage in Pennsylvania. Some rallygoers said in interviews after the attempted assassination that they saw the gunman on the roof before Trump walked out onto the stage and had alerted law enforcement authorities on site.
In an interview with Fox News host Jesse Waters set to air Monday, Trump said, “No, nobody mentioned it, nobody said there was a problem” before he took the stage and a gunman opened fire. “They could’ve said, ‘Let’s wait for 15 minutes, 20 minutes, 5 minutes, something.’ Nobody said. I think that was a mistake.”
Trump also questioned the security lapses and how the gunman was able to access the roof of the building.
“How did somebody get on that roof? And why wasn’t he reported? Because people saw that he was on the roof,” Trump said. “So you would’ve thought someone would’ve done something about it.”
Local law enforcement officers had seen the man and deemed him suspicious enough to circulate his photo and witnesses reported seeing him scaling the building.
—-
Associated Press writer Jill Colvin in New York contributed to this report.
veryGood! (36723)
Related
- Trump's 'stop
- Hayden Panettiere Shares a Rare Look Inside Her Family World With Daughter Kaya
- New Orleans thief steals 7 king cakes from bakery in a very Mardi Gras way
- NBA commissioner Adam Silver reaches long-term deal to remain in role through end of decade
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Bullfight advocates working with young people to attract new followers in Mexico
- Texas attorney general refuses to grant federal agents full access to border park: Your request is hereby denied
- 20 Secrets About She's All That Revealed
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- German train drivers will end a 6-day strike early and resume talks with the railway operator
Ranking
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- New Hampshire vet admits he faked wheelchair use for 20 years, falsely claiming $660,000 in benefits
- Charges against country singer Chris Young in Nashville bar arrest have been dropped
- New Hampshire vet admits he faked wheelchair use for 20 years, falsely claiming $660,000 in benefits
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Former NBA All-Star DeMarcus 'Boogie' Cousins spotted making bubble tea for fans in Taiwan
- Greyhound stations were once a big part of America. Now, many of them are being shut
- Finns go to the polls to elect a new president at an unprecedented time for the NATO newcomer
Recommendation
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
How Bianca Belair breaks barriers, honors 'main purpose' as WWE 2K24 cover star
T.J. Otzelberger 'angry' over 'ludicrous rumors' Iowa State spied on Kansas State huddles
Amber Glenn becomes first LGBTQ+ woman to win U.S. Women's Figure Skating Championship
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
NFL championship game picks: Who among Chiefs, Ravens, 49ers and Lions reaches Super Bowl 58?
Ukraine says corrupt officials stole $40 million meant to buy arms for the war with Russia
Tesla recalls nearly 200,000 cars over software glitch that prevents rearview camera display