Current:Home > FinanceDonald Trump wants New York hush money trial delayed until Supreme Court rules on immunity claims -Capitatum
Donald Trump wants New York hush money trial delayed until Supreme Court rules on immunity claims
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 08:20:47
NEW YORK (AP) — Donald Trump is seeking to delay his March 25 hush money trial until the Supreme Court rules on the presidential immunity claims he raised in another of his criminal cases.
The Republican former president’s lawyers on Monday asked Manhattan Judge Juan Manuel Merchan to adjourn the New York criminal trial indefinitely until Trump’s immunity claim in his Washington, D.C., election interference case is resolved. Merchan did not immediately rule.
Trump contends he is immune for prosecution for conduct alleged to involve official acts during his tenure in office. His lawyers argue some of the evidence and alleged acts in the hush money case overlap with his time in the White House and constitute official acts.
The Supreme Court is scheduled to hear arguments April 25, a month after the scheduled start of jury selection in Trump’s hush money case. It is the first of his four criminal cases slated to go to trial as he closes in on the Republican presidential nomination in his quest to retake the White House.
The Manhattan district attorney’s office declined to comment. Prosecutors are expected to respond to Trump’s delay request in court papers later this week.
Trump first raised the immunity issue in his Washington, D.C., criminal case, which involves allegations that he worked to overturn the results of the 2020 election in the run-up to the violent riot by his supporters at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.
The hush money case centers on allegations that Trump falsified his company’s internal records to hide the true nature of payments to his former lawyer Michael Cohen, who helped Trump bury negative stories during his 2016 presidential campaign. Among other things, Cohen paid porn actor Stormy Daniels $130,000 to suppress her claims of an extramarital sexual encounter with Trump years earlier.
Trump’s lawyers argue that some evidence Manhattan prosecutors plan to introduce at the hush money trial, including messages he posted on social media in 2018 about money paid to Cohen, were from his time as president and constituted official acts.
Trump pleaded not guilty last year to 34 felony counts of falsifying business records. He has denied having a sexual encounter with Daniels, and his lawyers argue the payments to Cohen were legitimate legal expenses and not part of any cover-up.
A federal judge last year rejected Trump’s claim that allegations in the hush money indictment involved official duties, nixing his bid to move the case from state court to federal court. Had the case been moved to federal court, Trump’s lawyers could’ve tried to get the charges dismissed on the grounds that federal officials have immunity from prosecution over actions taken as part of their official duties.
“The evidence overwhelmingly suggests that the matter was a purely a personal item of the President — a cover-up of an embarrassing event,” U.S. District Judge Alvin Hellerstein wrote last July. “Hush money paid to an adult film star is not related to a President’s official acts. It does not reflect in any way the color of the President’s official duties.”
Trump’s lawyers appealed Hellerstein’s ruling, but dropped the appeal in November. They said they were doing so with prejudice, meaning they couldn’t change their minds.
The question of whether a former president is immune from federal prosecution for official acts taken in office is legally untested.
Prosecutors in the Washington, D.C., case have said no such immunity exists and that, in any event, none of the actions Trump is alleged to have taken in the indictment charging him with plotting to overturn the 2020 presidential election after he lost to Democrat Joe Biden count as official acts.
The trial judge in Washington and a federal appeals court have both ruled against Trump, but the high court agreed last month to give the matter fresh consideration — a decision that delays the federal case in Washington and injects fresh uncertainty as to when it might reach trial.
___
Associated Press reporter Eric Tucker in Washington contributed to this report.
veryGood! (87)
Related
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Hazing lawsuit filed against University of Alabama fraternity
- Ukraine air force chief mocks Moscow as missile hits key Russian navy base in Sevastopol, Crimea
- AI Intelligent One-Click Trading: Innovative Experience on WEOWNCOIN Exchange
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Poland accuses Germany of meddling its its affairs by seeking answers on alleged visa scheme
- 'Goodness wins out': The Miss Gay America pageant's 50-year journey to an Arkansas theater
- A Taiwan golf ball maker fined after a fatal fire for storing 30 times limit for hazardous material
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Usher to headline the 2024 Super Bowl halftime show in Las Vegas
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- NFL views Spain as likely next European city to host a game, being assessed for 2024
- Usher Revealed as Super Bowl 2024 Halftime Show Performer and Kim Kardashian Helps Announce the News
- Indonesian woman sentenced to prison for blasphemy after saying Muslim prayer then eating pork on TikTok
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- High-speed rail was touted as a game-changer in Britain. Costs are making the government think twice
- NFL Week 3: Cowboys upset by Cardinals, Travis Kelce thrills Taylor Swift, Dolphins roll
- First refugees from Nagorno-Karabakh arrive in Armenia following Azerbaijan’s military offensive
Recommendation
Average rate on 30
Biden says he'll join the picket line alongside UAW members in Detroit
5 hospitalized after explosion at New Jersey home; cause is unknown
AP Top 25: Colorado falls out of rankings after first loss and Ohio State moves up to No. 4
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
'We just collapsed:' Reds' postseason hopes take hit with historic meltdown
EU Commission blocks Booking’s planned acquisition of flight booking provider Etraveli
A Black student was suspended for his hairstyle. Now, his family is suing Texas officials.