Current:Home > NewsMan suspected of shooting 6-month-old son in hostage standoff near Phoenix apparently killed himself -Capitatum
Man suspected of shooting 6-month-old son in hostage standoff near Phoenix apparently killed himself
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 08:36:51
SURPRISE, Ariz. (AP) — A man suspected of shooting his 6-month-old son multiple times after taking the boy and his mother hostage was found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound in the rubble of a suburban Phoenix home that caught fire during a SWAT standoff, police said Saturday.
The boy was reported in critical but stable condition at a local hospital Saturday, Surprise police said in a statement. They said earlier his injuries suffered the day before were not believed to be life-threatening.
Officers went to the home in the city of Surprise northwest of Phoenix in response to an emergency call around 11:30 a.m. Friday from a woman who said she and her baby had been held captive there since 3 a.m. by the child’s father, police said.
The mother escaped with minor injuries and called 911 with a cellphone she said she borrowed from a nearby construction crew.
Police heard gunfire from inside the house as they arrived, Surprise Police Sgt. Rick Hernandez said. They entered and found the baby with multiple gunshot wounds but did not see the father. They retrieved the child and retreated.
The dead man, identified Saturday as 51-year-old Todd Christopher Marchetti, had repeatedly refused to peacefully surrender. Fire damage to the home initially prevented authorities from finding him, Hernandez said earlier Saturday.
“Once it was safe for investigators to enter the residence, they discovered the remains of Marchetti with what appears to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. The cause of death is still pending the results of the medical examiner’s full report,” police said in the statement late Saturday.
Aerial videos and photos from the afternoon showed a thick plume of smoke rising from the severely damaged house.
Surprise police scheduled a news conference Monday to provide additional details on the ongoing investigation, Hernandez said.
veryGood! (4388)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- 2024 Election: Kamala Harris' Stepdaughter Ella Emhoff Breaks Silence on Donald Trump’s Win
- Union puts potential Philadelphia mass transit strike on hold as talks continue
- Who will buy Infowars? Both supporters and opponents of Alex Jones interested in bankruptcy auction
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Nordstrom Rack Clear the Rack Sale Insane Deals: $18 Free People Jumpsuits, $7 Olaplex, $52 Uggs & More
- Kendrick Lamar vs. Drake: 'Not Like Us' gets record, song of the year Grammy nominations
- The Daily Money: Want a refi? Act fast.
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- What to watch: We're mad about Mikey
Ranking
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- This Southern Charm Star Just Announced Their Shocking Exit Ahead of Season 10
- Minnesota man kills two women and two children at separate homes before killing himself, police say
- How Trump's victory could affect the US economy
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Brother of Buffalo’s acting mayor dies in fall from tree stand while hunting
- Brother of Buffalo’s acting mayor dies in fall from tree stand while hunting
- Christina Hall Officially Replaces Ex Josh Hall With Ex-Husband Ant Anstead on The Flip Off
Recommendation
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
PETA raises tips reward to $16,000 for man who dragged 2 dogs behind his car in Georgia
3 dead, including the suspect, after shooting in Pennsylvania apartment and 40-mile police chase
James Van Der Beek Details Hardest Factor Amid Stage 3 Cancer Diagnosis
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
Southern California wildfire destroys 132 structures as officials look for fierce winds to subside
Brianna LaPaglia says ex-boyfriend Zach Bryan offered her a $12M NDA after breakup
What to watch: We're mad about Mikey