Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:Officials in North Carolina deny Christmas parade permit after girl’s death during last year’s event -Capitatum
Surpassing:Officials in North Carolina deny Christmas parade permit after girl’s death during last year’s event
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 11:36:22
RALEIGH,Surpassing N.C. (AP) — Officials in North Carolina have denied a permit for a Christmas parade after a truck towing a float struck and killed a girl during last year’s event.
The city of Raleigh announced Thursday that it denied the Greater Raleigh Merchants Association’s request for a permit for the Raleigh Christmas Parade, news outlets reported.
“The decision was made out of an abundance of caution for parade participants and spectators, as well as respect for Hailey Brooks’ family and friends,” according to a city statement.
Hailey Brooks, 11, was killed during last year’s parade when she was hit by a pickup truck towing a float after the driver lost control. Landen Glass, then 20, was initially charged with misdemeanor death by motor vehicle, careless and reckless driving, improper equipment, unsafe movement and carrying a firearm in a parade. In March, a grand jury elevated his charges to felony involuntary manslaughter.
The Brooks family was not consulted and they oppose the decision to deny the parade permit, according to attorney Jason Miller.
“The Brooks family is disappointed that the City of Raleigh chose to cancel its 2023 Raleigh Christmas Parade rather than adopt basic safety measures to protect the community,” Miller said.
The merchants association is saddened by the decision, Executive Director Jennifer Martin said.
“The parade has been a Raleigh tradition for 78 years that brings the community together and provides joy to hundreds of thousands and allows families near and far to make countless memories,” she said in a statement. The association is “ready, willing and able to continue this tradition” as soon as the city of Raleigh “allows it to return,” Martin said.
veryGood! (56328)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Zendaya’s Stylist Law Roach Addresses Claim He’s “Breaking Up” With Her
- Uber will list all New York City taxis on its app, giving customers more choices
- SpaceX brings 4 astronauts home with midnight splashdown
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Second American dies in Sudan amid fighting, U.S. confirms
- The rocky road ahead for startups
- The 'Orbeez Challenge' is causing harm in parts of Georgia and Florida, police warn
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Too many slices in a full loaf of bread? This program helps find half-loaves for sale
Ranking
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- DeLorean is back (to the future) with an electric car, and some caveats
- Elon Musk denies a report accusing him of sexual misconduct on a SpaceX jet
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen's It Takes Two Co-Star Reveals Major Easter Egg You Totally Missed
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Astronomers detect Scary Barbie supermassive black hole ripping apart huge star in terrifying spaghettification event
- Shop These 15 Women-Founded Accessories Brands Because It’s Women’s History Month & You Deserve a Treat
- Russia threatens to fine Wikipedia if it doesn't remove some details about the war
Recommendation
Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
Estonia hosts NATO-led cyber war games, with one eye on Russia
Elon Musk says he's put the blockbuster Twitter deal on pause over fake accounts
Fitbit recalls 1.7 million smartwatches with a battery that can overheat and burn you
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
In major video game company first, Activision Blizzard employees are joining a union
Lincoln College closes after 157 years, blaming COVID-19 and cyberattack disruptions
Sony halts PlayStation sales in Russia due to Ukraine invasion