Current:Home > FinancePentagon considering plea deals for defendants in 9/11 attacks -Capitatum
Pentagon considering plea deals for defendants in 9/11 attacks
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 08:49:34
The suspected mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks that killed nearly 3,000 people could escape the death penalty —along with four of his accused plotters— under a plea agreement being considered, CBS News has learned.
The Pentagon sent a letter this week to families of 9/11 victims revealing plea deals are being considered in which the five men, including suspected mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, would "accept criminal responsibility for their actions and plead guilty....in exchange for not receiving the death penalty."
The letter generated fresh outrage in Kristen Breitweiser, whose husband died in the South Tower of the World Trade Center. She has waited years to see the five men face trial.
"It's more heartbroken," Breitweiser told CBS News. "...I thought I lived in the United States of America. I thought we were a nation based upon the rule of law. And obviously, that's turned out not to be the case."
The five 9/11 defendants were held by the CIA before being transferred to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in 2006.
The prosecution of the defendants at Guantanamo Bay, which would be held in military tribunals, has been delayed for years, mainly complicated by the CIA's interrogation of the suspects that critics called "torture," and questions over whether the evidence extracted during those interrogations is admissible in court.
A defense lawyer for Ammar al-Baluchi, one of the accused plotters, told CBS News last year that a plea deal would end the impasse.
"He is willing to plead guilty, serve a long sentence at Guantanamo, in exchange for medical care for his torture, and taking the death penalty off the table," defense lawyer James Connell said in September 2022.
That doesn't satisfy Brad Blakeman, who lost his nephew Tommy Jurgen in the World Trade Center.
"We were told, and we were promised, that we would bring these people responsible to justice and we expect that to happen," Blakeman said.
If a plea deal goes ahead, and the 9/11 defendants get lengthy sentences, there's a law in place that prevents their transfer to U.S. soil and federal custody. That means the Guantanamo prison could remain open indefinitely.
Over the years, there have been proposals to move the trials from military tribunals to civilian court. However, that idea has faced strong resistance in Congress over concerns about security and the costs of moving defendants out of Guantanamo Bay.
— Catherine Herridge contributed to this report.
- In:
- Khalid Sheik Mohammed
- 9/11
Scott MacFarlane is a congressional correspondent for CBS News, reporting for all CBS News broadcasts and platforms.
TwitterveryGood! (79274)
Related
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- One Tech Tip: Protecting yourself against SIM swapping
- Trump is injured but ‘fine’ after apparent assassination attempt leaves rally-goer and gunman dead
- Former President Donald Trump Safe After Shooting During Rally
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Man gets life in prison over plot to rape and murder famous British TV personality in case cracked by undercover U.S. cop
- MLB draft prospects with famous bloodlines carry weight of monster expectations
- Carlos Alcaraz should make Novak Djokovic a bit nervous about his Grand Slam record
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Mega Millions winning numbers for July 12 drawing: Jackpot now worth $226 million
Ranking
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Former fire chief who died at Trump rally used his body to shield family from gunfire
- Judge dismisses Rudy Giuliani's bankruptcy case, clearing way for collectors to pursue debts
- What to know about legal battles on details of abortion rights ballot measures across US
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Alyssa Milano Acknowledges Complicated Shannen Doherty Relationship in Tribute to Charmed Costar
- 'Dr. Ruth' Westheimer dies at age 96 after decades of distributing frank advice about sex
- Shannen Doherty, 'Beverly Hills, 90210' star, dies at 53 after cancer battle
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
Here's What the Dance Moms Cast Is Up to Now
Smoke in cabin after American Airlines flight lands in San Francisco; plane evacuated
Trump safe after rally shooting, says bullet struck his ear; gunman and audience member dead
New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
Video: Baby red panda is thriving in New York despite being abandoned by mother
Jana Kramer and Allan Russell Get Married in Intimate Scotland Wedding
Reagan survived an assassination attempt and his response changed the trajectory of his presidency