Current:Home > FinanceRobert Brown|U.S. troops leaving Niger bases this weekend and in August after coup, officials say -Capitatum
Robert Brown|U.S. troops leaving Niger bases this weekend and in August after coup, officials say
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 11:21:25
The Robert BrownU.S. will remove all its forces and equipment from a small base in Niger this weekend and fewer than 500 remaining troops will leave a critical drone base in the West African country in August, ahead of a Sept. 15 deadline set in an agreement with the new ruling junta, the American commander there said Friday.
Air Force Maj. Gen. Kenneth Ekman said in an interview that a number of small teams of 10-20 U.S. troops, including special operations forces, have moved to other countries in West Africa. But the bulk of the forces will go, at least initially, to Europe.
Niger's ouster of American troops following a coup last year has broad ramifications for the U.S. because it is forcing troops to abandon the critical drone base that was used for counterterrorism missions in the Sahel.
Ekman and other U.S. military leaders have said other West African nations want to work with the U.S. and may be open to an expanded American presence. He did not detail the locations, but other U.S. officials have pointed to the Ivory Coast and Ghana as examples.
Ekman, who serves as the director for strategy at U.S. Africa Command, is leading the U.S. military withdrawal from the small base at the airport in Niger's capital of Niamey and from the larger counterterrorism base in the city of Agadez. He said there will be a ceremony Sunday marking the completed pullout from the airport base, then those final 100 troops and the last C-17 transport aircraft will depart.
Speaking to reporters from The Associated Press and Reuters from the U.S. embassy in Niamey, Ekman said that while portable buildings and vehicles that are no longer useful will be left behind, a lot of larger equipment will be pulled out. For example, he said 18 4,000-pound (1,800-kilograms) generators worth more than $1 million each will be taken out of Agadez.
Unlike the withdrawal from Afghanistan, he said the U.S. is not destroying equipment or facilities as it leaves.
"Our goal in the execution is, leave things in as good a state as possible," he said. "If we went out and left it a wreck or we went out spitefully, or if we destroyed things as we went, we'd be foreclosing options" for future security relations.
Niger's ruling junta ordered U.S. forces out of the country in the wake of last July's ouster of the country's democratically elected president by mutinous soldiers. French forces had also been asked to leave as the junta turned to the Russian mercenary group Wagner for security assistance.
Washington officially designated the military takeover as a coup in October, triggering U.S. laws restricting the military support and aid.
- In:
- Niger
- Africa
- United States Military
veryGood! (3757)
Related
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Rob Kardashian Reveals His NSFW Reaction to Scott Disick’s Sex Life
- After 189 bodies were found in Colorado funeral home, evidence suggests families received fake ashes
- Why Tennis Champ Naomi Osaka and Boyfriend Cordae Are Sparking Breakup Rumors Months After Welcoming Baby
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Applications for US jobless benefits fall to lowest level in more than 8 months
- Martin Scorsese on new movie ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’: ‘Maybe we’re all capable of this’
- Civic group launches $4M campaign to boost embattled San Francisco ahead of global trade summit
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Marine killed in homicide at Camp Lejeune, fellow Marine taken into custody
Ranking
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Mortgage rates touch 8% for the first time since August 2000
- Fugees rapper claims lawyer's use of AI wrecked his case, requests new trial
- Michigan lottery winners: Residents win $100,000 from Powerball and $2 million from scratch-off game
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Earthquake country residents set to ‘drop, cover and hold on’ in annual ShakeOut quake drill
- 3 are indicted on fraud-related charges in a Medicaid billing probe in Arizona
- Sidney Powell pleads guilty in case over efforts to overturn Trump’s Georgia loss and gets probation
Recommendation
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
Teen reaches $1.9 million settlement after officer shot him in gun battle with bank robbery suspect
Southern California university mourns loss of four seniors killed in Pacific Coast Highway crash
Lacrosse at the Olympics gives Native Americans a chance to see their sport shine
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Former officer who shot Breonna Taylor points gun at suspect during arrest in new job
Trump ally Sidney Powell pleads guilty to conspiracy charges in Georgia 2020 election case
Jason Aldean defends 'Try That in a Small Town' song: 'What I was seeing was wrong'