Current:Home > reviewsEchoSense:Death of woman following attacks on North Carolina power stations ruled a homicide -Capitatum
EchoSense:Death of woman following attacks on North Carolina power stations ruled a homicide
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 10:15:21
The EchoSensedeath of a woman that occurred after firearm attacks on power substations caused a massive power outage last year has been ruled a homicide, newly released autopsy records show.
Karin Zoanelli, 87, was found unresponsive in her home in Moore County, North Carolina, on the night of Dec. 3, 2022, following the power outage, according to records released by the state's Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.
Zoanelli's husband told police his wife was having difficulty breathing that night and he woke up to find she had fallen on the floor of their Pinehurst home, according to the records. She died shortly after midnight on Dec. 4.
Her cause of death was due to cardiovascular disease, according to the autopsy report, which lists pulmonary hypertension as a contributing condition.
MORE: Timeline of sabotage triggering North Carolina power outage
Zoanelli had chronic lung disease with pulmonary hypertension and at night used an oxygen concentrator, which the power outage disabled, according to the autopsy report.
"While the decedent succumbed to her pre-existing natural disease, preceding failure of her oxygen concentrator as a result of a power outage precipitated her demise through exacerbation of her breathing insufficiency," the autopsy report stated. "And since the power outage involved reportedly occurred in the setting of a criminal firearm attack on the regional electrical distribution substation, the manner of death is best classified as Homicide."
Roughly 45,000 utility customers lost power amid the blackout. Evidence of sabotage was found at two key electrical substations operated by utility provider Duke Energy, prompting the Moore County Sheriff's Office to investigate the incident as a "criminal occurrence" and call in the FBI to assist in the probe.
The county, state and Duke Energy are offering a $75,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and prosecution of those responsible for what the Moore County sheriff called "intentional vandalism."
MORE: $75K reward offered in NC power grid attacks that caused major blackout
The FBI Charlotte Field Office is also offering a $25,000 reward in the incident.
No arrests have been made in connection with the substation shootings.
Moore County Sheriff Ronnie Fields said following the attacks that if someone died as a result of the blackout, the suspect or suspects could face murder charges.
ABC News' Bill Hutchinson contributed to this report.
veryGood! (3323)
Related
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Around the world: Michigan man speeds across globe in quest to break Guinness record
- Where the jobs are: Strong hiring in most industries has far outpaced high-profile layoffs
- Why Taylor Swift’s globe-trotting in private jets is getting scrutinized
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Incriminating letter points to the kidnapping of Sacramento father, say prosecutors
- 'Barbie' music producer Mark Ronson opens up about the film's 'bespoke' sound
- Shop Amazon’s Epic Baby Sale & Stock Up on Highly-Rated Essentials from Medela, Dr. Brown's & More
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Corbin Burnes trade grades: Orioles strike gold by acquiring Cy Young winner
Ranking
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Olivia Culpo Reacts After Christian McCaffrey's Mom Says They Can't Afford Super Bowl Suite
- Ohio Attorney General given until Monday to explain rejection of voting rights amendment to court
- Citing media coverage, man charged with killing rapper Young Dolph seeks non-Memphis jury
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- A timeline of what's happened since 3 football fans found dead outside Kansas City home
- NHL players will be in next two Winter Olympics; four-nation tournament announced for 2025
- Tesla ordered to pay $1.5 million over alleged hazardous waste violations in California
Recommendation
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Could Biden shut down the border now? What to know about the latest immigration debate
Civil rights activist, legendary radio host Joe Madison passes away at 74
Taylor Swift could make it to the Super Bowl from Tokyo. Finding private jet parking, that’s tricky.
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Taylor Swift, Travis Kelce conspiracy theories abound on political right with K.C. Chiefs in Super Bowl
Time loop stories aren't all 'Groundhog Day' rip-offs. Time loop stories aren't all...
Shopper-Approved Waterproof Makeup That Will Last You Through All Your Valentine's Day *Ahem* Activities