Current:Home > MyDisney posts solid Q1 results thanks to its theme parks and cost cuts -Capitatum
Disney posts solid Q1 results thanks to its theme parks and cost cuts
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 10:12:36
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The Walt Disney Co. on Wednesday posted stronger-than-expected earnings for the final three months of 2023, boosted by cost cuts and growing revenue from its theme parks business.
CEO Bob Iger said the company is on track to make its streaming services profitable. Helping on this front could be upcoming programming such as Taylor Swift’s “The Eras Tour (Taylor’s Version)” making its streaming debut on Disney+ in March. Disney also announced a sequel to “Moana” coming to theaters this November. And it plans to launch a stand-alone ESPN streaming service in 2025 — different from the sports streaming platform it plans to launch this fall in a joint venture with Fox and Warner Bros. Discovery.
Disney earned $1.91 billion, or $1.04 per share, in its fiscal first quarter. That’s up 49% from $1.28 billion, or 70 cents per share, in the same period a year earlier. Excluding one-time accounting items, the company earned $1.22 per share in the latest quarter.
Revenue was $23.55 billion, roughly the same as last year’s $23.51 billion.
Analysts, on average, were expecting earnings of 99 cents per share on revenue of $23.7 billion, according to a poll by FactSet.
Disney said it is making “significant cost reductions” and reduced its selling, general and other operations expenses by $500 million in the latest quarter. The company cut thousands of jobs in 2023.
The quarter’s results will strengthen Iger’s hand as he tries to guide the company to streaming profitability, said Insider Intelligence analyst Paul Verna. He added that Disney’s goal of making its streaming business profitable by the end of the year “bodes well for Disney’s stock to break out of a years-long slump, and for Iger’s ability to fend off pressure from activist investors who are looking to reshuffle the board and influence succession planning.”
Disney said it lost 1.3 million core subscribers to its Disney+ streaming service during the quarter, but it made more money from each subscriber due to price hikes for the service. It expects to add up to 6 million subscribers in the current quarter.
The company based in Burbank, California, said its theme parks business saw record revenue and operating income during the quarter.
“Our strong performance this past quarter demonstrates we have turned the corner and entered a new era for our company, focused on fortifying ESPN for the future, building streaming into a profitable growth business, reinvigorating our film studios, and turbocharging growth in our parks and experiences,” Iger said in a statement.
Disney also announced it is paying $1.5 billion for a stake in “Fortnite” maker Epic Games, working with the game developer to create a “games and entertainment universe” that will feature games, shows and characters from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, Avatar and more.
“This marks Disney’s biggest entry ever into the world of games and offers significant opportunities for growth and expansion,” Iger said.
The company also plans to buy back up to $3 billion of its stock in fiscal 2024 and declared a cash dividend of 45 cents per share payable to shareholders in July.
Shares of Disney jumped 7% in extended trading after the results came out.
veryGood! (679)
Related
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Review: The simians sizzle, but story fizzles in new 'Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes'
- Biden administration will propose tougher asylum standards for some migrants at the border
- Gypsy Rose Blanchard Shares New Glimpse at Her Transformation
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Pregnant Jenna Dewan Poses Naked in Front of Open Window in Riskiest Photo Yet
- New lawsuit renews challenge to Tennessee laws targeting crossover voting in primary elections
- Some Xavier University students upset with planned commencement address by UN ambassador
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Rules fights and insults slow down South Carolina House on next-to-last day
Ranking
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Louisiana lawmakers reject adding exceptions of rape and incest to abortion ban
- Pennsylvania will make the animal sedative xylazine a controlled substance
- Miss Teen USA UmaSofia Srivastava resigns days after Miss USA Noelia Voigt steps down
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- The Best Desk Accessories and Decor Ideas That Are So Cute, Even Your Colleagues Will Get Jealous
- RFK Jr. says he suffered from a parasitic brain worm and mercury poisoning
- Idaho Murder Case: Former Roommate Reveals Final Text Sent to Victim Madison Mogen
Recommendation
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
West Virginia trooper fatally shoots man who was stabbing another officer
Cardi B Responds to Criticism After Referring to Met Gala Designer Sensen Lii By Race Instead of Name
Alabama schedules second execution by nitrogen gas
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Alabama ethics revamp dies in committee, sponsor says law remains unclear
Pennsylvania House passes bill restricting how social media companies treat minors
California to tap generative AI tools to increase services access, reduce traffic jams