Current:Home > ContactWill Sage Astor-Yusef Salaam, exonerated member of Central Park Five, declares victory in New York City Council race -Capitatum
Will Sage Astor-Yusef Salaam, exonerated member of Central Park Five, declares victory in New York City Council race
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 09:59:27
Yusef Salaam, one of the five teenagers who were wrongfully convicted of raping a woman in Central Park and later exonerated, is leading in a race for New York City Council after Tuesday's Democratic primary.
Salaam declared victory on Tuesday night, although the official results may take several days to be finalized due to the city's ranked choice voting system.
Unofficial results from the city's Board of Elections show Salaam as the first choice of 50.1% of voters, with 99% of scanners reporting as of Wednesday morning. Assemblywoman Inez Dickens, who previously held the seat but had been term-limited out and had the support of Mayor Eric Adams, had 25%, while Assemblyman Al Taylor had 14.4%. Incumbent Kristin Richardson Jordan withdrew from the race.
"This campaign has been about those who have been counted out," he said Tuesday night, according to CBS New York. "This campaign has been about those who have been forgotten. This campaign has been about our Harlem community that has been pushed into the margins of life."
If he prevails in the primary and ultimately the general election, Salaam will be representing the 9th District in the City Council, which includes the part of East Harlem where he grew up.
In 1989, a White woman, Trisha Meili, was jogging in Central Park when she was brutally beaten and raped. Meili, then 28, was found by passersby battered and unconscious, and was so beaten that investigators couldn't immediately identify her. She remained in a coma for 12 days before waking up with brain damage and little memory of the attack.
Investigators focused on five teens — Salaam, Antron McCray, Kevin Richardson, Raymond Santana and Korey Wise — who had been in the park that night, and the case set off a media frenzy. They were referred to as the "Wolf Pack," and then-businessman Donald Trump took out a full-page ad in The New York Times calling for a return to the death penalty for the teens.
The teens — then aged 14 to 16 — confessed to being there, but none of them actually confessed to committing the offense and instead blamed others. Their confessions also did not match the details of the attack, and came after lengthy interrogations by police, leading to questions that their statements had been coerced. Although there were inconsistencies in their accounts — and police did not start recording the sessions until the confessions began — prosecutors relied heavily on them in the trial. As "CBS Evening News" reported at the time, there was no blood on their clothing, there was no match for semen and the DNA tests came back negative.
But the teens were all convicted anyway in a 1990 trial, and they all served between seven and a half to 13 and a half years in prison.
A decade later, Matias Reyes, a convicted rapist, confessed to the crime while behind bars, and DNA evidence corroborated his account. In 2002, the five defendants' convictions were vacated. They later settled a lawsuit with New York City for $41 million, or roughly $1 million for each year served.
Salaam told "CBS Sunday Morning" in 2019 that "no amount of money could have given us our time back."
The five are now known as the "Exonerated Five," and Salaam on Tuesday night vowed to find solutions to address the failures of the criminal justice system.
- In:
- New York City
- New York City Council
- Central Park Five
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Tennessee zoo reveals name of rare giraffe without spots – Kipekee. Here's what it means.
- The 30 Most-Loved Fall Favorites From Amazon With Thousands of 5-Star Reviews: Clothes, Decor, and More
- Kia, Ford, Harley-Davidson among 611,000 vehicles recalled: Check car recalls here
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Amid dispute with Spectrum, Disney urges cable viewers to switch to its Hulu+ service
- Mark Meadows, John Eastman plead not guilty and waive arraignment
- Ex-Italy leader claims France accidentally shot down passenger jet in 1980 bid to kill Qaddafi
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- The Best Labor Day 2023 Sales You Can Still Shop: Nordstrom Rack, Ulta, Sephora, Madewell, and More
Ranking
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Ex-Italy leader claims France accidentally shot down passenger jet in 1980 bid to kill Qaddafi
- Boy, 10, weaves and speeds on freeway, troopers say, before they charge his father with letting him drive
- Coco Gauff makes first US Open semifinal after routing Jelena Ostapenko
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Kim Jong Un and Putin may meet. What do North Korea and Russia need from each other?
- Timeline of events leading to the impeachment of Republican Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton
- U.N. nuclear agency reports with regret no progress in monitoring Iran's growing enrichment program
Recommendation
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Steve Harwell, former Smash Mouth frontman, dies at 56, representative says
Pennsylvania manhunt for escaped killer Danelo Cavalcante intensifies after latest sighting
Mother bear with 2 cubs is shot dead, sparking outrage in Italy
Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
Voters concerned with Biden's economy, Smash Mouth's Steve Harwell dies: 5 Things podcast
California woman accused in $2 million murder-for-hire plot to kill husband
Saudi Arabia and Russia move to extend oil cuts could drive up gas prices