Current:Home > reviewsDefendant who attacked judge in wild courtroom video will face her again in Las Vegas -Capitatum
Defendant who attacked judge in wild courtroom video will face her again in Las Vegas
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 09:34:07
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A defendant who was captured in courtroom video leaping over a judge’s bench and attacking her, touching off a bloody brawl, is scheduled to appear before her again Monday morning.
In his Jan. 3 appearance before Clark County District Court Judge Mary Kay Holthus, Deobra Redden, who was facing prison time for a felony battery charge stemming from a baseball bat attack last year, tried to convince the judge that he was turning around his violent past.
Redden asked for leniency while describing himself as “a person who never stops trying to do the right thing no matter how hard it is.”
But when it became clear Holthus was going to sentence him to prison time, and as the court marshal moved to handcuff and take him into custody, Redden yelled expletives and charged forward. People in the courtroom audience, including his foster mother, began to scream.
Redden vaulted a defense table, dove over the judge’s bench and landed atop Holthus. The video showed the judge falling back against a wall and an American flag toppling on them.
Redden “supermanned over the judicial bench,” Jerry Wiese, the court’s chief judge, said in a description of the leap to reach Holthus.
The defendant, who had grabbed the judge’s hair, had to be wrestled off her by her clerk, Michael Lasso, and several court and jail officers, some of whom threw punches. Lasso was treated for cuts on his hands and a marshal was hospitalized for a dislocated shoulder and a gash on his forehead.
Holthus suffered some injuries but was back to work the next day.
Wiese credited Lasso for acting quickly, saying he was the “primary person” who pulled Redden off the judge “and probably kept her from having more severe injuries.”
Redden’s defense attorney, Caesar Almase, declined to comment.
Redden was jailed on $54,000 bail in connection with the attack but refused to return to court the next day on the new charges, so a judge rescheduled his next appearance in that case for Tuesday. Records show he faces charges including extortion, coercion with force and battery on a protected person, referring to the judge and the officers who came to her aid.
At the Monday appearance, Holthus is expected to continue sentencing in Redden’s other case, involving the baseball bat attack. He initially was charged with assault but reached a deal with prosecutors and pleaded guilty in November to a reduced charge of attempted battery resulting in substantial injuries.
Redden’s criminal record is marked by mostly violent offenses and includes prior convictions for three felonies and nine misdemeanors, District Attorney Steve Wolfson said.
“He’s been violent his entire adult life,” Wolfson said.
Redden, 30, had tried to convince the judge otherwise Wednesday.
“I’m not a rebellious person,” he told her, adding that he didn’t think he should be sent to prison. “But if it’s appropriate for you, then you have to do what you have to do.”
Redden was not shackled or wearing jail attire at the time of the attack because he had been released from custody while awaiting sentencing.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Selling Sunset's Chelsea Lazkani Admits She Orchestrated Bre Tiesi's Allegation About Jeff Lazkani
- Latest Georgia football player arrested for reckless driving comes two days before SEC opener
- Former President Barack Obama surprises Team USA at Solheim Cup
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Young climate activists ask US Supreme Court to revive their lawsuit against the government
- Biden administration appears to be in no rush to stop U.S. Steel takeover by Nippon Steel
- Officials ignored warning signs prior to young girl’s death at the hands of her father, lawsuit says
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- A river otter attacks a child at a Seattle-area marina
Ranking
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- 50,000 gallons of water were used to extinguish fiery Tesla crash on California highway
- Why Britney Spears Will Likely Still Pay Child Support to Ex Kevin Federline After Jayden's 18th Birthday
- Gunman says he heard ‘killing voices’ before Colorado supermarket shooting
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Should Dolphins QB Tua Tagovailoa retire? Hall of Famer Tony Gonzalez advises, 'It might be time'
- Disney, DirecTV reach agreement in time for college football Week 3
- Lil Tay's Account Says She's Been Diagnosed With a Heart Tumor One Year After Death Hoax
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Lucy Hale Details Hitting Rock Bottom 3 Years Ago Due to Alcohol Addiction
Sam Bankman-Fried’s lawyers claim in an appeal that he was judged too quickly
Man drives pickup truck onto field at Colorado Buffaloes' football stadium
How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
State Department diplomatic security officer pleads guilty to storming Capitol
WNBA legend Diana Taurasi not done yet after Phoenix Mercury hint at retirement
Biden administration appears to be in no rush to stop U.S. Steel takeover by Nippon Steel