Current:Home > FinanceUS shoots down Turkish drone after it came too close to US troops in Syria -Capitatum
US shoots down Turkish drone after it came too close to US troops in Syria
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 09:26:29
WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. military on Thursday shot down a Turkish drone that had come in too close to U.S. troops on the ground in Hasakah, Syria, two U.S. officials told The Associated Press. One official said the drone was armed.
The official also said the shootdown was ordered after more than a dozen calls to Turkish military officials stating U.S. forces were on the ground in the area and the U.S. military would engage in self-defense if the drone didn’t leave the area.
The other official said the drone had been flying in an “unsafe” and “unsychronized” manner. Typically, the U.S. and Turkish militaries, which are NATO allies, work in close coordination in conducting air maneuvers. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the incident before an announcement.
The U.S. has about 900 troops in Syria conducting missions to counter Islamic State group militants.
The incident follows intensified airstrikes Wednesday by Turkey in Iraq and Syria against Kurdish militant targets following a suicide attack outside Turkey’s interior ministry building earlier this week.
In a press conference following the attack, Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said Turkish intelligence officials have established that the two assailants arrived from Syria, where they had been trained. He said Turkey would now target facilities in Syria and Iraq belonging to the Kurdistan Workers’ Party, or PKK, or its affiliated Kurdish militia group in Syria, which is known as People’s Defense Units, or YPG.
The incident risks adding to longstanding tensions between Turkey and the United States, even as Turkey is a strategically important ally and NATO member. U.S. officials and lawmakers have criticized Turkey’s human rights record and its delays in agreeing to Swedish membership in NATO. Turkey has been frustrated by U.S. delays in approving 40 new F-16 fighter jets as well as kits to upgrade its existing fleet.
In 2016, Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan accused the U.S. of supporting a failed coup attempt against his government. The U.S. has flatly rejected the claims but has also refused to extradite the leader of the group Erdogan claims was behind the attempt, cleric Fetullah Gulen, who lives in exile in Pennsylvania.
The U.S. has designated the PKK as a “foreign terrorist organization” but has declined to make a similar determination regarding the YPK, which have been a key partner of the U.S. in the fight against the Islamic State group in northern Syria. The U.S. does not believe the YPG represents a threat to Turkey.
As recently as Wednesday, the State Department said there was no change in how the U.S. regards the YPG.
___
Associated Press writer Lolita C. Baldor contributed.
veryGood! (85464)
Related
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Strike over privatizing Sao Paulo’s public transport causes crowds and delays in city of 11 million
- Who could be a fit for Carolina Panthers head coaching job? Here are 10 candidates to know
- Mark Cuban reportedly plans to leave ABC's 'Shark Tank' after more than a decade
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- 'The Golden Bachelor' finale: Release date, how to watch Gerry Turner find love in finale
- Horoscopes Today, November 27, 2023
- Panthers fire Frank Reich after 11 games and name Chris Tabor their interim head coach
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- North Korea restores border guard posts as tensions rise over its satellite launch, Seoul says
Ranking
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- In new challenge to indictment, Trump’s lawyers argue he had good basis to question election results
- Russian court extends detention of Wall Street Journal reporter Gershkovich until end of January
- Taika Waititi says he directed 'Thor' because he was 'poor' with 2 kids: 'I had no interest'
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Man who wounded 14 in Pennsylvania elementary school with machete dies in prison 22 years later
- Pope Francis battling lung inflammation on intravenous antibiotics but Vatican says his condition is good
- Belarus raids apartments of opposition activists as part of sweeping probe called latest crackdown
Recommendation
Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
High stakes and glitz mark the vote in Paris for the 2030 World Expo host
Kylie Jenner reveals she and Jordyn Woods stayed friends after Tristan Thompson scandal
Robert De Niro says Apple, Gotham Awards cut his anti-Trump speech: 'How dare they do that'
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Mark Cuban Leaving Shark Tank After Season 16
Vanderpump Rules' Tom Sandoval Weighs in on Ariana Madix's New Boyfriend Daniel Wai
In new challenge to indictment, Trump’s lawyers argue he had good basis to question election results