Current:Home > StocksPolice have upped their use of Maine’s ‘yellow flag’ law since the state’s deadliest mass shooting -Capitatum
Police have upped their use of Maine’s ‘yellow flag’ law since the state’s deadliest mass shooting
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 02:23:35
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — There has been a huge jump in law enforcement requests for Maine courts to allow guns to be seized from people deemed a danger to themselves or others since the deadliest mass shooting in state history, the governor said Friday.
Maine’s extreme risk protection order law was strengthened after an Army reservist killed 18 people at two locations in the city of Lewiston last October. Since the attacks, the law has been used 15 times more often than it was during the three previous years, Gov. Janet Mills said at a news conference.
“It is clear that, following last year’s tragedy, more and more law enforcement officers across the state are taking this law seriously, have taken state-provided training on its use, and are now using it on a daily basis to remove firearms from those who should not have them,” Mills said.
The governor didn’t say how often courts granted the requests under the beefed-up statute. Gun control advocates say these so-called yellow flag and red flag laws are crucial to keeping firearms out of the hands of dangerous people, including people with serious mental illnesses. Some in the gun lobby argue that such laws infringe on people’s constitutional right to bear arms.
Mills’ news conference came hours after the state police released a report that outlines the lessons learned following the Oct. 25, 2023, mass shooting and makes multiple recommendations for improvements in tactical response, incident management, training and other areas.
One of the report’s primary recommendations is that the state police incorporate new active-shooter training “for a more coordinated response during significant incidents and/or mass casualty incidents.”
The shooting took place at a bowling alley and a bar and grille. The shooter was later revealed to be an Army reservist whose mental health had been deteriorating in the months before the attacks.
Shooter Robert Card was found dead after the shootings following a lengthy search. Mills tasked an independent commission with reviewing the circumstances surrounding the attack.
The commission released its own report last month, and Mills commented on it publicly for the first time on Friday. The report states that the Army Reserve and police missed opportunities to intervene in Card’s psychiatric crisis and initiate steps to seize his weapons.
The governor said she agreed with those conclusions. She also said the Sagadahoc County Sheriff’s Office could have invoked the risk protection order but did not.
“At its core, this tragedy was caused by a colossal failure of human judgment by several people, on several occasions; a profound negligence that — as the commission rightly stated — was an abdication of responsibility,” Mills said.
Mills also acknowledged the newly released findings of the state police review. The New England State Police Administrators Compact will conduct an independent review of the new report, the state police said. Mills said she applauded that move.
The state police report wasn’t just a run-down of what went wrong. It also details areas in which authorities met best practice standards. In a section assessing the work of the Maine State Police Tactical Team, officials concluded “the manhunt was an overall success,” with Card being located within 48 hours without any further injury to the public or law enforcement.
But the report also highlighted other problems, including an “overwhelming and uncontrolled influx” of self-deployed officers to the scene.
The report describes the response to two 911 hang-up calls from the home of Card’s mother. While one tactical unit prepared to send an armored vehicle, a group of U.S. marshals arrived and cleared the residence. In another example, a team in an armored vehicle sped onto a bridge near the location where Card’s car was found, nearly striking other law enforcement officers working there in the dark.
The report recommends that warnings about self-deployment be made part of annual police training, and that during emergencies, officers should advise the command post of their response or wait to be dispatched.
It also recommends searching a suspect’s home as soon as possible, noting that Card’s home wasn’t searched until more than 14 hours after the shooting.
“Areas of interest, such as the suspect’s vehicle, need to be processed for apprehension intel immediately, not many hours later,” it states.
___
Ramer reported from Concord, New Hampshire.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Google pays nearly $392 million to settle sweeping location-tracking case
- Elon Musk suggests his SpaceX company will keep funding satellites in Ukraine
- Russia blames Ukraine for car bombing that injured pro-Putin novelist Zakhar Prilepin, killed driver
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Elon Musk said Twitter wouldn't become a 'hellscape.' It's already changing
- Sephora 24-Hour Flash Sale: 50% Off Foreo and More
- Tesla's first European factory needs more water to expand. Drought stands in its way
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Transcript: Sen. Kyrsten Sinema on Face the Nation, May 7, 2023
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Google is now distributing Truth Social, Trump's Twitter alternative
- Ed Sheeran Shares Name of Baby No. 2 With Wife Cherry Seaborn
- FTX investors fear they lost everything, and wonder if there's anything they can do
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- 10 Customer-Loved Lululemon Sports Bras for Cup Sizes From A to G
- How TikTok's High-Maintenance Beauty Trend Is Actually Low-Maintenance
- Prince Harry at the coronation: How the royal ceremonies had him on the sidelines
Recommendation
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
Olivia Culpo Teases So Much Drama With Sisters Sophia and Aurora Culpo
Twitter employees quit in droves after Elon Musk's ultimatum passes
Looking to leave Twitter? Here are the social networks seeing new users now
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
FTC sues to block the $69 billion Microsoft-Activision Blizzard merger
Everything We Know About Yellowjackets Season 2
FTC sues to block the $69 billion Microsoft-Activision Blizzard merger