Current:Home > InvestNorth Carolina offers schools $1 million to help take students on field trips -Capitatum
North Carolina offers schools $1 million to help take students on field trips
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 00:29:14
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina public schools can seek financial assistance from the state to take students on field trips to state museums, aquariums and historic sites through a $1 million pilot project unveiled on Wednesday by Gov. Roy Cooper’s administration.
The Democratic governor and state Natural and Cultural Resources Secretary Reid Wilson visited the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences in downtown Raleigh to announce the “ Learning Happens Here Field Trip Fund.” K-12 schools can seek reimbursements for the cost of students visiting any of more than 100 locations managed by Wilson’s department. That could include things like entry fees, transportation or meals.
Title I schools — those with high percentages of students from low-income families — will receive priority preference for the grants, which will be administered by the PBS North Carolina television network on behalf of the Department of Natural and Cultural Resources. A yet-determined amount of the $1 million also will be set aside for western North Carolina schools affected by Hurricane Helene ‘s historic flooding.
Cooper and Wilson, who interacted with some third graders from a Raleigh school visiting a museum room, recalled the excitement of going on field trips as students and the lasting memories they provided.
“These moments can open the doors for kids to explore things they hadn’t thought about before,” Wilson said. “That could be the spark that sets that child on a course for the rest of their life.”
Applications need to be submitted online at least eight weeks before the planned field trip. The pilot project money comes from federal American Rescue Plan funds, a spokesperson for the Department of Natural and Cultural Resources said.
State and local governments must obligate all their American Rescue Plan funds for specific projects by the end of this year or else return the rest to the U.S. Treasury.
veryGood! (264)
Related
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Transcript: University of California president Michael Drake on Face the Nation, July 2, 2023
- Ousted Standing Rock Leader on the Pipeline Protest That Almost Succeeded
- Kim Zolciak Won't Be Tardy to Drop Biermann From Her Instagram Name
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Second bus of migrants sent from Texas to Los Angeles
- What the BLM Shake-Up Could Mean for Public Lands and Their Climate Impact
- Wednesday's Percy Hynes White Denies Baseless, Harmful Misconduct Accusations
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- As Special Envoy for Climate, John Kerry Will Be No Stranger to International Climate Negotiations
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- What does a hot dog eating contest do to your stomach? Experts detail the health effects of competitive eating.
- After Dozens of Gas Explosions, a Community Looks for Alternatives to Natural Gas
- The history of Ferris wheels: What goes around comes around
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Appalachia Could Get a Giant Solar Farm, If Ohio Regulators Approve
- That $3 Trillion-a-Year Clean Energy Transformation? It’s Already Underway.
- Kim Kardashian Addresses Rumors She and Pete Davidson Rekindled Their Romance Last Year
Recommendation
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Ousted Standing Rock Leader on the Pipeline Protest That Almost Succeeded
World’s Current Fossil Fuel Plans Will Shatter Paris Climate Limits, UN Warns
Massachusetts Raises the Bar (Just a Bit) on Climate Ambition
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
Texas Charges Oil Port Protesters Under New Fossil Fuel Protection Law
Did Exxon Mislead Investors About Climate-Related Risks? It’s Now Up to a Judge to Decide.
See Brandi Glanville and Eddie Cibrian's 19-Year-Old Son Mason Make His Major Modeling Debut