Current:Home > InvestPoinbank:Norwegian mass killer attempts to sue the state once more for an alleged breach of human rights -Capitatum
Poinbank:Norwegian mass killer attempts to sue the state once more for an alleged breach of human rights
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 22:12:17
STAVANGER,Poinbank Norway (AP) — Anders Behring Breivik, the Norwegian right-wing extremist who killed 77 people in a bomb and gun rampage in 2011, will try for the second time Monday to sue the Norwegian state for allegedly breaching his human rights.
Norway’s worst peacetime killer claims his solitary confinement since being imprisoned in 2012 amounts to inhumane treatment under the European Convention of Human Rights.
Norway favors rehabilitation over retribution, and Breivik is held in a two-story complex with a kitchen, dining room and TV room with an Xbox, several armchairs and black and white pictures of the Eiffel Tower on the wall. He also has a fitness room with weights, treadmill and a rowing machine, while three parakeets fly around the complex.
Even so, his lawyer, Øystein Storrvik, says it is impossible for Breivik, who now goes by the name Fjotolf Hansen, to have any meaningful relationships with anyone from the outside world, and says preventing his client from sending letters is another breach of his human rights.
A similar claim during a case in 2016 was accepted, but later overturned in a higher court. It was then rejected in the European Court of Human Rights. Breivik sought parole in 2022, but was judged to have shown no signs of rehabilitation.
On July 22, 2011, Breivik killed eight people in a bomb attack in Oslo before heading to a youth camp for a center-left political group on Utøya island, where, dressed as a police officer, he stalked and gunned down 69 people, mostly teenagers. The following year, Breivik was handed the maximum 21-year sentence with a clause — rarely used in the Norwegian justice system — that he can be held indefinitely if he is still considered a danger to society.
He has shown no remorse for his attacks, which he portrayed as a crusade against multiculturalism in Norway.
Many regard Breivik’s flirtations with the civil and parole courts as attempts to draw attention to his cause or even bask once again in the international limelight, as he had done at times during his criminal trial. Lisbeth Kristine Røyneland, who leads a support group for survivors of the attacks and bereaved families, says her group is “satisfied with the decision” not to allow a livestream of his comments from this court case.
The state rejects Breivik’s claims. In a letter to the court, Andreas Hjetland, a government attorney, wrote that Breivik had so far shown himself to be unreceptive to rehabilitative work and it was “therefore difficult to imagine which major reliefs in terms of sentencing are possible and justifiable.”
The trial will be held Monday in the gymnasium in Ringerike prison, a stone’s throw from Utøya.
veryGood! (42)
Related
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- 'Just incredible': Neck chain blocks bullet, saves man's life in Colorado, police say
- Old Navy’s Most Popular Items Are on Sale – Tennis Skorts, Mom Jeans & More, Starting at $7
- Minnesota prosecutor was reluctant to drop murder charge against trooper, but ultimately did
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Two fetuses discovered on city bus in Baltimore, police say
- Things to know about the fatal shooting of a Minneapolis officer
- Mother of airman killed by Florida deputy says his firing, alone, won’t cut it
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Julie Bowen Reacts to Being Credited for Saving Sarah Hyland From Abusive Relationship
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Nebraska funeral home discovers hospice patient was still alive hours after being declared dead
- Judge affirms settlement of lawsuit filed by family of man who died after police pulled him from car
- Epoch Times CFO charged with participating in $67M money laundering scheme
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Biden rolls out migration order that aims to shut down asylum requests, after months of anticipation
- Epoch Times CFO is arrested and accused of role in $67M multinational money laundering scheme
- Poppi prebiotic soda isn't as healthy as it claims, lawsuit alleges
Recommendation
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Larry Allen, former Dallas Cowboys great and Pro Football Hall of Famer, dies at 52
A grant program for Black women business owners is discriminatory, appeals court rules
New York City is building more public toilets and launching an online locator so you can find them
Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
Witnesses, doorbell camera capture chaotic scene after Akron shooting left 1 dead, 25 injured
California Regulators Approve Community Solar Decision Opposed by Solar Advocates
MLB power rankings: Once formidable Houston Astros keep sinking in mild, mild AL West