Current:Home > ScamsSean 'Diddy' Combs, Cassie settle bombshell lawsuit alleging rape, abuse, sex trafficking -Capitatum
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, Cassie settle bombshell lawsuit alleging rape, abuse, sex trafficking
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 09:33:37
Diddy and Cassie have reached a settlement, one day after the singer accused the music mogul of rape, sex trafficking and physical abuse in a lawsuit.
The parties said Friday that a resolution had been reached in the case in a release sent by attorney Douglas Wigdor; they did not disclose a settlement amount. Casandra Ventura, known professionally as singer Cassie, filed a sex trafficking and sexual assault lawsuit Thursday against ex-boyfriend Sean "Diddy" Combs in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, according to court documents obtained by USA TODAY.
In a statement Friday, Cassie said, "I have decided to resolve this matter amicably on terms that I have some level of control. I want to thank my family, fans and lawyers for their unwavering support."
"We have decided to resolve this matter amicably. I wish Cassie and her family all the best," Combs said in a separate statement. "Love."
The suit, which named Combs and his companies including Bad Boy Entertainment, Bad Boy Records, Combs Enterprises, LLC, and Epic Records, sought unspecified monetary damages.
The lawsuit alleges that Cassie, who began a professional and sexual relationship with the rap mogul when she was 19, was trafficked, raped and viciously beat by Combs over the course of a decade.
"After years in silence and darkness, I am finally ready to tell my story, and to speak up on behalf of myself and for the benefit of other women who face violence and abuse in their relationships," Cassie said in a statement Thursday. "With the expiration of New York's Adult Survivors Act fast approaching, it became clear that this was an opportunity to speak up about the trauma I have experienced and that I will be recovering from for the rest of my life."
Inside the lawsuit:Sean 'Diddy' Combs accused by Cassie of sex trafficking, rape and physical abuse in lawsuit
In a statement provided Thursday to USA TODAY, Combs denied Cassie's "offensive and outrageous" allegations and accused his ex of extortion.
"For the past six months, Mr. Combs has been subjected to Ms. Ventura's persistent demand of $30 million, under the threat of writing a damaging book about their relationship, which was unequivocally rejected as blatant blackmail," the statement read. "Despite withdrawing her initial threat, Ms. Ventura has now resorted to filing a lawsuit riddled with baseless and outrageous lies, aiming to tarnish Mr. Combs' reputation and seeking a pay day."
The settlement avoids the potential of a trial for both Combs and Ventura, who could have faced a public process of legal discovery and cross-examination in the courtroom.
Wigdor, Ventura's lawyer, "commended" his client for coming forward with her claims. "I am very proud of Ms. Ventura for having the strength to go public with her lawsuit," he said Friday in a statement.
Ben Brafman, Combs' lawyer, added Saturday in a statement to USA TODAY: "Just so we're clear, a decision to settle a lawsuit, especially in 2023, is in no way an admission of wrongdoing. Mr. Combs' decision to settle the lawsuit does not in any way undermine his flat-out denial of the claims. He is happy they got to a mutual settlement and wishes Ms. Ventura the best."
Cassie details rape, abuse in lawsuit against ex Diddy
Cassie met a then-37-year-old Combs in 2005 after the rap mogul became interested in signing her to Bad Boy Records. After being lured into an "ostentatious, fast-paced and drug-fueled lifestyle" and a romantic relationship with Combs, Cassie alleges in the lawsuit that Combs "took control" of her life – ranging from her healthcare to her career opportunities – and plied her with drugs and alcohol.
The complaint alleges Combs also forced Cassie into "repeated unwanted sexual encounters" with male prostitutes who he hired and recorded their encounters. Despite her efforts to escape Combs' abuse, Cassie was repeatedly tracked down by Combs' "vast network of corporations and affiliated entities" and compelled to return to him, per the singer's filing. She also alleges Combs was "prone to uncontrollable rage and frequently beat" and kicked her, leaving her with bruises and emotional scarring that she says led to "intensive medical and psychological care."
Following "concerted efforts" to break away from the relationship, Cassie joined Combs for dinner at an Italian restaurant in Malibu, California, in September 2018, according to the lawsuit. The singer was under the impression they would be having "a discussion about concluding their relationship for good."
After the encounter, Cassie alleges Combs forced her into her apartment and tried to kiss her. Despite his sexual advances being denied, Combs then proceeded to rape her.
Combs and Cassie began dating in 2007 and had an on-and-off relationship for more than a decade.
She became known for the Ryan Leslie-produced hit single "Me & U," which secured the No. 1 spot on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart in 2006. The song was the lead single off her only studio album, which was self-titled.
Combs built one of hip-hop's biggest empires, blazing a trail with several entities attached to his famous name. He is the founder of Bad Boy Records and a three-time Grammy winner who has worked with a slew of top-tier artists including Notorious B.I.G., Mary J. Blige, Usher, Lil Kim, Faith Evans and 112.
NYPD deny criminal investigation into Diddy
The New York Police Department denied an active criminal investigation into Combs in a statement from the department’s deputy commissioner public information spokesperson to USA TODAY on Friday.
"There is no such investigation, at present. The NYPD always treats allegations of sexual assault and rape extremely seriously, and urges anyone who has been a victim to file a police report so that support and services can be offered to survivors and a comprehensive investigation can be conducted."
Danity Kane members support Cassie on social media
Cassie's former Bad Boy Records labelmates D. Woods, Dawn Richard and Aubrey O'Day, of the R&B group Danity Kane, came out in support of the singer amid her accusations against Combs.
O'Day, who was part of the group formed on MTV's "Making the Band" series in 2005 by Combs, wrote on her Instagram stories, and later X, formerly Twitter, that she's been "trying to tell y'all."
On X, Richard wrote that she is praying for "peace and healing" for Cassie, calling her "brave."
D. Woods followed with her own Instagram post, which read: "Self worth, peace of mind and the right to speak your TRUTH... Cassie @cassie you are incredibly brave to shine light on what you endured in the dark. I'm sorry you had to go through it alone. (I'm) praying for your continued strength and I offer my full support to you."
If you are a survivor of sexual assault, RAINN offers support through the National Sexual Assault Hotline (800.656.HOPE & online.rainn.org).
If you are a victim of domestic violence, The National Domestic Violence Hotline (thehotline.org) allows you to speak confidentially with trained advocates online or by the phone, which they recommend for those who think their online activity is being monitored by their abuser (800-799-7233). They can help survivors develop a plan to achieve safety for themselves and their children.
Contributing: Edward Segarra
veryGood! (764)
Related
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- The hidden costs of unpaid caregiving in America
- Peep Dua Lipa’s Polarizing Belly Button Dress at TIME100 Gala Red Carpet
- Man indicted in cold case killing of retired Indiana farmer found shot to death in his home
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Trading Trump: Truth Social’s first month of trading has sent investors on a ride
- Bears have prime opportunity to pick a superstar receiver in draft for Caleb Williams
- How your money can grow like gangbusters if you stick to the plan
- Sam Taylor
- 17 states challenge federal rules entitling workers to accommodations for abortion
Ranking
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Building at end of Southern California pier catches fire, sending smoke billowing onto beach
- What Matty Healy's Mom Has to Say About Taylor Swift's The Tortured Poets Department
- Georgia hires one of Simone Biles' coaches to lead women's gymnastics team
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Hiker falls 300 feet to his death in Curry County, Oregon; investigation underway
- Florida Panthers, Carolina Hurricanes take commanding 3-0 leads in NHL playoffs
- As Netanyahu compares U.S. university protests to Nazi Germany, young Palestinians welcome the support
Recommendation
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
Christine Quinn Accuses Ex of Planting Recording Devices and a Security Guard at Home in Emergency Filing
4 die in fiery crash as Pennsylvania police pursued their vehicle
Gay actor’s speech back on at Pennsylvania school after cancellation over his ‘lifestyle’
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Charlie Woods fails to qualify for US Open in his first attempt, shooting a 9-over 81
Trading Trump: Truth Social’s first month of trading has sent investors on a ride
Recreational marijuana backers can gather signatures for North Dakota ballot initiative