Current:Home > NewsSurpassing:Federal judge poised to prohibit separating migrant families at US border for 8 years -Capitatum
Surpassing:Federal judge poised to prohibit separating migrant families at US border for 8 years
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 10:51:12
SAN DIEGO (AP) — A federal judge was poised Friday to prohibit separation of families at the border for purposes of deterring immigration for eight years,Surpassing preemptively blocking resumption of a lightning-rod, Trump-era policy that the former president hasn’t ruled out if voters return him to the White House next year.
U.S. District Judge Dana Sabraw tentatively approved a court settlement in October between the Justice Department and families represented by the American Civil Liberties Union. The ACLU says no one formally objected, clearing the way to end the case nearly seven years after it was filed.
Sabraw, who was appointed by President George W. Bush, ordered an end to separations in June 2018, six days after then-President Donald Trump halted them on his own amid intense international backlash. The judge also ordered that the government reunite children with their parents within 30 days, setting off a mad scramble because government databases weren’t linked. Children had been dispersed to shelters across the country that didn’t know who their parents were or how to find them.
Under the proposed settlement, the type of “zero-tolerance” policy under which the Trump administration separated more than 5,000 children from parents who were arrested for illegally entering the country would be prohibited until December 2031.
Children may still be separated but under limited circumstances, as has been the case for years. They include if the child is believed to be abused, if the parent is convicted of serious crimes or if there are doubts that the adult is the parent.
Families that were separated may be eligible for other benefits — legal status for up to three years on humanitarian parole; reunification in the United States at government expense; one year of housing; three years of counseling; legal aid in immigration court. But the settlement doesn’t pay families any money. In 2021, the Biden administration considered compensating parents and children hundreds of thousands of dollars each, but talks stalled.
As he seeks to return to the White House in next year’s elections, Trump has been noncommittal whether he would try to resume family separations. He defended the results in an interview with Univision last month, claiming without evidence that it “stopped people from coming by the hundreds of thousands.”
“When you hear that you’re going to be separated from your family, you don’t come. When you think you’re going to come into the United States with your family, you come,” Trump said.
veryGood! (27)
Related
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- The Excerpt podcast: Food addiction is real. Here's how to spot it and how to fight it.
- Southern hospitality: More people moved to the South last year than any other region.
- 'Insecure' actress DomiNque Perry accuses Darius Jackson's brother Sarunas of abuse
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Beaten to death over cat's vet bills: Pennsylvania man arrested for allegedly killing wife
- Iran sends a hip-hop artist who rapped about hijab protests back to jail
- Southern hospitality: More people moved to the South last year than any other region.
- 'Most Whopper
- Federal Reserve’s preferred inflation gauge shows price pressures continuing to cool
Ranking
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Kathy Hilton Shares Shocking Update on Status of Feud With RHOBH Costar Lisa Rinna
- Ex-health secretary Matt Hancock defends his record at UK’s COVID inquiry
- UK government intervenes in potential takeover of Telegraph newspaper by Abu Dhabi-backed fund
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- County attorney kicks case against driver in deadly bicyclists crash to city court
- Death Cab for Cutie, The Postal Service extend 20th anniversary concert tour with 16 new dates
- Detainees in El Salvador’s gang crackdown cite abuse during months in jail
Recommendation
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
'Christmas at Graceland' on NBC: How to watch Lainey Wilson, John Legend's Elvis tributes
See Blue Ivy and Beyoncé's Buzzing Moment at Renaissance Film London Premiere
El Salvador’s President Nayib Bukele requests leave to campaign for reelection
Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
UN atomic chief backs nuclear power at COP28 as world reckons with proliferation
O-Town's Ashley Parker Angel Shares Rare Insight Into His Life Outside of the Spotlight
'When it comes to luck, you make your own.' 50 motivational quotes for peak inspiration