Current:Home > ScamsFormer Bad Boy Rapper Shyne Barrow Says Sean "Diddy" Combs "Destroyed" His Life -Capitatum
Former Bad Boy Rapper Shyne Barrow Says Sean "Diddy" Combs "Destroyed" His Life
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 00:14:13
A former rapper on Sean "Diddy" Combs' Bad Boy Records is speaking out amid the music mogul's arrest.
Moses "Shyne" Barrow—who was Diddy's protégé during the '90s and is now the Leader of the Opposition in the Belize House of Representatives—recently addressed his association with the 54-year-old, calling him "someone who destroyed my life."
"When I was an 18-year-old kid—just wanting to do nothing other than make my mother proud, make Belize proud and be recognized for my talent and take over the world—I was defending him," Shyne said in a Sept. 18 press conference in his native country. "He pretty much sent me to prison."
Shyne was previously convicted of first-degree assault for a 1999 New York nightclub shooting involving himself, Diddy and another guest. He served nine years in prison, while Diddy was acquitted of all charges after testifying in court that he acted in self-defense.
Upon his release in 2009, Shyne was deported back to Belize, where he currently lives.
"This is not someone who I vacationed with and someone who I enjoyed this great, intimate relationship of brotherhood," Shyne told reporters of Diddy, noting that he only reconciled with the Grammy winner in recent years "for the better interest of Belize because he was in the position at that time to give scholarships."
The 45-year-old added, "I would not deny attempting to bring the investment to Belize and bring the contributions to education."
E! News has reached out to Diddy's lawyer for comment about Shyne's accusations but hasn't heard back.
Shyne's press conference came two days after Diddy was arrested in New York on charges of racketeering conspiracy, sex trafficking and transportation to engage in prostitution.
In a federal indictment, prosecutors accused the "Bad Boy for Life" rapper of coercing women into participating in sexual performances—which he allegedly dubbed "Freak Offs"—with male commercial sex workers. During the performances, which authorities said occurred regularly for hours or even days, Diddy allegedly "arranged, directed, masturbated during, and often electronically recorded" the sex acts, per court documents.
Diddy has pleaded not guilty to the charges, with a judge denying bail ahead of his trial.
“He’s going to fight this with all of his energy and all of his might,” his attorney Marc Agnifilo told reporters outside the courthouse prior to the arraignment, “and the full confidence of his lawyers."
For a complete timeline into Diddy’s legal troubles, keep reading.
Federal agents with Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) executed search warrants at Sean “Diddy” Combs’ Los Angeles and Miami properties on March 25, multiple law enforcement sources confirmed to NBC News.
The sources told the outlet the warrant was out of the Southern District of New York, and a spokesperson for HSI New York confirmed to E! News it “executed law enforcement actions as part of an ongoing investigation, with assistance from HSI Los Angeles, HSI Miami, and our local law enforcement partners.”
Law enforcement sources told NBC News the music mogul was in the Miami area when the search warrants were executed.
News about the investigation broke after Combs faced allegations of sexual misconduct in lawsuits filed by multiple accusers starting in November, with the musician denying the allegations.
“Sickening allegations have been made against me by individuals looking for a quick payday,” he wrote in a December statement posted on Instagram. “Let me be absolutely clear: I did not do any of the awful things being alleged. I will fight for my name, my family and for the truth.”
The day after HSI executed the search warrants at Combs' L.A. and Miami properties, his lawyer spoke out.
"Yesterday, there was a gross overuse of military-level force as search warrants were executed at Mr. Combs' residences," attorney Aaron Dyer said in a March 26 statement to E! News. "There is no excuse for the excessive show of force and hostility exhibited by authorities or the way his children and employees were treated."
Dyer noted Combs “was never detained but spoke to and cooperated with authorities.”
“Despite media speculation, neither Mr. Combs nor any of his family members have been arrested nor has their ability to travel been restricted in any way,” his lawyer's statement continued. “This unprecedented ambush—paired with an advanced, coordinated media presence—leads to a premature rush to judgment of Mr. Combs and is nothing more than a witch hunt based on meritless accusations made in civil lawsuits.”
And Dyer expressed Combs' intent to defend himself.
“There has been no finding of criminal or civil liability with any of these allegations,” he added. “Mr. Combs is innocent and will continue to fight every single day to clear his name.”
As for what actually went down during the searches, multiple law enforcement sources familiar with the warrant told NBC News authorities with the Department of Homeland Security seized phones from Combs’ home in Miami before he was scheduled to travel to the Bahamas, and several sources familiar with the matter added that guns were discovered during the search.
One source familiar with the matter also told NBC News three women and one man were interviewed by prosecutors and investigators from the Southern District of New York about allegations of sex trafficking, sexual assault, the solicitation and distribution of illegal narcotics and firearms purportedly tied to Combs.
On the same day the search warrants were executed at Combs’ Miami and Los Angeles properties, one of his associates, Brendan Paul, was arrested by the Miami-Dade police on suspicion of drug possession, a law enforcement source familiar with the matter told NBC News.
According to the Miami-Dade arrest affidavit obtained by the outlet, Paul was taken into custody for allegedly possessing suspected cocaine and suspected marijuana candy.
Prison records obtained by NBC News show Paul was released on March 26 after posting bond.
“We do not plan on trying this case in the media,” Paul’s attorney Brian Bieber said in a statement obtained by the outlet, “all issues will be dealt with in court.”
In May, Paul accepted a plea deal, with his lawyer Bieber telling People, "Brendan accepted the prosecutor’s offer to permit his entry into the diversion program which, after completion, the case against him will be dismissed in its entirety."
He was arrested in the lobby of a New York hotel on Sept. 16, 2024, according to NBC News. It's unclear what Combs has been charged with and if the arrest has any potential connection to the raids.
“We are disappointed with the decision to pursue what we believe is an unjust prosecution of Mr. Combs by the U.S. Attorney’s Office," his lawyer Marc Agnifilo said in a statement to E! News. "He is an imperfect person but Is not criminal. To his credit Mr. Combs has been nothing but cooperative with this investigation and he voluntarily relocated to New York last week in anticipation of these charges."
After Combs was arrested based on the sealed indictment, the indictment was unsealed on Sept. 17.
The 54-year-old was charged with racketeering conspiracy; sex trafficking by force, fraud or coercion; as well as transportation to engage in prostitution, according to court documents obtained by NBC News.
The indictment alleged Combs “abused, threatened, and coerced women and others around him to fulfill his sexual desires, protect his reputation, and conceal his conduct” for more than a decade, with prosecutors saying the purported behavior started around 2008.
"To do so," the documents stated, "Combs relied on the employees, resources, and influence of the multi-faceted business empire that he led and controlled—creating a criminal enterprise whose members and associates engaged in, and attempted to engage in, among other crimes, sex trafficking, forced labor, kidnapping, arson, bribery, and obstruction of justice."
According to NBC News, Combs pleaded not guilty and was denied bail.
“He’s going to fight this with all of his energy and all of his might,” his attorney Marc Agnifilo told reporters outside the courthouse prior to the arraignment, “and the full confidence of his lawyers."
veryGood! (891)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Brock Purdy’s 4 interceptions doom the 49ers in 33-19 loss to the Ravens
- Inside Ukraine’s covert Center 73, where clandestine missions shape the war behind the frontline
- Jaguars' Trevor Lawrence injured his shoulder against Buccaneers. Here's what we know.
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Student loan payments restarted after a COVID pause. Why the economy is barely feeling it.
- Ukraine celebrates Christmas on Dec. 25 for the first time, distancing itself from Russia
- When and where to see the Cold Moon, the longest and last full moon of 2023
- 'Most Whopper
- Towns reinforce dikes as heavy rains send rivers over their banks in Germany and the Netherlands
Ranking
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Bridgerton's New Look at Season 3 Is the Object of All Your Desires
- NFL on Christmas: One of the greatest playoff games in league history was played on Dec. 25
- 25 Secrets About The Santa Clause You'll Enjoy—Even If You're Lactose Intolerant
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Fact-checking 'Ferrari' movie: What's accurate, what isn't in Adam Driver's racing film
- Investment, tax tips for keeping, growing your money in 2024
- Israeli man whose parents were killed on Oct. 7 calls for peace: We must break this pattern of violence
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Fantasy football winners, losers: Panthers' DJ Chark resurfaces to attack Packers
‘Major’ Problem in Texas: How Big Polluters Evade Federal Law and Get Away With It
Russian naval ship in Crimea damaged in airstrike by Ukrainian forces, Russian Defense Ministry says
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
Amazon, Starbucks worker unions are in limbo, even as UAW and others triumph
A landslide in eastern Congo’s South Kivu province killed at least 4 people and some 20 are missing
Southwest Airlines cancels hundreds of flights, disrupting some holiday travelers