Current:Home > FinanceBurley Garcia|William Calley, who led the My Lai massacre that shamed US military in Vietnam, has died -Capitatum
Burley Garcia|William Calley, who led the My Lai massacre that shamed US military in Vietnam, has died
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 00:05:12
GAINESVILLE,Burley Garcia Fla. (AP) — William L. Calley Jr., who as an Army lieutenant led the U.S. soldiers who killed hundreds of Vietnamese civilians in the My Lai massacre, the most notorious war crime in modern American military history, has died. He was 80.
Calley died on April 28 at a hospice center in Gainesville, Florida, The Washington Post reported Monday, citing his death certificate. The Florida Department of Health in Alachua County didn’t immediately respond to Associated Press requests for confirmation.
Calley had lived in obscurity in the decades since he was court-martialed and convicted in 1971, the only one of 25 men originally charged to be found guilty in the Vietnam War massacre.
On March 16, 1968, Calley led American soldiers of the Charlie Company on a mission to confront a crack outfit of their Vietcong enemies. Instead, over several hours, the soldiers killed 504 unresisting civilians, mostly women, children and elderly men, in My Lai and a neighboring community.
The men were angry: Two days earlier, a booby trap had killed a sergeant, blinded a GI and wounded several others while Charlie Company was on patrol.
Soldiers eventually testified to the U.S. Army investigating commission that the murders began soon after Calley led Charlie Company’s first platoon into My Lai that morning. Some were bayoneted to death. Families were herded into bomb shelters and killed with hand grenades. Other civilians slaughtered in a drainage ditch. Women and girls were gang-raped.
It wasn’t until more than a year later that news of the massacre became public. And while the My Lai massacre was the most notorious massacre in modern U.S. military history, it was not an aberration: Estimates of civilians killed during the U.S. ground war in Vietnam from 1965 to 1973 range from 1 million to 2 million.
The U.S. military’s own records, filed away for three decades, described 300 other cases of what could fairly be described as war crimes. My Lai stood out because of the shocking one-day death toll, stomach-churning photographs and the gruesome details exposed by a high-level U.S. Army inquiry.
Calley was convicted in 1971 for the murders of 22 people during the rampage. He was sentenced to life in prison but served only three days because President Richard Nixon ordered his sentence reduced. He served three years of house arrest.
After his release, Calley stayed in Columbus and settled into a job at a jewelry store owned by his father-in-law before moving to Atlanta, where he avoided publicity and routinely turned down journalists’ requests for interviews.
Calley broke his silence in 2009, at the urging of a friend, when he spoke to the Kiwanis Club in Columbus, Georgia, near Fort Benning, where he had been court-martialed.
“There is not a day that goes by that I do not feel remorse for what happened that day in My Lai,” Calley said, according to an account of the meeting reported by the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer. “I feel remorse for the Vietnamese who were killed, for their families, for the American soldiers involved and their families. I am very sorry.”
He said his mistake was following orders, which had been his defense when he was tried. His superior officer was acquitted.
William George Eckhardt, the chief prosecutor in the My Lai cases, said he was unaware of Calley ever apologizing before that appearance in 2009.
“It’s hard to apologize for murdering so many people,” said Eckhardt. “But at least there’s an acknowledgment of responsibility.”
veryGood! (36169)
Related
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Wes Moore Names Two Members to Maryland Public Service Commission
- Puerto Rico Hands Control of its Power Plants to a Natural Gas Company
- The EPA Is Helping School Districts Purchase Clean-Energy School Buses, But Some Districts Have Been Blocked From Participating
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Environmentalists Praise the EPA’s Move to Restrict ‘Forever Chemicals’ in Water and Wonder, What’s Next?
- Four Big Things to Expect in Clean Energy in 2023
- The ‘Power of Aridity’ is Bringing a Colorado River Dam to its Knees
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Las Vegas could break heat record as millions across the U.S. endure scorching temps
Ranking
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Amid Drought, Wealthy Homeowners in New Mexico are Getting a Tax Break to Water Their Lawns
- Why can't Canada just put the fires out? Here are 5 answers to key questions
- 'Hi, Doc!' DM'ing the doctor could cost you (or your insurance plan)
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Here's what happens to the body in extreme temperatures — and how heat becomes deadly
- In a Famed Game Park Near the Foot of Mount Kilimanjaro, the Animals Are Giving Up
- Expedition Retraces a Legendary Explorer’s Travels Through the Once-Pristine Everglades
Recommendation
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Netflix shows steady growth amid writers and actors strikes
South Korea's death toll from rainstorms grows as workers search for survivors
Environmental Groups and Native Leaders Say Proposed Venting and Flaring Rule Falls Short
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Keep Cool With the 9 Best Air Conditioner Deals From Amazon Prime Day 2023
Holiday Traditions in the Forest Revive Spiritual Relationships with Nature, and Heal Planetary Wounds
Amazon Prime Day 2023: Get a Portable Garment Steamer With 65,000+ 5-Star Amazon Reviews for Just $28