Current:Home > MyTrial set to begin for 2 accused of killing Run-DMC’s Jam Master Jay over 20 years ago -Capitatum
Trial set to begin for 2 accused of killing Run-DMC’s Jam Master Jay over 20 years ago
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:59:40
NEW YORK (AP) — Two men accused of murder in the death of Run-DMC star Jam Master Jay are set to go on trial Monday, more than 20 years after the trailblazing DJ was shot in his New York City recording studio.
Opening statements are scheduled in Brooklyn federal court for the murder trial of Karl Jordan Jr. and Ronald Washington, who prosecutors say killed the 37-year-old Jay over a drug deal in 2002. Both men have pleaded not guilty.
Jay, whose birth name was Jason Mizell, worked the turntables alongside rappers Joe “Run” Simmons and Darryl “DMC” McDaniels as the group helped bring hip-hop into the mainstream in the 1980s with hits like “It’s Tricky” and a remake of Aerosmith’s “Walk This Way.”
His slaying rocked the hip-hop world and led the group to disband, but the case went unsolved until the two men from his Queens neighborhood were arrested in 2020. A third man was charged in the shooting last year and will be tried separately.
Run-DMC espoused an anti-drug stance in lyrics and PSAs, but prosecutors allege Jay became involved in trafficking cocaine in the mid 1990s. Prior to his murder, they say he had acquired 10 kilograms (22 pounds) of the drug, which Washington, Jordan and others were going to distribute in Maryland.
Washington, however, got into a dispute with another person involved in the scheme and Jay cut him out of the deal. He and Jordan then showed up armed at the DJ’s 24/7 recording studio in Jamaica, Queens, on the evening of Oct. 30, 2002, prosecutors allege.
Inside, Washington is accused of waving a gun and ordering one person to lie on the floor, while Jordan allegedly shot Jay in the head.
Despite several others being present in the studio at the time of the killing and more than $60,000 in rewards offered for information in the aftermath, witnesses remained tight-lipped and the case went cold for many years, frustrating police and Jay’s family.
Prosecutors say witnesses have now identified both Washington, 59, and Jordan, 40, as the assailants. They also claim Washington has made statements corroborating his involvement to law enforcement and others.
Washington was first named as a possible suspect in the slaying in 2007, while he was on trial for a string of armed robberies, though he maintained he had no involvement. In a Playboy article published several years earlier, he was quoted as saying he was on his way to the studio the night of the murder when he heard gunshots and saw Jordan fleeing.
Lawyers for Jordan said in court documents that his father was a “lifelong friend” of Jay’s and that their families had been neighbors. They say Jordan, then 18, was at his pregnant girlfriend’s home at the time of the murder and witnesses can place him there.
Jordan also faces gun and cocaine charges in the trial to which he has pleaded not guilty. While he has no prior adult criminal record, prosecutors allege he has continued to be involved in narcotics trafficking and say they have footage of him selling cocaine to an undercover agent.
The men face at least 20 years in prison if convicted. The government has said it would not seek the death penalty.
veryGood! (2732)
Related
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Listen to Beyoncé's two new songs, '16 Carriages' and 'Texas Hold 'Em'
- If a Sports Bra and a Tank Top Had a Baby It Would Be This Ultra-Stretchy Cami- Get 3 for $29
- Suspect captured in Memphis crime rampage that left at least 1 dead, several wounded
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Marathon World-Record Holder Kelvin Kiptum Dead at 24 After Car Crash
- Marathon world record-holder Kelvin Kiptum, who was set to be a superstar, has died in a car crash
- Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin in critical care after being hospitalized with emergent bladder issue, Pentagon says
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Usher reflecting on history of segregation in Las Vegas was best Super Bowl pregame story
Ranking
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Kelvin Kiptum, 24-year-old marathon world-record holder, dies in car crash
- Good Samaritan rushes to help victims of Naples, Florida plane crash: 'Are they alive?'
- Pakistan election results show jailed former PM Imran Khan's backers heading for an election upset
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Who has the most Super Bowl wins? The teams and players with the most rings in NFL history
- 'Next level tantruming:' Some 49ers fans react to Super Bowl loss by destroying TVs
- Storming of Ecuador TV station by armed men has ominous connection: Mexican drug cartels
Recommendation
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
White House to require assurances from countries receiving weapons that they're abiding by U.S. law
Where is the next Super Bowl? New Orleans set to host Super Bowl 59 in 2025
Trump faces Monday deadline to ask the Supreme Court for a delay in his election interference trial
Average rate on 30
The San Francisco 49ers lost Super Bowl 58. What happens to the championship shirts, hats?
Super Bowl security uses smart Taylor Swift strategy to get giddy pop star from suite to field
Where To Buy the Best Wedding Guest Dresses for Every Dress Code