Current:Home > ContactAudit finds Vermont failed to complete steps to reduce risk from natural disasters such as flooding -Capitatum
Audit finds Vermont failed to complete steps to reduce risk from natural disasters such as flooding
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 01:23:59
Vermont has failed to complete many actions in its five-year hazard mitigation plan aimed at reducing the risk from natural disasters such as flooding, according to a new report from the state auditor’s office.
The plan is developed by Vermont Emergency Management every five years to identify natural hazards facing the state, create steps to reduce risk and serve as a resource for state agencies and others to carry out those actions, the report released on Tuesday states. But just a third of the 96 actions, and half of the priority actions in the 2018 plan, had been completed by last year, according to the audit.
“The growing frequency and power of extreme weather events makes it clear -– Vermont needs to do more to proactively ready our communities to reduce the danger to Vermonters’ lives and property,” state auditor Doug Hoffer said in a statement.
Eric Forand, director of Vermont Emergency Management, said Friday that the hazard mitigation plan is more of an aspirational plan for goals for the future than the state emergency management plan, which has specific steps to take during an emergency response.
“Given that structure, you’re not necessarily going to meet them all in that timeframe that you’d expect. There’s things that come up: COVID, real floods, certain priorities change, certain resources aren’t there, you have to manage, and adapt and overcome,” he said.
Vermont had 21 federally declared disasters between 2011 and 2023, including floods, winter storms and the COVID-19 pandemic, according to the report. Heavy rains c aused violent flooding in parts of Vermont twice this summer, damaging and destroying homes and washing away roads and bridges. The first flooding came on the one-year anniversary of the catastrophic flooding t hat inundated parts of the state last year.
States create the plans to qualify for certain federal disaster funding and hazard mitigation grants, the report states. Because many of the actions in the Vermont 2018 plan have not been completed, it is unclear how effective the plan has been in reducing the state’s risk from natural disasters, states the report, which makes recommendations for how to address the shortcomings.
Staff turnover and the COVID-19 pandemic were noted by the state as some of the reasons for the incomplete actions.
Vermont missed opportunities to reduce risk including when a priority action to develop sample building standards for resilient design and construction wasn’t completed, the report states.
“If this action had been completed, it could have served as a resource for communities affected by recent floods to rebuild in ways that would help them better withstand future floods,” the report states. Another uncompleted step that led to missed opportunity was the development of an inventory of critical headwater and floodplain storage areas that would help to reduce flooding, the report states. That goal is in progress and is now part of the 2023 plan, the report states.
In Montpelier and Barre, two communities hit hard by flooding, some state lawmakers said Friday that they are “gravely concerned over the lack of progress.”
“The findings in this report are shocking and deeply troubling,” state Rep. Conor Casey, a Democrat from Montpelier, said in a statement. “We’ve experienced devastating floods in 2023 and 2024, and the fact that so many critical actions to improve our flood resilience were left unfinished is unacceptable. Vermont can no longer afford to be unprepared.”
They are urging the governor, if reelected, to prioritize disaster mitigation in the next state budget and state leaders to make sure there is better oversight and communication among the agencies responsible for disaster preparedness and mitigation.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- JD Vance quips that Donald Trump will 'stop' rumored Skyline Chili ice cream flavor
- Preparing for the Launch of the AI Genius Trading Bot: Mark Jenkins' Strategic Planning
- Tom Brady’s purchase of a minority stake in the Las Vegas Raiders is approved by NFL team owners
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Why Diddy is facing 'apocalyptic' legal challenges amid 6 new sexual assault civil suits
- Montana Republican Gov. Greg Gianforte to debate Democratic rival
- Ex-Louisville officer who fired shots in Breonna Taylor raid readies for 3rd trial
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- See Cher, Olivia Culpo and More Stars Attending the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2024
Ranking
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Opinion: No. 1 Texas football here to devour Georgia, even if Kirby Smart anointed king
- These 5 Pennsylvania congressional races could determine House control
- Wreckage found, but still no sign of crew after Navy fighter jet crash in Washington state
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- RFK Jr. suggests he’ll have a significant role on agriculture and health policy if Trump is elected
- Isan Elba Shares Dad Idris Elba's Best Advice for Hollywood
- Michael Kors Secretly Put Designer Bags, Puffers, Fall Boots & More Luxury Finds on Sale up to 50% Off
Recommendation
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
Tennessee Titans expected to release veteran Jamal Adams, per report
Michael Kors Secretly Put Designer Bags, Puffers, Fall Boots & More Luxury Finds on Sale up to 50% Off
Michelle Obama will headline an Atlanta rally aimed at boosting voter turnout
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
DeSantis praises Milton recovery efforts as rising flood waters persist in Florida
Score Big With Extra 50% Off Madewell Sale Dresses: Grab $25 Styles While They Last!
Abortion isn’t on the ballot in California, but state candidates can’t stop talking about it