Current:Home > reviewsTrial testimony reveals gambling giant Bally’s paid $60 million to take over Trump’s NYC golf course -Capitatum
Trial testimony reveals gambling giant Bally’s paid $60 million to take over Trump’s NYC golf course
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 11:49:01
NEW YORK (AP) — Gaming giant Bally’s paid $60 million to buy the right to operate a public golf course in New York City from Donald Trump’s company, the former president’s namesake son testified Thursday.
The terms of the lease transfer on the former Trump Golf Links Ferry Point hadn’t been disclosed when the deal became public earlier this year. But the price emerged as Donald Trump Jr. was questioned on the witness stand Thursday at the civil fraud trial that’s delving into the ex-president’s finances and the family business’ dealings.
Trump Jr. said the sales price was $60 million, but the Trump Organization had incurred “a lot of costs” over the years, so he wasn’t sure of the net profit.
The Trump Organization managed the 18-hole course, which is visible from the Whitestone Bridge and boasts views of the Manhattan skyline, from 2015 until this year. It’s now called Bally’s Golf Links at Ferry Point.
A phone message left with a Bally’s media relations representative wasn’t immediately returned.
The lease sale came after the city strove to strip the course of its association with the former president after the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.
Following the insurrection, then-Mayor Bill de Blasio said he would scrap the contract with the Trump Organization, claiming that Trump had incited the rioters and thus given the city legal authority to do so.
A state judge rejected that argument last year. The ruling would have allowed the Trump Organization to operate the course through the expiration of its lease in 2035.
The Bally’s deal was approved by both the city comptroller and the city’s parks department.
Trump Jr. was on the stand Thursday for a second day in the trial of New York Attorney General Letitia James’ fraud lawsuit. She has accused the former president, his company and some executives of inflating his net worth on financial statements that went to banks and insurers to secure loans and make deals.
The former president and other defendants, including his elder sons, Executive Vice Presidents Donald Jr. and Eric, deny wrongdoing.
The former president and current Republican 2024 front-runner is due to testify Monday. He reiterated on his Truth Social media site Thursday that he sees the trial as “RIGGED,” a “Miscarriage of Justice,” and “Election Interference.” James and Judge Arthur Engoron are Democrats.
“The Trump Organization is Financially Strong, Powerful, Very Liquid, AND HAS DONE NOTHING WRONG,” Trump wrote.
veryGood! (3941)
Related
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Taylor Swift and Ice Spice's Karma Remix Is Here and It's Sweet Like Honey
- Florida families face confusion after gender-affirming care ban temporarily blocked
- ‘Extreme’ Iceberg Seasons Threaten Oil Rigs and Shipping as the Arctic Warms
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- How many miles do you have to travel to get abortion care? One professor maps it
- Premature Birth Rates Drop in California After Coal and Oil Plants Shut Down
- What to Make of Some Young Evangelicals Abandoning Trump Over Climate Change?
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Video: A Climate Change ‘Hackathon’ Takes Aim at New York’s Buildings
Ranking
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- What to Make of Some Young Evangelicals Abandoning Trump Over Climate Change?
- A smarter way to use sunscreen
- Financial Industry Faces Daunting Transformation for Climate Deal to Succeed
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- ‘Extreme’ Iceberg Seasons Threaten Oil Rigs and Shipping as the Arctic Warms
- Gas stoves pollute homes with benzene, which is linked to cancer
- The NCAA looks to weed out marijuana from its banned drug list
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Shift to Clean Energy Could Save Millions Who Die From Pollution
Gun deaths hit their highest level ever in 2021, with 1 person dead every 11 minutes
In Corporate March to Clean Energy, Utilities Not Required
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
Canada Sets Methane Reduction Targets for Oil and Gas, but Alberta Has Its Own Plans
Energy Department Suspends Funding for Texas Carbon Capture Project, Igniting Debate
How Pruitt’s New ‘Secret Science’ Policy Could Further Undermine Air Pollution Rules