Current:Home > ScamsTrump heard in audio clip describing "highly confidential, secret" documents -Capitatum
Trump heard in audio clip describing "highly confidential, secret" documents
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 09:33:47
Former President Donald Trump can be heard in an audio recording apparently showing and discussing — "off the record," he says — what he describes as "highly confidential, secret" documents with a writer and aides in 2021.
"It is like highly confidential, secret. This is secret information. Look, look at this. You attack and…" Trump can be heard saying, before another person interrupts. The audio was first obtained by CNN, and has also been obtained by CBS News.
The July 2021 recording of a meeting at Trump's golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey, was cited by special counsel Jack Smith in the indictment of Trump and an aide, Walt Nauta, on a combined 37 counts related to alleged mishandling of classified documents. Trump entered a not guilty plea to the charges on June 14, and Nauta is expected to plead not guilty at a hearing on Tuesday.
It is not clear from the indictment if the documents referred to in the recording were recovered by investigators.
In the audio, Trump can be heard saying "these are the papers" and describing them as a plan of attack related to Iran. The clip is roughly two minutes of a conversation that sources told CBS News was approximately two hours long. CBS News and other news outlets had previously reported what Trump is heard saying on the tape. The audio appears to confirm the accuracy of those reports.
The sounds of shuffling papers can also be heard as he talks about the documents.
"See, as president I could have declassified, but now I can't, you know," Trump can be heard saying. "Isn't that interesting? It's so cool."
When the existence of the tape first emerged in May, the special counsel declined to comment.
In the recording, Trump is speaking with aides to former Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, who was preparing a memoir.
The indictment identifies the group as "a writer, a publisher, and two members of" Trump's staff, "none of whom possessed a security clearance." The indictment alleges Trump describes a "plan of attack" that Trump said was prepared for him by the Department of Defense and a senior military official.
After the audio was published by news outlets, Trump said in a social media post that Smith "working in conjunction with the DOJ & FBI, illegally leaked and 'spun' a tape and transcript of me which is actually an exoneration, rather than what they would have you believe."
Trump claimed in a June 19 Fox News interview that there were no classified documents present when the recording was made.
"There was no document. That was a massive amount of papers and everything else talking about Iran and other things," Trump said. "And it may have been held up or may not, but that was not a document. I didn't have a document, per se. There was nothing to declassify. These were newspaper stories, magazine stories and articles."
On Tuesday, Fox News asked Trump to square that statement with the publishing of the recording. Trump insisted he "did nothing wrong."
"My voice was fine," Trump told Fox News. "What did I say wrong in those recordings? I didn't even see the recording. All I know is I did nothing wrong. We had a lot of papers, a lot of papers stacked up. In fact, you could hear the rustle of the paper. And nobody said I did anything wrong."
Trial in the case is scheduled for Aug. 14, but on June 23, the special counsel requested that date be pushed back to Dec. 11. The special counsel said that Trump's attorneys have not yet gotten security clearances needed to view much of the evidence in the case.
A judge has not ruled on that motion.
- In:
- Donald Trump
Graham Kates is an investigative reporter covering criminal justice, privacy issues and information security for CBS News Digital. Contact Graham at [email protected] or [email protected]
veryGood! (12598)
Related
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- 2 people caught on camera committing alleged archaeological theft at historic 1800s cowboy camp at Utah national park
- Alaska lawmakers end their session with late bills passing on energy, education
- South Korean court rejects effort to block plan that would boost medical school admissions
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Philadelphia still the 6th-biggest U.S. city, but San Antonio catching up, census data shows
- Shia LaBeouf Returns to Red Carpet for First Time in 4 Years
- WNBA says all teams will charter by Tuesday, but rollout has been clunky
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Repeal of a dead law to use public funds for private school tuition won’t be on Nebraska’s ballot
Ranking
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Social media slams Harrison Butker for 'sexist' commencement speech: 'You kick a silly little ball'
- Blinken’s Kyiv song choice raises eyebrows as Ukraine fights fierce Russian attacks
- Murder trial set for September for Minnesota trooper who shot motorist during freeway stop
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Sen. Bob Menendez reveals his wife has breast cancer as presentation of evidence begins at his trial
- Lawyer for family of slain US Air Force airman says video and calls show deputy went to wrong home
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Secret Agents
Recommendation
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
UN resolution to commemorate the Srebrenica genocide in Bosnia sparks opposition from Serbs
Long-term mortgage rates retreat for second straight week, US average at 7.02%
Texas judge orders new election after GOP lawsuit challenged 2022 election result in Houston area
Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
China and Cambodia begin 15-day military exercises as questions grow about Beijing’s influence
Summer House's Jesse Solomon Shares Abnormal Results of Testicular Cancer Scan
South Korean court rejects effort to block plan that would boost medical school admissions