Current:Home > MarketsNew York considers regulating what children see in social media feeds -Capitatum
New York considers regulating what children see in social media feeds
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 09:21:10
New York lawmakers on Tuesday said they were finalizing legislation that would allow parents to block their children from getting social media posts curated by a platform’s algorithm, a move to rein in feeds that critics argue keep young users glued to their screens.
Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul and Attorney General Letitia James have been advocating for the regulations since October, facing strong pushback from the tech industry. The amended version removes provisions that would have limited the hours a child could spend on a site. With the legislative session ending this week, Albany lawmakers are making a final push to get it passed.
“The algorithmic feeds are designed as dopamine for kids,” Assembly sponsor Nily Rozic, a Democrat, said Tuesday. “We are trying to regulate that design feature.”
The legislation in New York follows actions taken by other U.S. states to curb social media use among children. Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed legislation banning social media accounts for children under 14 and requiring parental permission for 14- and 15-year-olds. Utah in March revised its policies, requiring social media companies to verify the ages of their users, but removing a requirement that parents consent to their child creating an account. A state law in Arkansas that also would have required parental consent was put on hold last year by a federal judge.
Supporters say New York’s Stop Addictive Feeds Exploitation (SAFE) For Kids Act, which would prohibit algorithm-fed content without “verifiable parental consent,” is aimed at protecting the mental health and development of young people by shielding them from features designed to keep them endlessly scrolling.
Instead of having automated algorithms suggest content classified as addictive and based on what a user has clicked on in the past, young account holders would see a chronological feed of content from users they already follow.
Rozic said the New York bill doesn’t attempt to regulate the content available on social media, only “the vehicle that supercharges the feed and makes it more addictive.”
Critics of the bill, including the Surveillance Technology Oversight Project, warn it could make things worse for children, including leading to internet companies collecting more information about users.
“Lawmakers are legislating a fairy tale,” the privacy advocacy group’s executive director, Albert Fox Cahn, said in a statement. “There simply is no technology that can prove New Yorkers’ ages without undermining their privacy.”
The tech industry trade group NetChoice, whose members include Meta and X, accused New York of “trying to replace parents with government.”
“Additionally, this bill is unconstitutional because it violates the First Amendment by requiring websites to censor the ability of New Yorkers to read articles or make statements online, by blocking default access to websites without providing proof of ID and age, and by denying the editorial rights of webpages to display, organize, and promote content how they want,” Carl Szabo, NetChoice’s vice president and general counsel, said in an emailed statement.
The legislation also would prohibit sites from sending notifications to minors between midnight and 6 a.m. without parental consent.
Companies could be fined $5,000 per violation.
If passed by the Assembly and Senate, Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul is expected to sign the bill and another regulating data collection into law after calling the legislation one of her top priorities.
“We stopped marketing tobacco to kids. We raised the drinking age. And today, we’re fighting to protect kids from the defining problem of our time,” Hochul wrote in an op-ed in the New York Post last week.
_____
Thompson reported from Buffalo, New York. Associated Press writer Anthony Izaguirre contributed from Albany, New York.
veryGood! (56782)
Related
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Former congressman tapped as Democratic candidate in special election to replace George Santos
- Mother of Florida boy accused of football practice shooting now charged with felony
- Illinois woman gets 55 years after pleading guilty but mentally ill in deaths of boyfriend’s parents
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Mystery of a tomato missing in space for months has been solved, and a man exonerated
- Kentucky’s revenues from sports wagering on pace to significantly exceed projections, governor says
- New England Patriots vs. Pittsburgh Steelers over/under reaches low not seen since 2005
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- 5 tech mistakes that can leave you vulnerable to hackers
Ranking
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Miami-Dade police officer charged with 3 felonies, third arrest from force in 6 weeks
- The UNLV shooting victims have been identified. Here's what we know.
- Emma Stone comes alive in the imaginative 'Poor Things'
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Elijah Wood, other actors unwittingly caught up in Russia propaganda effort
- Deputy U.S. Marshal charged with entering plane drunk after misconduct report on flight to London
- 20+ Gifts For Dad That Will Never Make Him Say I Don't Need Anything Ever Again
Recommendation
Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
Mystery of a tomato missing in space for months has been solved, and a man exonerated
High-profile attacks on Derek Chauvin and Larry Nassar put spotlight on violence in federal prisons
George Brett's competitiveness, iconic moments highlight new MLB Network documentary
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
Jayden Daniels, the dazzling quarterback for LSU, is the AP college football player of the year
Maternal mortality rate is much higher for Black women than white women in Mississippi, study says
A rocket attack targets the US embassy in Baghdad, causing minor damage but no casualties