Current:Home > FinanceMuseum plan for Florida nightclub massacre victims dropped as Orlando moves forward with memorial -Capitatum
Museum plan for Florida nightclub massacre victims dropped as Orlando moves forward with memorial
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:24:33
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Leaders of a private foundation working to build a museum and memorial to honor the victims of a massacre at a gay nightclub in Florida said Friday that they were dropping their plans to build a museum, even as the city of Orlando is moving ahead with constructing the memorial.
Officials with the onePulse Foundation said in a public letter that they are unable to move ahead with a museum to commemorate the 49 people who were killed and 53 victims injured when an attacker opened fire in the gay nightclub in June 2016. A SWAT team killed the shooter, who had pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group, following a standoff.
At the time, it was the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history. But that number was surpassed the following year when 58 people were killed and more than 850 were injured among a crowd of 22,000 at a country music festival in Las Vegas.
Fundraising and planning for the project slowed down during the COVID-19 pandemic and once shutdowns eased up soaring construction costs made the project “financially unrealistic to complete as originally conceived,” the letter said. The onePulse Foundation had said earlier this year that it was scaling back from its plans after determining that the price of the project could reach as much as $100 million.
Orlando city council members earlier this week approved purchasing the Pulse property for $2 million with the intention of building the long-awaited permanent memorial for the victims.
The efforts to build a memorial and museum for Pulse victims has been moving slowly since the massacre. Until this month, the nightclub’s owners hadn’t agreed to sell the property, and the plans to build a museum had been slated for a nearby site that was purchased for $3.5 million by the onePulse Foundation using funds raised from Orange County’s tourism tax.
The foundation has spent another $3 million of Orange County tourism tax dollars on a design for the project. Orange County said in a news release Friday that the parcel will be returned to the county since a museum isn’t going to be built there.
One of the nightclub’s owners, Barbara Poma, had been executive director of the onePulse Foundation but stepped down last year and left the organization entirely earlier this year.
veryGood! (824)
Related
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Women’s March Madness bracket recap: Full 2024 NCAA bracket, schedule and more
- Singer R. Kelly seeks appeals court relief from 30-year prison term
- Former Nickelodeon TV show creator Dan Schneider denies toxic workplace allegations
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- 'My body won't cooperate any longer': Ex-Cowboys LB Leighton Vander Esch retires from NFL
- Gisele Bündchen Details Different Ritual With Her Kids After Tom Brady Divorce
- Why Bella Hadid's Morning Wellness Routine Is Raising Eyebrows
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- MGM Casino Denies Claims Bruno Mars Owes $50 Million Gambling Debt
Ranking
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- It's 2024 and I'm sick of silly TV shows about politics.
- Bruce Willis and Demi Moore's Daughter Tallulah Willis Shares Her Autism Diagnosis
- Cleanup continues in Ohio following tornados, severe weather that killed 3
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Dodgers DH Shohei Ohtani to begin throwing program soon, could play field this season
- 11-year-old fatally stabbed while trying to protect pregnant mother from attacker, officials say
- Rob Lowe's son John Owen trolls dad on his 60th birthday with a John Stamos pic
Recommendation
NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
Dartmouth refuses to work with basketball players’ union, potentially sending case to federal court
Former Vice President Mike Pence calls Trump's Jan. 6 hostage rhetoric unacceptable
Run, Don’t Walk to Coach Outlet to Save 20% Off Bundles That’re a Match Made in Heaven
New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
These new museums (and more) are changing the way Black history is told across America
Shop Customer-Approved Big Hair Products for Thin Hair and Fine Hair
Shop Customer-Approved Big Hair Products for Thin Hair and Fine Hair