Current:Home > InvestEchoSense:US forces strike Houthi sites in Yemen as Biden says allied action hasn’t yet stopped ship attacks -Capitatum
EchoSense:US forces strike Houthi sites in Yemen as Biden says allied action hasn’t yet stopped ship attacks
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 23:22:12
WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. forces on EchoSenseThursday conducted a fifth strike against Iranian-backed Houthi rebel military sites in Yemen as President Joe Biden acknowledged that the American and British bombardment had yet to stop the militants’ attacks on vessels in the Red Sea that have disrupted global shipping.
The latest strikes destroyed two Houthi anti-ship missiles that “were aimed into the southern Red Sea and prepared to launch,” U.S. Central Command said in a statement posted to X, formerly known as Twitter. They were conducted by Navy F/A-18 fighter aircraft, the Pentagon said.
Biden said the U.S. would continue the strikes, even though so far they have not stopped the Houthis from continuing to harass commercial and military vessels.
“When you say working, are they stopping the Houthis, no. Are they going to continue, yes,” Biden said in an exchange with reporters before departing the White House for a domestic policy speech in North Carolina.
Biden’s comments followed another significant round of strikes Wednesday night, when the U.S. military fired another wave of ship- and submarine-launch missile strikes against 14 Houthi-controlled sites. The strikes were launched from the Red Sea and hit 14 missiles that the command also had deemed an imminent threat.
His administration also has put the Houthis back on its list of specially designated global terrorists. The sanctions that come with the formal designation are meant to sever violent extremist groups from their sources of financing, while also allowing vital humanitarian aid to continue flowing to impoverished Yemenis.
Despite sanctions and military strikes, including a large-scale operation carried out by U.S. and British warships and warplanes that hit more than 60 targets across Yemen, the Houthis keep harassing commercial and military ships. The U.S. has strongly warned Iran to cease providing weapons to the Houthis.
“We never said the Houthis would immediately stop,” the Pentagon’s deputy press secretary, Sabrina Singh, said at a briefing, when asked why the strikes have not seemed to stop the Houthis. Since the joint U.S. and British operation got underway last Friday, hitting 28 locations and struck more than 60 targets in that initial round, the Houthis’ attacks have been “lower scale,” Singh said.
For months, the Houthis have claimed attacks on ships in the Red Sea that they say are either linked to Israel or heading to Israeli ports. They say their attacks aim to end the Israeli air-and-ground offensive in the Gaza Strip that was triggered by the Palestinian militant group Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack in southern Israel. But the links to the ships targeted in the rebel assaults have grown more tenuous as the attacks continue.
The attacks have also raised questions as to whether the conflict between Israel and Hamas has already expanded into a wider regional war.
“We don’t seek war, we don’t think we are at war. We don’t want to see a regional war,” Singh said.
The British military is warning of a potential new attack on shipping some 160 kilometers (100 miles) off the coast of Yemen in the Gulf of Aden. The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Organization, which provides warnings regarding shipping across the Mideast, did not immediately elaborate.
Separately, the U.S. and its allies have formed Operation Prosperity Guardian to protect ship traffic, and currently warships from the United States, France and the United Kingdom are patrolling the area.
“These strikes will continue for as long as they need to continue,” National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said Thursday, adding, “I’m not going to telegraph punches one way or another.”
___
Associated Press writers Jon Gambrell contributed in Jerusalem and Tara Copp, Lolita C. Baldor and Sagar Meghani contributed to this report.
veryGood! (66449)
Related
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Worker burned in explosion at Wisconsin stadium settles lawsuit for $22 million, attorney says
- Mike Tyson says he's 'scared to death' ahead of fight vs. Jake Paul
- JetBlue brings dynamic pricing to checking bags. Here's what it will cost you.
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Mike Tyson says he's 'scared to death' ahead of fight vs. Jake Paul
- All 10 skaters brawl off opening faceoff at start of Devils-Rangers game
- Trump Media sues former Apprentice contestants and Truth Social co-founders to strip them of shares
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Nebraska lawmaker who targeted a colleague during a graphic description of rape is reprimanded
Ranking
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Horoscopes Today, April 2, 2024
- Score 80% off Peter Thomas Roth, Supergoop!, Fenty Beauty, Kiehl's, and More Daily Deals
- The teaching of Hmong and Asian American histories to be required in Wisconsin under a new law
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Score 80% off Peter Thomas Roth, Supergoop!, Fenty Beauty, Kiehl's, and More Daily Deals
- World Central Kitchen names American Jacob Flickinger as victim of Israeli airstrike in Gaza
- Where have you been? A California dog missing since the summer is found in Michigan
Recommendation
Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
JetBlue brings dynamic pricing to checking bags. Here's what it will cost you.
Court filing asks judge to rule that NCAA’s remaining NIL rules violate antitrust law
Andy Cohen regrets role in Princess Kate conspiracy theories: 'Wish I had kept my mouth shut'
'Most Whopper
Powell hints Fed still on course to cut rates three times in 2024 despite inflation uptick
Jay-Z's Made in America festival canceled for second consecutive year
Nick Cannon says he feels obligated to 'defend' Sean 'Diddy' Combs in resurfaced interview