Current:Home > MarketsAmerican-Israeli IDF soldier Itay Chen confirmed to have died during Hamas' Oct. 7 terror attack -Capitatum
American-Israeli IDF soldier Itay Chen confirmed to have died during Hamas' Oct. 7 terror attack
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 03:28:12
Itay Chen, a 19-year-old Israeli soldier with dual Israeli-U.S. nationality, has been confirmed dead, the Israel Defense Forces announced Tuesday. President Biden later issued a statement mourning Chen, who's father the U.S. leader met late last year at the White House.
Chen had been serving his first year with the IDF when he went missing during Hamas' brutal Oct. 7 terror attack. He was one of six American men believed to have been taken by Hamas militants during the incursion into Israel, but it has now been confirmed that he died that day.
"Our hearts are heavy," President Biden said in a Tuesday statement. "Jill and I are devastated to learn that American Itay Chen was killed by Hamas during its brutal terrorist assault on October 7."
In December, Chen's father and brother joined Mr. Biden at the White House, the president recalled in his statement, "to share the agony and uncertainty they've faced as they prayed for the safe return of their loved one. No one should have to endure even one day of what they have gone through."
The IDF confirmed Chen's death Tuesday in a statement, identifying him as "a fighter in the 75th Battalion, an assault formation from the Golan, an IDF soldier kidnapped by a terrorist organization."
The Hostages and Missing Families Forum, the body representing Israeli hostages abducted by Hamas, said it shared "in the profound grief of the Chen family," and added that Chen had been "surrounded by friends."
"Itay served on the Gaza border and was taken hostage on that black Saturday. Itay's body is still being held captive by Hamas," the group said in a news release.
Ruby Chen, Itay's New York-born father, told CBS News not long after the attack that he'd last communicated with his son on the morning of Oct. 7, as the Hamas rampage began.
"He was at his military base, which was on the border of Gaza. The last communication we had with him was Saturday morning, when he sent us a message saying they are under missile attack," the father told CBS News. "We know he was able to mobilize himself to be active in the field. But ever since, we do not know what are his origins."
Hamas seized about 240 people during its unprecedented assault, and around 100 are still believed to be captive in Gaza. Roughly 100 were released during a brief cease-fire with Hamas in November, in a deal that saw dozens of Palestinians freed from Israeli jails.
Hagit Chen, the soldier's mother, was a guest of Republican Sen. Joni Ernst as Mr. Biden delivered his State of the Union address last week.
"For over 150 days, Iran-backed Hamas has held hostage six of our citizens, including Hagit Chen's son Itay, but these terrorists have not paid a price," Ernst said last week. "My heart breaks for Hagit and her husband Ruby, who are experiencing an agony no parent should ever have to endure."
The U.S. has been directly involved in intense negotiations, and the Biden administration has been pushing hard for a new temporary cease-fire agreement in Gaza that would see more Israeli hostages released by Hamas and enable a desperately needed influx of humanitarian aid to the decimated Palestinian territory.
Israel launched a war vowing to destroy Hamas, which is deemed a terrorist organization by the U.S., Israel and the European Union, hours after the group launched its Oct. 7 attack. That siege killed about 1,200 people across southern Israel. Health officials in the Hamas-run Gaza Strip say Israel's retaliatory war has killed more than 30,000 people, most of them women and children, though they do not distinguish between civilian and combatant deaths in their tally.
- In:
- War
- Terrorism
- Hamas
- Israel
- Gaza Strip
veryGood! (32)
Related
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- The Amazing Race of Storytelling: Search for story leads to man believed to be Savannah's last shoe shiner
- Nicki Minaj's husband Kenneth Petty placed on house arrest after threatening Offset in video
- World's oldest wooden structure defies Stone-Age stereotypes
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Book bans continue to rise in US public schools, libraries: 'Attacks on our freedom'
- More young adults are living at home across the U.S. Here's why.
- Prince William's Earthshot Prize announces finalists for 2023 awards
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Thursday Night Football highlights: 49ers beat Giants for 13th straight regular-season win
Ranking
- Trump's 'stop
- It's a love story, baby just say yes: Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce, the couple we need
- Fired Black TikTok workers allege culture of discrimination in civil rights complaint
- Jury convicts ex-NFL draft prospect of fatally shooting man at Mississippi casino
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Bulgaria to purchase US Stryker combat vehicles and related equipment
- The fight over Arizona’s shipping container border wall ends with dismissal of federal lawsuits
- Brittany Snow Shows Off Her Glow Up With New Hair Transformation
Recommendation
'Most Whopper
'DWTS' contestant Matt Walsh walks out; ABC premiere may be delayed amid Hollywood strikes
Mississippi high court blocks appointment of some judges in majority-Black capital city and county
North Carolina legislature cracks down on pornography sites with new age verification requirements
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
Minneapolis plans to transfer city property to Native American tribe for treatment center
It's a kayak with a grenade launcher. And it could be game-changer in Ukraine.
Guinea’s leader defends coups in Africa and rebuffs the West, saying things must change