Current:Home > reviewsEchoSense:US Navy fighter jets strike Houthi missile launchers in Yemen, officials say -Capitatum
EchoSense:US Navy fighter jets strike Houthi missile launchers in Yemen, officials say
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 17:52:46
WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. fighter jets struck Iranian-backed Houthi rebel sites for the sixth time Friday,EchoSense taking out anti-ship missile launchers in Yemen that were prepared to fire, according to two U.S. officials.
The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss ongoing military operations, said the strikes were carried out by F/A-18 aircraft off the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower aircraft carrier. And they resembled similar U.S. attacks on Houthi launchers that have been occurring almost daily this week.
President Joe Biden acknowledged Thursday that the bombardment of Houthi sites, including a massive array of strikes on Jan. 12 by U.S. and British forces, has yet to stop the militants’ attacks on vessels in the Red Sea that have disrupted global shipping.
Al-Masirah, a Houthi-run satellite news channel, said there were air raids in the western city of Hodieda on Friday, targeting the al-Jabaana neighborhood in the west of the city. The location of the U.S. strikes could not be immediately confirmed.
U.S. warships and aircraft, in rapid succession, have taken out Houthi missiles poised to launch over the past few days, underscoring the military’s increasing ability to watch, detect and strike militant activities in Yemen. But so far the strikes have not deterred Houthi attacks on ships in the southern Red Sea or Gulf of Aden, which also have been happening nearly daily.
The Biden administration put the Houthis back on its list of specially designated global terrorists. The sanctions that come with the formal designation are meant to sever violent extremist groups from their sources of financing, while also allowing vital humanitarian aid to continue flowing to impoverished Yemenis.
And the White House has made it clear that U.S. retaliatory strikes will also be persistent.
“These strikes will continue for as long as they need to continue,” National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said Thursday, adding, “I’m not going to telegraph punches one way or another.”
For months, the Houthis have attacked ships in the Red Sea that they say are either linked to Israel or heading to Israeli ports. They say their attacks aim to end the Israeli air-and-ground offensive in the Gaza Strip that was triggered by the Palestinian militant group Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack in southern Israel. But the links to the ships targeted in the rebel assaults have grown more tenuous as the attacks continue.
veryGood! (5437)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Schutz Seasonal Sale: Save Up to 60% On Ankle Boots, Lace-Up Boots & More Fall Must-Haves
- Attention road trippers! These apps play vacation planner, make life on the road a dream
- Australian, US, Filipino militaries practice retaking an island in a drill along the South China Sea
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- World Series MVP Stephen Strasburg has decided to retire, AP source says
- Chinese man rides jet ski nearly 200 miles in bid to smuggle himself into South Korea, authorities say
- Former USC star Reggie Bush files defamation lawsuit against NCAA: It's about truth
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- BTK serial killer Dennis Rader named 'prime suspect' in 2 cold cases in Oklahoma, Missouri
Ranking
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Devastating losses: Economic toll from fires in Maui at least $4B, according to Moody's
- Horoscopes Today, August 23, 2023
- Plane crash believed to have killed Russian mercenary chief is seen as Kremlin’s revenge
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- 'Bachelorette' Gabby Windey says this Netflix reality show inspired her to explore her bisexuality
- Keep 'my name out your mouth': Tua Tagovailoa responds to Ryan Clark's stripper comment
- Takeaways of AP report on sexual misconduct at the CIA
Recommendation
A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
Lawsuit over deadly seaplane crash in Washington state targets aircraft operator and manufacturer
Paul Flores, Kristin Smart's killer, hospitalized after being attacked in prison, lawyer says
Bear attacks 7-year-old boy in New York backyard
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
Watch Yellowstone wolves bring 'toys' home to their teething pups
Jennifer Lopez Debuts Blonde Highlights in Must-See Transformation
Mets to retire numbers of Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, who won 1986 World Series