Current:Home > InvestEchoSense:Two groups appeal the selection of new offshore wind projects for New Jersey, citing cost -Capitatum
EchoSense:Two groups appeal the selection of new offshore wind projects for New Jersey, citing cost
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 09:57:12
ATLANTIC CITY,EchoSense N.J. (AP) — Two homeowners’ groups are challenging New Jersey’s preliminary approval of two new offshore wind power projects, saying they would be unlawfully costly to electricity customers.
Protect Our Coast New Jersey and Defend Brigantine Beach and Downbeach filed an appeal to the approval Tuesday in state court, saying that power contracts granted to the project developers violate state law.
The state Board of Public Utilities in January chose Attentive Energy LLC and Leading Light Wind LLC to build offshore wind projects.
But the contracts they were awarded violate New Jersey law that mandates that any increase in rates for offshore wind must be exceeded by economic and environmental benefits to the state, according to attorney Bruce Afran, who filed the appeal on behalf of the groups.
“If these awards are allowed to stand, residents throughout the state could pay up to $20 billion extra for power and see their already high bills increase by up to 20% or more,” said Keith Moore, government affairs director for Defend Brigantine Beach. “Besides the cost to residents, the rate impacts to commercial and industrial users will be severe, up to 25 and 30% respectively. Many businesses may have to close under that financial pressure.”
The BPU declined comment Friday.
In announcing the new projects in January, the board said they would add $6.84 a month to the average residential customer’s bill; $58.73 a month to the average commercial bill and $513.22 a month to the average industrial bill.
Edward O’Donnell of Whitestrand Consulting, who has prepared a report in support of the appeal, said the board has “deliberately and improperly chosen to use hypothetical benefits to future global populations from reduced carbon emissions at an extremely high value to justify the exorbitant prices for power from these projects.”
The groups also say the board failed to include over $5 billion in added costs for onshore transmission upgrades, which they said will push electric rates even higher.
At a press conference last week touting the projects, Democratic Gov. Phil Murphy said they will “guarantee that New Jerseyans have access to clean, affordable energy produced right here in our state.”
The action brings the state’s total of preliminarily approved offshore wind projects to three — the same level it was at before Danish wind developer Orsted scrapped its two wind farms proposed for the state’s southern coast in October. The projects join Atlantic Shores, a previously approved wind farm.
The board is preparing for a fourth round of project solicitations.
___
Follow Wayne Parry on X, formerly Twitter, at www.twitter.com/WayneParryAC
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- A COVID-era program is awash in fraud. Ending it could help Congress expand the child tax credit
- Donald Trump is on the hook for $88.3 million in defamation damages. What happens next?
- Ukraine says corrupt officials stole $40 million meant to buy arms for the war with Russia
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- What is UNRWA, the main aid provider in Gaza that Israel accuses of militant links?
- Is Amazon a threat to the movie industry? This Hollywood director thinks so.
- Native tribes don't want statue of William Penn removed. They want their story told.
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Environmental officials working to clean up fuel after fiery tanker truck crash in Ohio
Ranking
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Revelers in festive dress fill downtown Tampa, Florida, for the annual Gasparilla Pirate Fest
- The world’s largest cruise ship begins its maiden voyage from the Port of Miami
- Ukraine says corrupt officials stole $40 million meant to buy arms for the war with Russia
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Chiefs are in their 6th straight AFC championship game, and this is the 1st for the Ravens at home
- Michigan case offers an example of how public trust suffers when police officers lie
- Nearly 25,000 tech workers were laid off in the first weeks of 2024. Why is that?
Recommendation
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
Mali, Niger and Burkina Faso withdraw from West Africa’s regional bloc as tensions deepen
Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen talks inflation and Candy Crush
Soccer-mad Italy is now obsessed with tennis player Jannik Sinner after his Australian Open title
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
U.K. army chief says citizens should be ready to fight in possible land war
JoJo Siwa will replace Nigel Lythgoe as a judge on 'So You Think You Can Dance'
Taylor Swift deepfakes spread online, sparking outrage