Current:Home > MarketsDrew Barrymore pauses her talk show's premiere until strike ends: 'My deepest apologies' -Capitatum
Drew Barrymore pauses her talk show's premiere until strike ends: 'My deepest apologies'
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 12:34:35
Drew Barrymore has decided to pause the return of her talk show amid backlash.
"I have listened to everyone, and I am making the decision to pause the show’s premiere until the strike is over. I have no words to express my deepest apologies to anyone I have hurt and, of course, to our incredible team who works on the show and has made it what it is today," Barrymore wrote on Instagram Sunday.
She added: "We really tried to find our way forward. And I truly hope for a resolution for the entire industry very soon."
The show was slated to return on Monday.
"We support Drew’s decision to pause the show’s return and understand how complex and difficult this process has been for her," a CBS Media Ventures spokesperson said in a statement provided to USA TODAY.
Barrymore has faced backlash since announcing on Sept. 10 that her show was planning a return amid the ongoing writers strike.
The Writers Guild of America, the union representing most of the writers behind your favorite TV shows and films, went on strike at the beginning of May, fighting for improved compensation, benefits and other issues.
In a lengthy statement on Instagram last week, Barrymore said that she was "making the choice to come back for the first time in this strike for our show, that may have my name on it but this is bigger than just me."
"I own this choice. We are in compliance with not discussing or promoting film and television that is struck of any kind," she wrote.
Barrymore acknowledged that some people may feel conflicted because she stepped down as host of the MTV Movie & TV Awards in solidarity with writers.
"I was the host and it had a direct conflict with what the strike was dealing with which was studios, streamers, film and television. It was also in the first week of the strike and so I did what I thought was the appropriate thing at the time to stand in solidarity with the writers," the actress said.
The post announcing her return has since been deleted.
Barrymore also posted a lengthy, now-deleted video on Instagram Friday, telling fans, "I know there is just nothing I can do that will make this OK to those that it is not OK with. I fully accept that. I just want everyone to know my intentions have never been in a place to upset or hurt anymore. It’s not who I am."
"I wanted to own a decision so that it wasn't a PR, protected situation," she said in the teary-eyed video. "I've been through so many ups and downs in my life and this is one of them. I deeply apologize to (the writers). I deeply apologize to unions. I deeply apologize. I don't exactly know what to say because sometimes when things are so tough, it's hard to make decisions from that place."
The "Charlie's Angels" star elaborated on her decision to return. "Why am I doing this? Well, I certainly couldn't have expected this kind of attention, and we aren’t going to break rules, and we will be in compliance. ... There are other people's jobs on the line," she said.
Previous:Drew Barrymore's talk show to return amid strike; WGA plans to picket outside studio
"The Drew Barrymore Show" wrapped filming Season 3 in April for a summer hiatus. Upon returning to film Season 4, a CBS Media Ventures spokesperson told USA TODAY that the show would "not be performing any writing work covered by the WGA strike."
'The Talk,' 'The Jennifer Hudson Show' pause returns following Drew Barrymore backlash
As long as talk show hosts and guests don’t discuss or promote work covered by television, theatrical or streaming contracts, they’re not technically breaking the strike. That’s because talk shows are covered under a separate contract from the one actors and writers are striking. The contract also covers reality TV, sports, morning news shows, soap operas and game shows.
WGA members picketed outside Barrymore's studio on Monday and Tuesday. The talk show is taped at the CBS Broadcast Center in New York.
Barrymore faced backlash from members of the WGA and lost out on a hosting gig. The National Book Awards organization rescinded her invitation as host "in light of the announcement that ‘The Drew Barrymore Show’ will resume production."
"The Drew Barrymore Show" wasn’t the only daytime show scheduled to resume. "The View" is back for its 27th season on ABC, while "Tamron Hall" and "Live With Kelly and Mark" have also been producing fresh episodes.
"The Talk" was set to return Monday. However, CBS said Sunday in a statement following Barrymore's postponement, " 'The Talk' is pausing its season premiere scheduled for September 18. We will continue to evaluate plans for a new launch date."
"The Jennifer Hudson Show" also planned to restart Monday, but decided to halt production and delay the season premiere at Hudson's urging, a source familiar with the situation but not authorized to speak publicly tells USA TODAY.
Contributing: Kim Willis, Gary Levin and Kelly Lawler, USA TODAY, and Mark Kennedy, The Associated Press
Drew Barrymore droppedas National Book Awards host after her talk show resumes during strike
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Phone lines are open for Cardinals and Chargers, who have options at top of 2024 NFL draft
- How an Arizona Medical Anthropologist Uses Oral Histories to Add Depth to Environmental Science
- Tori Spelling Shares She Once Peed in Her Son's Diaper While Stuck in Traffic
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Cavaliers grind out victory over Magic in Game 1 of NBA playoff series
- The drug war devastated Black and other minority communities. Is marijuana legalization helping?
- Starbucks is rolling out new plastic cups this month. Here's why.
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Vehicle crashes into building where birthday party held, injuring children and adults, sheriff says
Ranking
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Trump campaign, RNC aim to deploy 100,000 volunteer vote-counting monitors for presidential election
- West Virginia will not face $465M COVID education funds clawback after feds OK waiver, governor says
- Taylor Swift's 'Tortured Poets Department' and when lyrics about dying, grief, heartbreak trigger you
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Maryland student arrested over school shooting plot after 129-page manifesto was found
- Boxer Ryan Garcia misses weight for Saturday fight, loses $1.5 million bet to Devin Haney
- Tesla recalls nearly 4,000 Cybertrucks due to faulty accelerator pedal
Recommendation
Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
A Federal Program Is Expanding Electric School Bus Fleets, But There Are Still Some Bumps in the Road
QB-needy Broncos could be the team to turn 2024 NFL draft on its head
Morgan Wallen Breaks Silence on Arrest Over Alleged Chair-Throwing Incident
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Elevate Your Wardrobe With the Top 24 Trending Amazon Styles Right Now
MLS schedule April 20-21: LAFC hosts New York Red Bulls, Inter Miami meets Nashville again
Who will win the NBA Finals? Predictions for 2024 NBA playoffs bracket