Current:Home > reviewsAttack on Democratic Republic of Congo camp for displaced people reportedly leaves at least 23 children dead -Capitatum
Attack on Democratic Republic of Congo camp for displaced people reportedly leaves at least 23 children dead
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:14:04
Bunia, Democratic Republic of Congo — At least 46 people, half of them children, were killed in a militia attack on a camp for displaced people in the Democratic Republic of Congo, security analysts and a local community leader said Monday.
A militia group involved in numerous ethnic killings in the area attacked the camp in northeast Ituri province overnight Sunday to Monday, Richard Dheda, an official of the local administration for Bahema Badjere in Djugu territory, told AFP.
The Kivu Security Tracker (KST), a network of observers based in DRC's restive east, counted "at least 46" dead in the Lala camp.
A community leader Desire Malodra gave the same death toll of 46, adding that 23 of them were children.
He added that the toll was still provisional as "the search continues" for victims.
Earlier, Dheda said there had been 41 victims, while a military source said at least 22 had been killed.
The CODECO militia, or Cooperative for the Development of the Congo, claims to protect the Lendu community from another ethnic group, the Hema, as well as the DR Congo army.
"They began to fire shots, many people were burned to death in their homes, others were killed by machete," Malodra said.
The Lala camp for displaced people is about three miles from Bule, the site of a United Nations peacekeeper base.
Ituri province is one of eastern DR Congo's violence hotspots, where attacks claiming dozens of lives are common.
CODECO militiamen attacked an army position in the Djukoth area of Ituri province's Mahagi territory late on Saturday, killing seven civilians.
After a decade of calm, the conflict between the Hema and Lendu communities rekindled in 2017, resulting in thousands of deaths and forcing more than 1.5 million people from their homes.
Much of eastern DR Congo is plagued by dozens of armed groups, a legacy of regional wars that flared in the 1990s and 2000s.
- In:
- Democratic Republic of Congo
- War
- Africa
- Murder
veryGood! (4638)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Big Brother contestant Luke Valentine removed from house after using N-word on camera
- What 'The Red Zone' on college campuses teaches us about sexual assault
- Simone Biles rocks husband Jonathan Owens' jersey at Green Bay Packers preseason NFL game
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- 4 arrested after a shooting that wounded a Minneapolis police officer
- The failed Ohio amendment reflects Republican efforts nationally to restrict direct democracy
- The Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 is here—save up to $650 and get a free cover at Best Buy
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- A cherished weekend flea market in the Ukrainian capital survives despite war
Ranking
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Judge in Trump Jan. 6 case issues order limiting use of sensitive material
- Guatemalan presidential candidate Sandra Torres leans on conservative values, opposing gay marriage
- Move over, 'Barbie': Why 'Red, White & Royal Blue' is the gayest movie this summer
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Tia Mowry's Past Breastfeeding Struggles Are All Too Relatable
- Amidst streaming chaos, Dropout carves out its own niche
- Woman arrested after missing man's corpse found inside her Ohio home
Recommendation
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
Chrishell Stause Responds to Fans Who Still Ship Her With Ex Jason Oppenheim
Police: New York inmate used bed sheets to escape from hospital's 5th floor
Dwyane Wade shares secret of his post-NBA success on eve of Hall of Fame induction
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
How hardworking microbes ferment cabbage into kimchi
Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone pulls out of world championships due to injury
EPA Overrules Texas Plan to Reduce Haze From Air Pollution at National Parks