Current:Home > StocksAlgosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-George Santos is in plea negotiations with federal prosecutors -Capitatum
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-George Santos is in plea negotiations with federal prosecutors
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 09:34:16
Former U.S. Rep. George Santos is Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Centerin negotiations to resolve his federal criminal fraud case, prosecutors said in a court filing Monday.
“The parties are presently engaged in plea negotiations with the goal of resolving this matter without the need for a trial,” U.S. Attorney Breon Peace’s office wrote in the filing.
Santos is scheduled to appear in court on Long Island for a hearing in the case Tuesday. He acknowledged in an interview that aired Sunday that he hadn’t ruled out pleading guilty.
“The trial is not until September and a plea is not off the table. So there’s obviously conversations taking place, especially after what happened in Congress, and we’ll see,” he said in the interview with CBS 2, referring to his expulsion from Congress earlier this month.
Asked if he is afraid of going to jail, Santos responded: “I think everybody should be afraid of going to jail, it’s not a pretty place and uh, I definitely want to work very hard to avoid that as best as possible.”
Prosecutors said in Monday’s filing they are also seeking an earlier trial date in case the negotiations fail to produce a deal. The request is opposed by Santos’ lawyer, who didn’t respond to an email seeking comment Monday.
Santos faces a host of charges that he defrauded donors to his campaign, lied to Congress about his wealth, received unemployment benefits while employed and used campaign contributions to pay for personal expenses like designer clothing. He pleaded not guilty in October to additional charges that he made tens of thousands of dollars in unauthorized charges on credit cards belonging to some of his campaign donors.
Santos hasn’t wasted any time looking to cash in on his infamy since becoming just the sixth lawmaker in history to be cast out by colleagues in the U.S. House of Representatives, a move that left Republicans with a razor-thin majority in the chamber.
The 35-year-old Queens native launched an account on the website Cameo, where the public can pay him for a personalized video message. In the televised interview, Santos said he made more money in a week on the platform than his annual salary as a congressman.
Santos was touted as a rising star after he flipped the suburban district that covers the affluent North Shore of Long Island and a slice of the New York City borough of Queens last year.
But his life story unraveled before he was even sworn into office: Reports revealed he had lied about having Jewish ancestry, a career at top Wall Street firms and a college degree, among other things.
A special election will be held Feb. 13 to elect his House successor. That race will likely pit former U.S. Rep. Thomas Suozzi, a Democrat who previously held the seat before running unsuccessfully for governor, against one of a number of Republicans.
___
Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo.
veryGood! (61)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Hawaii teachers say they want to prioritize civic education — but they need more help
- Biden administration proposes rule to protect workers from extreme heat
- Whitney Port Gives Update on Surrogacy Journey Following Two Miscarriages
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Caitlin Clark in action: How to watch Indiana Fever vs. Las Vegas Aces on Tuesday
- Hallmark's Shantel VanSanten and Victor Webster May Have the Oddest Divorce Settlement Yet
- Virginia Senate takes no action on move to repeal military tuition program restrictions
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Stripper, adult establishments sue Florida over new age restriction
Ranking
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- When do new 'Bluey' episodes come out? Release date, time, where to watch
- Usher acceptance speech muted in 'malfunction' at BET Awards, network apologizes: Watch video
- You Must See Louis Tomlinson Enter His Silver Fox Era
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Aldi chocolate chip muffins recalled due to walnut allergy concerns
- Stripper sues Florida over new age restrictions for workers at adult entertainment businesses
- Rick Ross says he 'can't wait to go back' to Vancouver despite alleged attack at festival
Recommendation
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Man who confessed to killing parents, friends in Maine sentenced to life in prison
USMNT eliminated from Copa America after loss to Uruguay: Highlights, score
Prosecutor won’t oppose Trump sentencing delay in hush money case after high court immunity ruling
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
How do I advance my career to the executive level? Ask HR
Stripper sues Florida over new age restrictions for workers at adult entertainment businesses
The Daily Money: CDK outage draws to a close