Current:Home > MarketsTravis Scott questioned in Astroworld festival deposition following wave of lawsuits -Capitatum
Travis Scott questioned in Astroworld festival deposition following wave of lawsuits
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-05 23:07:08
HOUSTON — Rap superstar Travis Scott was questioned on Monday in a deposition he is giving in connection with hundreds of lawsuits that were filed against him and others over the deaths and injuries at the 2021 Astroworld festival.
Scott was questioned in Houston during a deposition that could take several days to complete, two people with knowledge about the litigation said.
Lawyers and others connected to the lawsuits are under a gag order, preventing them from saying little beyond what happens during court hearings.
An attorney for Scott did not immediately return an email seeking comment. A spokesperson for Scott said a statement about Monday’s deposition was being prepared.
This was the first time Scott was questioned by attorneys for those who have filed lawsuits since a crowd surge at his Nov. 5, 2021, concert in Houston killed 10 festivalgoers.
Those killed, who ranged in age from 9 to 27, died from compression asphyxia, which an expert likened to being crushed by a car.
Similar crushes have happened all over the world, from a soccer stadium in England to the hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia to Halloween festivities in the South Korean capital. Most people who die in crowd surges suffocate.
Scott’s deposition comes as a judge earlier this year scheduled the first trial from the lawsuits for May 6, 2024. That first trial would take place nearly 2.5 years since the deadly concert.
Documents filed in court in April listed more than 1,500 active cases, many of which were filed against Scott and Live Nation, the concert promoter.
Of these, 992 were cases with physical injuries and 313 were cases of “emotional distress, pain, suffering and mental anguish.” Orthopedic surgeries have been completed in 17 of these cases, with other surgeries recommended in another 21.
Some of the lawsuits have since been settled, including those filed by the families of three of the people killed during the concert.
In June, a grand jury in Houston declined to indict Scott and five other people on any criminal charges related to the deadly concert.
Scott’s deposition on Monday took place on the same day that hip-hop artist Drake, who performed several songs with Scott during the Astroworld concert, was performing in Houston. Drake was also sued in connection with the deadly concert.
Travis Scott:Rapper announces Utopia-Circus Maximus Tour: These are the 28 tour dates
Astroworld:Travis Scott will not face criminal charges over concert that left 10 dead
veryGood! (31523)
Related
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Transgender prison inmate assaulted by cellmate in Arizona gets $10K judgment in civil rights suit
- Kenya Moore is not returning to 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' following suspension: Reports
- Notre Dame swimming should be celebrating. But an investigation into culture concerns changes things
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Paris Hilton testifies before Congress on Capitol Hill about childhood sexual abuse
- A Good Girl's Guide to Murder's Chilling Trailer Is Your Booktok Obsession Come to Life
- 3rd lawsuit claims a Tennessee city’s police botched investigation of a man accused of sex crimes
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Christina Applegate’s 13-Year-Old Daughter Details Her Own Health Struggles Amid Mom’s MS Battle
Ranking
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- 2024 NBA draft: Grades and analysis for every round 1 pick
- What to know about Alex Morgan's legendary USWNT career
- Indiana seeks first execution since 2009 after acquiring lethal injection drug, governor says
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- US sanctions Boeing for sharing information about 737 Max 9 investigation
- Jocelyn Nungaray timeline: After 12-year-old girl's body found, two charged with murder
- Man arrested in Colorado triple-shooting after crash and intensive search
Recommendation
Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
Chipotle is splitting its stock 50-to-1. Here's what to know.
Former Boston attorney once named ‘most eligible bachelor’ convicted of rape
North Carolina legislators consider vetoes, constitution changes as work session winds down
Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
Man who police say urged ‘Zionists’ to get off NYC subway train faces criminal charge
Former Boston attorney once named ‘most eligible bachelor’ convicted of rape
2 killed at a Dallas-area fast food restaurant in shooting police say was targeted