Current:Home > reviewsScholastic backtracks, saying it will stop separating diverse books for fairs in 2024 -Capitatum
Scholastic backtracks, saying it will stop separating diverse books for fairs in 2024
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 08:25:32
Scholastic is reversing course, saying it will no longer separate diverse stories for school book fairs after weeks of mounting backlash from educators and authors.
The educational company, which both publishes and distributes books, waded into hot water last month after it confirmed that it was changing its policy for its middle school book fair offerings.
It said it was putting most of the titles dealing with race, gender and sexuality into their own collection, and allowing schools to decide whether to order it, as they would with any display.
Scholastic said the change was aimed at helping districts navigate the book bans that have proliferated across the country. They said such laws — either pending or enacted in more than 30 states — create "an almost impossible dilemma: back away from these titles or risk making teachers, librarians, and volunteers vulnerable to being fired, sued, or prosecuted."
But their solution was quickly slammed by many educators and authors, who accused the company of caving to censorship. Many said on social media and online petitions that they wished it would take a stronger stand against such legislation and offer the books anyway.
The backlash further picked up steam after Scholastic issued a statement on October 13 explaining their decision. Racial justice and free speech advocacy groups slammed Scholastic for making diversity optional, accusing it of caving to the small but vocal minority of Americans who support book bans and depriving students of important stories and perspectives.
Ellie Berger, the president of Scholastic Trade Publishing, apologized and announced the change in a letter addressed to authors and illustrators, a copy of which was obtained by NPR.
"Even if the decision was made with good intention, we understand now that it was a mistake to segregate diverse books in an elective case," she wrote. "We recognize and acknowledge the pain caused, and that we have broken the trust of some of our publishing community, customers, friends, trusted partners, and staff, and we also recognize that we will now need to regain that trust."
Berger said the controversial collection — called "Share Every Story, Celebrate Every Voice" — will be discontinued starting in January. Book fairs are already underway for this fall, but also take place in the spring. She said the company is actively working on a "pivot plan" for the remaining fall fairs.
"We will find an alternate way to get a greater range of books into the hands of children," Berger wrote, before reaffirming the company's commitment to BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ authors and stories. "We pledge to stand with you as we redouble our efforts to combat the laws restricting children's access to books."
Scholastic says this will not be their last message on the matter. The company did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
PEN America, the nonprofit organization that supports free speech, acknowledged Scholastic's dilemma and applauded its decision to pivot.
"Scholastic recognized that, as difficult a bind as this pernicious legislation created, the right answer was not to become an accessory to censorship," Jonathan Friedman, the director of its Free Expression and Education program, said in a statement. "Scholastic is an essential source of knowledge and a delight for countless children. We are glad to see them champion the freedom to read."
veryGood! (4882)
Related
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Tornado threats remain in Oklahoma after 11 injured, homes damaged in weekend storms
- Santa's delivery helpers: Here are how the major shippers are hiring for the holidays
- Bernie Sanders seeks a fourth Senate term representing Vermont
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Boy Meets World’s Will Friedle Details “Super Intense” Makeout Scene With Ex Jennifer Love Hewitt
- Invasive Species Spell Trouble for New York’s Beloved Tap Water
- Americans say they're spending less, delaying big purchases until after election
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Surfer bit by shark off Hawaii coast, part of leg severed in attack
Ranking
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Opinion: Women's sports are on the ballot in this election, too
- After surprising start, Broncos show they're still far from joining AFC's contender class
- A courtroom of relief: FBI recovers funds for victims of scammed banker
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Chiefs trade deadline targets: Travis Etienne, Jonathan Jones, best fits for Kansas City
- Early Week 10 fantasy football rankings: 30 risers and fallers
- Johnny Depp’s Lawyer Camille Vasquez Reveals Why She “Would Never” Date Him Despite Romance Rumors
Recommendation
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
3 charged in connection to alleged kidnapping, robbery near St. Louis
Santa's delivery helpers: Here are how the major shippers are hiring for the holidays
Willie Nelson speaks out on bandmate Kris Kristofferson's death: 'I hated to lose him'
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Fantasy football buy low, sell high: 10 trade targets for Week 10
Quincy Jones paid tribute to his daughter in final Instagram post: Who are his 7 kids?
Family pleaded to have assault rifle seized before deadly school shooting. Officers had few options