Current:Home > MyFinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|3,000 migrants leave southern Mexico on foot in a new caravan headed for the US border -Capitatum
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|3,000 migrants leave southern Mexico on foot in a new caravan headed for the US border
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 01:26:43
CIUDAD HIDALGO,FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center México (AP) — About 3,000 migrants from around a dozen countries left from Mexico’s southern border on foot Sunday, as they attempt to make it to the U.S. border.
Some of the members of the group said they hoped to make it to the U.S. border before elections are held in November, because they fear that if Donald Trump wins he will follow through on a promise to close the border to asylum-seekers.
“We are running the risk that permits (to cross the border) might be blocked,” said Miguel Salazar, a migrant from El Salvador. He feared that a new Trump administration might stop granting appointments to migrants through CBP One, an app used by asylum seekers to enter the U.S. legally — by getting appointments at U.S. border posts, where they make their cases to officials.
The app only works once migrants reach Mexico City, or states in northern Mexico.
“Everyone wants to use that route” said Salazar, 37.
The group left Sunday from the southern Mexican town of Ciudad Hidalgo, which is next to a river that marks Mexico’s border with Guatemala.
Some said they had been waiting in Ciudad Hidalgo for weeks, for permits to travel to towns further to the north.
Migrants trying to pass through Mexico in recent years have organized large groups to try to reduce the risk of being attacked by gangs or stopped by Mexican immigration officials as they travel. But the caravans tend to break up in southern Mexico, as people get tired of walking for hundreds of miles.
Recently, Mexico has also made it more difficult for migrants to reach the U.S. border on buses and trains.
Travel permits are rarely awarded to migrants who enter the country without visas and thousands of migrants have been detained by immigration officers at checkpoints in the center and north of Mexico, and bused back to towns deep in the south of the country.
Oswaldo Reyna a 55-year-old Cuban migrant crossed from Guatemala into Mexico 45 days ago, and waited in Ciudad Hidalgo to join the new caravan announced on social media.
He criticized Trump’s recent comments about migrants and how they are trying to “invade” the United States.
“We are not delinquents” he said. “We are hard working people who have left our country to get ahead in life, because in our homeland we are suffering from many needs.”
veryGood! (7476)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Who will win NBA Eastern and Western conference finals? Schedule, time, TV and predictions
- ‘Top two’ primary election measure makes South Dakota’s November ballot
- New Jersey State Police ‘never meaningfully grappled’ with discriminatory practices, official finds
- 'Most Whopper
- Sun Chips have been a favorite snack food for decades. But are they healthy?
- Teen Mom's Kailyn Lowry Reveals Her Boob Job Was Denied Due to Her Weight
- Nevada abortion-rights measure has enough signatures for November ballot, supporters say
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Kid Rock allegedly waved gun at reporter, used racial slur during Rolling Stone interview
Ranking
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- The Skinny Confidential Just Launched A Mini Version Of Its Cult-Fave Ice Roller, & We're Obsessed
- Severe turbulence during Singapore Airlines flight leaves several people badly injured. One man died
- Tom Hanks asks son Chet to fill him in on Kendrick Lamar and Drake beef: 'Holy cow!'
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Attorneys stop representing a Utah mom and children’s grief author accused of killing her husband
- Michael Strahan Shares Sweet Video of Daughter Isabella Amid Her Cancer Battle
- Cristiano Ronaldo, 39, to play for Portugal in his sixth UEFA Euro Championship
Recommendation
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Indiana Fever's Caitlin Clark injures ankle, but returns in loss to Connecticut Sun
Video shows alligator's 'death roll' amid struggle with officers on North Carolina highway
Oilers beat Brock Boeser-less Canucks in Game 7 to reach Western Conference final
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
Don't want your Hinge or banking app visible: Here's how to hide an app on iPhone
Demi Moore talks full-frontal nudity scenes in Cannes-premiered horror movie 'The Substance'
Driver was going 131 mph before wreck that killed Illinois 17-year-old ahead of graduation: Police