Current:Home > MySurpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Tennessee fugitive accused of killing a man and lying about a bear chase is caught in South Carolina -Capitatum
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Tennessee fugitive accused of killing a man and lying about a bear chase is caught in South Carolina
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 00:13:50
NASHVILLE,Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center Tenn. (AP) — A fugitive accused of killing a man in Tennessee and trying to pass off the body as someone else’s by calling 911, identifying himself as that person and saying he had fallen off a cliff while being chased by a bear has been captured in South Carolina, authorities said.
In a social media post Sunday, the Columbia Police Department said Nicholas Wayne Hamlett, 45, was recognized by an employee at a hospital in the South Carolina city. Authorities confirmed his identity with a fingerprint scanner and he’s in the temporary custody of the U.S. Marshals Service while awaiting extradition to Tennessee.
Authorities in Monroe County, Tennessee, and elsewhere had been looking for Hamlett since last month.
“After observing Hamlett at a local hospital, a good citizen alerted the authorities and brought this manhunt to a peaceful end,” Monroe County Sheriff Tommy Jones said in a social media post.
The sheriff’s office said last month that Hamlett called 911 on Oct. 18 claiming to have fallen off a cliff while running from a bear. Using the name Brandon Andrade, Hamlett claimed he was injured and partially in the water, authorities added.
When emergency responders searched the area near a highway bridge in Tellico Plains, where the call had come from, they found the body of a man with Andrade’s ID on it.
However, authorities determined that the man was not Andrade, whose ID had been stolen and used multiple times. The person using Andrade’s stolen identification was Hamlett, who was wanted in Alabama for a parole violation, the sheriff’s office said. Andrade was alive and well, authorities confirmed.
Forensics officials also determined that the cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head, which isn’t consistent with a high fall or a bear attack, Jones said.
Hamlett likely fled his Tennessee home before police could verify his real identity, authorities said. That set off a manhunt for Hamlett, who was considered armed and dangerous. The U.S. Marshals Service had been offering a reward of up to $5,000 for help finding him.
On Oct. 31, law enforcement officers searched Chapin, South Carolina, with helicopters and police dogs after getting information that Hamlett was in the area, telling residents to lock their doors on Halloween night. He was spotted near a high school in the city the next day.
On Nov. 4, the Tennessee sheriff’s office identified the dead man as 34-year-old Steven Douglas Lloyd, of Knoxville. It said Hamlett had befriended Lloyd, then lured him into the woods to kill him and take his identity.
According to the sheriff, Lloyd’s family said he was diagnosed with reactive attachment disorder and would leave home and live on the streets, but remained in touch with his family.
“Steven loved the outdoors and was so helpful when it came to others,” Jones wrote in a Nov. 4 social media post. “The family was shocked to learn that their beloved son’s life had been taken by someone that Steven trusted.”
veryGood! (4944)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Former NFL Player Jacoby Jones Dead at 40
- Carlos Alcaraz dominates Novak Djokovic to win Wimbledon men's title
- Alec Baldwin Speaks Out After Rust Shooting Trial Is Dismissed
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Donald Trump arrives in Milwaukee for RNC after assassination attempt heightens security fears
- Biden meets virtually with Congressional Hispanic Caucus members as he fights to stay in 2024 presidential race
- Cincinnati Reds prospect Cam Collier homers, is MVP as NL wins Futures Game
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Heartbroken Olivia Munn Details Bond With Shannen Doherty Over Cancer Battles
Ranking
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Kate Middleton and Princess Charlotte Ace Wimbledon 2024 During Rare Public Outing
- Olympic Scandals That Shook the Sports World
- Shannen Doherty Dead at 53 After Cancer Battle
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- 18-year-old arrested in white supremacist plot targeting New Jersey power grid
- Globetrotting butterflies traveled 2,600 miles across the Atlantic, stunned scientists say
- Donald Trump appeared to be the target of an assassination attempt. Here’s what to know
Recommendation
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
NASCAR at Pocono 2024: Start time, TV, streaming, lineup for Great American Getaway 400
Spain and England to meet in European Championship final in front of Prince William and King Felipe
Trump safe after rally shooting, says bullet struck his ear; gunman and audience member dead
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
Carlos Alcaraz's Wimbledon rout of Novak Djokovic exposes tennis' talent gap at the top
Trump rally shooting raises concerns of political violence. Here's a look at past attacks on U.S. presidents and candidates.
Carlos Alcaraz should make Novak Djokovic a bit nervous about his Grand Slam record