Current:Home > ContactIndexbit-Colorado Anti-Fracking Activists Fall Short in Ballot Efforts -Capitatum
Indexbit-Colorado Anti-Fracking Activists Fall Short in Ballot Efforts
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 00:26:36
Two anti-fracking initiatives did not get enough valid signatures to qualify for the November ballot,Indexbit Colorado officials announced on Monday, giving the oil and gas industry its latest victory over communities seeking to exert local control over fracking.
This was the second time Coloradans concerned about the environmental, public health and economic impacts of hydraulic fracturing and related oil and gas activity have tried to restrict the industry through ballot initiatives. In 2014, Gov. John Hickenlooper struck a last-minute political deal with the initiative’s main sponsor, Democratic Congressman Jared Polis, to stop the petition, offering instead to create a task force to address the issues.
But after recommendations proposed by that task force had largely failed to translate into legislative action and Colorado’s high court struck down some local fracking bans, activists renewed the push for ballot measures.
This time, they collected more than the required number of signatures, 98,492, for each one, but the Colorado Secretary of State’s office said not enough of the signatures were valid to qualify.
Proposed ballot initiative No. 75 would have amended Colorado’s constitution to give communities more authority to regulate the oil and gas industry, including the power to temporarily ban fracking; meanwhile, ballot initiative No. 78 proposed that all oil and gas activity be set back 2,500 feet from homes, schools and other occupied structures. The state already mandates a 500-foot setback.
“Coloradans have sent a clear message that they don’t want to resolve these complex issues at the ballot box,” Dan Haley, president and chief executive of the trade group Colorado Oil and Gas Association, said in a statement. “The good news is that after this long and unnecessary battle, our state emerges as the winner.”
Opponents of the two measures, including the oil and gas industry, raised more than $15 million and spent about a third of that money during the signature-collecting phase.
Support for the initiatives was spearheaded by a coalition of grassroots organizations. Larger state and national green groups, including Conservation Colorado, Earthworks, 350 Action, Greenpeace, and the Sierra Club, offered a mix of financial and other support. (The Environmental Defense Fund is notably absent from this list.) The initiative’s proponents collected less than $500,000 on the campaigns and spent roughly half.
“We may be disappointed today, but tomorrow we get back to work empowering communities and keeping fossil fuels in the ground,” said Denver-based Greenpeace campaigner Diana Best in a statement. “This fight is far from over.”
Conservation Colorado’s executive director Pete Maysmith said the difference in money spent on the two sides of the issue highlights the power of the oil and gas industry and “the extraordinary lengths that they are willing to go to in order to keep the people of Colorado from being able to vote on issues affecting their own state.”
The Secretary of State’s office reviewed a random sampling of the submitted signatures and projected only 79,634 valid signatures for initiative No. 75 and 77,109 for No. 78. Duplicate signatures, forged signatures, signatures from people outside the state and signature forms with missing information could all be considered invalid. Campaign proponents have not yet said whether they will appeal; they have 30 days to challenge the state’s decision.
Towns, counties and states across the country have had mixed success in banning fracking. While New York successfully banned the practice in December 2014, Texas and Oklahoma passed laws last year making it illegal for communities to halt local fracking activity.
veryGood! (72573)
Related
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Looking for a deal? Aldi to add 800 more stores in US by 2028
- NFL mock draft: Broncos, Eagles aim to fill holes left by Russell Wilson, Jason Kelce
- This week on Sunday Morning (March 10)
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- That's just 'Psycho,' Oscars: These 10 classic movies didn't win a single Academy Award
- Avoid seaweed blobs, red tides on Florida beaches this spring with our water quality maps
- See Brittany Mahomes Vacation in Mexico as She Recovers From Fractured Back
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Miami Seaquarium gets eviction notice several months after death of Lolita the orca
Ranking
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Federal Reserve’s Powell: Regulatory proposal criticized by banks will be revised by end of year
- Burger King sweetens its create-your-own Whopper contest with a free burger
- Kristin Cavallari Shares the Signs She Receives From Her Brother 8 Years After His Death
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- New York library won't let man with autism use children's room. His family called the restriction 'callous'
- Burger King sweetens its create-your-own Whopper contest with a free burger
- Save 40% on a NuFACE Device Shoppers Praise for Making Them Look 10 Years Younger
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Cole Brauer becomes 1st American woman to race sailboat alone and nonstop around world
Platform Mini Boots Are Your Perfect Shoe for In-Between Weather: From UGG to $27 Finds
Feds investigating suspected smuggling at Wisconsin prison, 11 workers suspended in probe
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
Broncos release two-time Pro Bowl safety Justin Simmons, team's longest-tenured player
Mississippi Supreme Court affirms a death row inmate’s convictions in the killings of 8 people
Jane Fonda, 'Oppenheimer' stars sign open letter to 'make nukes history' ahead of Oscars