Current:Home > MyAustralia apologizes for thalidomide tragedy as some survivors listen in the Parliament gallery -Capitatum
Australia apologizes for thalidomide tragedy as some survivors listen in the Parliament gallery
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-05 21:14:39
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Survivors of the harmful morning sickness drug thalidomide were in the public gallery Wednesday when Australia’s Parliament made a national apology to them on the 62nd anniversary of the drug being withdrawn from sale in the country.
Thalidomide, also sold under the brand names Contergan and Distaval, was available in 46 countries and caused birth defects, stillbirths and miscarriages.
Survivors with limb deformities and one with no limbs were in the House of Representatives gallery to hear Prime Minister Anthony Albanese’s apology.
“Today, on behalf of the people of Australia, our government and this Parliament offers a full unreserved and overdue apology to all thalidomide survivors, their families, loved ones, and carers,” Albanese said.
“This apology takes in one of the darkest chapters in Australia’s medical history,” he added.
Doctors had assured pregnant women that the drug was safe.
“There was no system for properly evaluating the safety of medicines, and the terrible cruelty of thalidomide, is that far from being safe, just one dose was enough to cause devastating harm,” Albanese said.
Trish Jackson, who has heart and lung problems as well as limb deformities caused by her mother taking the drug while pregnant, welcomed the apology.
“All those years of ... banging our heads against brick walls of politicians have finally paid off,” Jackson told Australian Broadcasting Corp.
The apology was recommended in 2019 by a Senate inquiry into the support that was available to aging thalidomide survivors.
The government will fulfill another recommendation Thursday by opening a memorial in Canberra in recognition of thalidomide survivors and their families.
Australia established a support program in 2020 that is providing lifelong assistance to 148 survivors, and Albanese said his government was reopening the program to survivors who had yet to register.
Jackson said the support program needed to be simplified.
“It is so physically demanding to get anything back like for medications and stuff that ... a lot of survivors just don’t bother because it’s too hard for them to do it,” Jackson said.
She said some doctors had never heard of thalidomide and did not understand survivors’ problems.
“It’s not just the missing limbs. There’s so much internal damage as well,” Jackson said. “Thalidomide’s a drug that just keeps on giving us problems.”
A class-action lawsuit by Australian and New Zealand thalidomide survivors against the drug’s British distributor Diageo Scotland Ltd. was settled a decade ago for 89 million Australian dollars ($81 million).
veryGood! (23)
Related
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Kim Kardashian Proves She's a Rare Gem With Blinding Diamond Look
- Russia reportedly is using Ukrainian POWs to fight in their homeland on Moscow’s side
- Several GOP presidential candidates vow to punish colleges, students protesting against Israel or for Hamas
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Never have I ever
- Moderate 5.3 magnitude earthquake recorded in sparsely populated western Texas county
- Grand Theft Auto VI trailer to debut in December. Here's what we know about the game so far.
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Mexican president wants to force private freight rail companies to schedule passenger service
Ranking
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Peace Corps agrees to pay $750,000 to family of volunteer who died after doctors misdiagnosed her malaria, law firm says
- Texas officials issue shelter-in-place order after chemical plant explosion
- 2 more endangered Florida panthers struck and killed by vehicles, wildlife officials say
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Costa Rica’s $6 million National Bank heist was an inside job, authorities say
- FDA approves a new weight loss drug, Zepbound from Eli Lilly
- NBA mock draft 2.0: G League Ignite sensation Ron Holland projected No. 1 pick for 2024
Recommendation
Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
Minnesota town is believed to be the first to elect a Somali American as mayor
Arizona woman dies after elk attack
Family in 'living hell' after California woman vanishes on yoga retreat in Guatemala
New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
Florida woman wins $5 million from state lottery's scratch off game
Former top prosecutor for Baltimore declines to testify at her perjury trial
Having lice ain't nice. But they tell our story, concise and precise