Current:Home > MarketsChainkeen Exchange-Huw Edwards named by wife as BBC presenter accused of sexual misconduct; police say no crime committed -Capitatum
Chainkeen Exchange-Huw Edwards named by wife as BBC presenter accused of sexual misconduct; police say no crime committed
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 02:23:38
There's no evidence a BBC presenter who allegedly paid a teenager for sexually explicit photos committed a crime,Chainkeen Exchange London police said Wednesday as the broadcaster's wife publicly identified him for the first time as veteran news anchor Huw Edwards.
Metropolitan police said it made its decision after speaking with the alleged victim and that person's parents. The parents told The Sun newspaper last week that the presenter had been allowed to remain on air after the mother complained to the BBC in May that he paid the youth $45,000 starting in 2020 when the person was 17.
As the story topped the news in Britain all week and embroiled the BBC in scandal, speculation swirled about the identity of the presenter. Some of the BBC's biggest on-air personalities publicly said it wasn't them and others called on the unnamed presenter to come forward.
Edwards' wife, Vicky Flind, named her husband late Wednesday and said he was hospitalized with serious mental health issues.
After "five extremely difficult days for our family," Flind said she was naming him "primarily out of concern for his mental well-being and to protect our children."
"The events of the last few days have greatly worsened matters, he has suffered another serious episode and is now receiving in-patient hospital care where he'll stay for the foreseeable future," she said.
Edwards, 61, is one of Britain's best-known and most authoritative news broadcasters, lead anchor on the BBC's nighttime news and the face of its election coverage. He led BBC coverage of the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II in September. He's among the broadcaster's best-paid stars, with an annual salary of at least $565,000.
The U.K.'s publicly funded national broadcaster had not named Edwards, but said it had suspended a male star over the allegations. The BBC said it will continue its investigation into the matter.
A lawyer representing the young person in question, who was not named, told the BBC earlier this week that "nothing inappropriate or unlawful has taken place between our client and the BBC personality." The lawyer said the allegations reported in The Sun were "rubbish."
Though the age of sexual consent in Britain is 16, it is a crime to make or possess indecent images of anyone under 18.
The Metropolitan Police issued a statement saying no further action would be taken.
"Detectives from the Met's Specialist Crime Command have now concluded their assessment and have determined there is no information to indicate that a criminal offense has been committed," the force said.
Jon Sopel, the former BBC News North America editor, sent his best wishes to Edwards and his family.
"This is an awful and shocking episode, where there was no criminality, but perhaps a complicated private life," Sopel tweeted. "That doesn't feel very private now. I hope that will give some cause to reflect."
- In:
- BBC
- Sexual Misconduct
veryGood! (5875)
Related
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Wisconsin Republicans make last-ditch effort to pass new legislative maps
- Eagles purging coordinators as Brian Johnson, DCs leaving. What it means for Nick Siranni
- Emily Blunt, America Ferrera and More Can Officially Call Themselves First-Time Oscar Nominees
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Super Bowl 58 matchups ranked, worst to best: Which rematch may be most interesting game?
- Why am I always tired? Here's what a sleep expert says about why you may be exhausted.
- Singer Chris Young charged for resisting arrest, disorderly conduct amid bar outing
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Martin Luther King Jr.’s Son Dexter Scott King Dead at 62 After Cancer Battle
Ranking
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- US strikes three facilities in Iraq following attacks on American forces by Iran-backed militias
- Cantaloupe-linked salmonella outbreak that killed 6 people is over, CDC says
- Brazil’s official term for poor communities has conveyed stigma. A change has finally been made
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- The European Commission launches an in-depth look at competitive costs of the Lufthansa deal for ITA
- Dueling political factions demonstrate in Venezuela’s capital as presidential election race heats up
- US strikes three facilities in Iraq following attacks on American forces by Iran-backed militias
Recommendation
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
3 dead in ski-helicopter crash in Canada
Arkansas abortion ban may be scaled back, if group can collect enough signatures
Sen. Bob Menendez says gold bars and cash at his residence were illegally found and seized
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Ryan Gosling Calls Out Margot Robbie and Greta Gerwig’s Barbie Oscars Snubs
Wendy's adds breakfast burrito to morning menu
Man sentenced to life in prison for the fatal shooting of a deputy U.S. marshal in Arizona in 2018