Current:Home > StocksAlex Rodriguez's bid to become majority owner of Timberwolves falls through. Here's why -Capitatum
Alex Rodriguez's bid to become majority owner of Timberwolves falls through. Here's why
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 07:56:31
Former MLB star Alex Rodriguez will not be taking over as majority owner of the NBA's Minnesota Timberwolves and WNBA's Minnesota Lynx.
The teams' ownership group announced Thursday that the 90-day period for Rodriguez and partner Marc Lore to complete the purchase agreement they had reached in December has expired.
“I will continue to work with Marc, Alex and the rest of the ownership group to ensure our teams have the necessary resources to compete at the highest levels on and off the court,” general partner Glen Taylor said in a statement. “The Timberwolves and Lynx are no longer for sale.”
In a statement from Rodriguez and Lore, they said, "We are disappointed in Glen Taylor's public statement today. We have fulfilled our obligations, have all necessary funding and are fully committed to closing our purchase of the team as soon as the NBA completes its approval process. Glen Taylor's statement is an unfortunate case of seller's remorse that is short sighted and disruptive to the team and the fans during a historic winning season."
Axios reported last week that the NBA rejected a $300 million investment from the Carlyle Group. After that, Dyal Capital Partners joined the Lore-Rodriguez group to provide the necessary funding. It was expected NBA owners would vote on approval of the sale in April.
All things T-Wolves: Latest Minnesota Timberwolves news, schedule, roster, stats, injury updates and more.
"I've always been a big fan of the NBA," Rodriguez told USA TODAY Sports in an interview last June. "You see the trends, you see what they’re doing. It’s exciting, it’s young, it’s dynamic. We saw it also as a great business opportunity."
However, throughout the process, Lore and Rodriguez missed deadlines to submit money and other information, a person with details of the sale told USA TODAY Sports. The person requested anonymity because he was not authorized to speak due to the sensitive nature of the sale.
Taylor grew frustrated with the missed deadlines, including the most recent one to provide the remaining 40% of funding to acquire 80% and majority ownership.
In the original agreement, Lore and Rodriguez agreed to pay in installments – 20%, 20% and 40%. As it stands, they own 40% and Taylor and his limited partners own 60%.
While the agreement started off well, the missed deadlines became a sticking point as well as the perceived failure of Lore and Rodriguez to ingratiate themselves to the Taylors and fan base. The relationship between Taylor and his new partners declined.
Throughout the process, the league also sent Lore and Rodriguez multiple deadline notices for paperwork. Rodriguez and Lore said they had the funding but it did not leave the NBA enough time to vet the financial investment from other potential partners, according to a person familiar details.
veryGood! (15)
Related
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- From soccer infamy to Xbox 'therapy,' what's real and what's not in 'Next Goal Wins'
- CBS to host Golden Globes in 2024
- New hardiness zone map will help US gardeners keep pace with climate change
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Russian drones target Kyiv as UK Defense Ministry says little chance of front-line change
- In march on Jerusalem, thousands press Israeli government to do more to free hostages held in Gaza
- Cheers! Bottle of Scotch whisky sells for a record $2.7 million at auction
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- No turkey needed: How to make a vegetarian Thanksgiving spread, including the main dish
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- The Vatican broadens public access to an ancient Roman necropolis
- $1.35 billion Mega Millions winner sues mother of his child for disclosing jackpot win
- Honda recalls nearly 250,000 vehicles including Odyssey, Pilot, Acura models. See a list.
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Horoscopes Today, November 17, 2023
- No. 5 Washington clinches Pac-12 championship berth with win over No. 10 Oregon State
- Tiger Woods commits to playing in 2023 Hero World Challenge
Recommendation
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
Century-overdue library book is finally returned in Minnesota
Kaitlin Armstrong, convicted of killing pro cyclist Mo Wilson, sentenced to 90 years in prison
The Vatican broadens public access to an ancient Roman necropolis
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Police shoot armed woman at Arizona mall and charge her with assault
Russian doctors call for release of imprisoned artist who protested Ukraine war
Bruins forward Milan Lucic taking leave of absence after reported arrest for domestic incident