Current:Home > reviewsSpain soccer chief Luis Rubiales accused of sexual assault by player Jenni Hermoso for unwanted kiss -Capitatum
Spain soccer chief Luis Rubiales accused of sexual assault by player Jenni Hermoso for unwanted kiss
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 00:36:37
Madrid — Spanish soccer player Jenni Hermoso has accused Luis Rubiales of sexual assault for kissing her on the lips without her consent after the Women's World Cup final, the country's prosecutors' office said Wednesday.
Rubiales, the now-suspended president of the Spanish soccer federation, kissed Hermoso on the lips during the awards ceremony after Spain beat England to win the title on August 20 in Sydney, Australia.
Rubiales has insisted the kiss was consensual. Hermoso has denied that in statements issued by her and her players' union. She also said she and her family were pressured by the federation to show her support for Rubiales in the immediate aftermath of the scandal caused by the kiss that tarnished her team's victory.
The prosecutors' office in Madrid said that, according to a sexual consent law passed last year, Rubiales could face a fine or a prison sentence of one to four years if found guilty. The new law eliminated the difference between "sexual harassment" and "sexual assault," sanctioning any unconsented sexual act.
Spain's government, players' unions, players and many citizens have come out in support of Hermoso. Rubiales, meanwhile, has become a soccer outcast even while he refuses to resign.
Rubiales was suspended from his post by FIFA on August 27, a day after he refused to step down when he delivered a defiant speech to the general assembly of his federation in which he said he was victim of a "witch hunt" by "false feminists." Rubiales was banned from his post for 90 days while the body's disciplinary judges consider his case. FIFA can impose sanctions on individuals ranging from warnings and fines to suspensions from the sport.
Rubiales, 46, also faces action from the Spanish government. A government legal panel overseeing sports has opened a probe to determine if he abused his authority by kissing Hermoso or tainted the image of Spain with his conduct. He faces being deemed unfit to hold his post for up to two years.
He could also face a no-confidence vote by the federation, a move that the institution has yet to make despite having asked him to resign.
But the decision by Hermoso represents the biggest challenge to Rubiales so far since it could lead to a criminal case.
The prosecutor's office said Hermoso made the accusation on Tuesday. Prosecutors had said last week that they were going to meet with Hermoso to give her the opportunity to present an accusation against Rubiales.
Hermoso, a 33-year-old forward, now plays for Mexican club Pachuca after a long career with top Spanish and European clubs, including Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain and Atletico Madrid.
Rubiales' behavior at the final, which included a lewd crotch grab while next to dignitaries including Spain's queen and teenage princess, combined with his controversial speech have torn Spanish soccer apart.
On Tuesday, the federation, headed by interim president Pedro Rocha, fired the coach of Spain's Women's World Cup champion team, Jorge Vilda. Despite leading the team to the title, Vilda was still considered an unpopular figure among its players, and close to Rubiales. One year ago, 15 players said they would not play for him until he created a more professional work environment.
After Rubiales refused to step down last week and accused Hermoso of lying, the entire team of World Cup winners plus dozens more players said they would not play again for Spain until the president was gone.
Spain's men's team has also been impacted. Coach Luis de la Fuente had to ask for forgiveness for having applauded Rubiales' sexist-tinged speech to the general assembly. His players also condemned Rubiales' behavior in a statement.
Spain's left-wing government and its women players hope that the backlash against Rubiales can lead to a reckoning with sexism in soccer.
Speaking Wednesday with CBS News senior foreign correspondent Holly Williams, American sports journalist Semra Hunter, who works in Spain said sacking Vilda and replacing him with his female deputy didn't go far enough.
When players criticized Vilda last year, she noted, the Spanish Soccer Federation "talked down to them. They were condescending, they referred to them as capricious little girls."
Hunter said the country was grappling with a whole system in its national soccer clubs that is sexist and even misogynistic, "and it's not just me saying this - it's the women players themselves… These are not just two rotten apples, it's the whole crate that's completely rotten."
- In:
- Sexual Harassment
- Sexual Assault
- Sexual Misconduct
- Spain
- World Cup
- Soccer
veryGood! (7149)
Related
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Biden releasing 1 million barrels of gasoline from Northeast reserve in bid to lower prices at pump
- Kate Hudson Details “Wonderfully Passionate” Marriage to Ex Chris Robinson
- Mad Max 'Furiosa' review: New prequel is a snazzy action movie, but no 'Fury Road'
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Who's left in the 'Survivor' finale? Meet the remaining cast in Season 46
- Kate Hudson Details “Wonderfully Passionate” Marriage to Ex Chris Robinson
- Nestlé to debut Vital Pursuit healthy food brand for Ozempic, Wegovy medication users
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Mad Max 'Furiosa' review: New prequel is a snazzy action movie, but no 'Fury Road'
Ranking
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Severe turbulence on Singapore Airlines flight 321 from London leaves 1 dead, others injured, airline says
- Sherpa guide Kami Rita climbs Mount Everest for his record 30th time, his second one this month
- China sanctions former US lawmaker who supported Taiwan
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- MIT-educated brothers accused of stealing $25 million in cryptocurrency in 12 seconds in Ethereum blockchain scheme
- Minnesota Equal Rights Amendment fails in acrimonious end to legislative session
- Iran’s supreme leader to preside over funeral for president and others killed in helicopter crash
Recommendation
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
How 2 debunked accounts of sexual violence on Oct. 7 fueled a global dispute over Israel-Hamas war
Biden administration canceling student loans for another 160,000 borrowers
'The Voice' finale: Reba McEntire scores victory with soulful powerhouse Asher HaVon
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
Twins a bit nauseous after season of wild streaks hits new low: 'This is next-level stuff'
Analysis: Iran’s nuclear policy of pressure and talks likely to go on even after president’s death
A Canadian serial killer who brought victims to his pig farm is hospitalized after a prison assault