Current:Home > MySpecial counsel's office contacted former Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey in Trump investigation -Capitatum
Special counsel's office contacted former Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey in Trump investigation
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 10:00:56
Federal investigators examining efforts by former President Donald Trump to overturn the 2020 presidential election have reached out to former Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey, according to a spokesperson for Ducey.
"He's been contacted. He's been responsive, and just as he's done since the election, he will do the right thing," said the spokesperson, Daniel Scarpinato. CNN first reported the development.
Ducey, a Republican, was governor during Trump's alleged efforts to reverse the results of the election, which he lost. During a live broadcast on Nov. 30, 2020, in which Ducey certified the state's results, he was interrupted briefly when his phone rang and he could be seen on camera silencing it. His ring tone of "Hail to the Chief" could be heard, and Ducey later confirmed it was a call from Trump.
He said at the time that Trump never asked him not to sign the certification, according to the Associated Press.
Former Vice President Mike Pence told "Face the Nation" earlier this month that he also called Ducey following the 2020 elections.
"I did check in, with not only Gov. Ducey, but other governors and states that were going through the legal process of reviewing their election results," Pence said. "But there was no pressure involved … I was calling to get an update. I passed along that information to the president. It was no more, no less, than that."
When asked if he had been pressured by Trump to push Ducey to change the election results in Arizona, Pence said no.
Ducey's responsiveness to investigators for special counsel Jack Smith comes amid increasing signs that Trump may be indicted in the probe. On Tuesday, Trump revealed that he received a letter from the Justice Department identifying him as a target in the criminal investigation.
The target letter highlights three federal statutes, according to a senior Trump source. Two of the statutes include potential charges of conspiracy to commit an offense or to defraud the U.S., and deprivation of rights under color of law. The third indicates potential charges ranging from obstruction of an official proceeding to tampering with a witness, victim or an informant. Hundreds of defendants in the Justice Department's probe into the Jan. 6 Capitol attack have faced the obstruction-related charge.
Trump said he was given the opportunity to testify before a federal grand jury. He repeated his claim that the special counsel is engaged in a "witch hunt" and criticized the investigation as a "complete and total political weaponization of law enforcement."
Trump has levied similar claims against prosecutors in two other cases for which he's been indicted, in New York and Florida, as well as an investigation in Georgia, where he may soon also face charges.
In the New York case, Trump entered a not guilty plea on April 4 to 34 state felony counts of falsification of business records related to an alleged "hush money" payment made to an adult film star days before the 2016 presidential election.
In the Florida case, which was brought by Smith's office, Trump entered a not guilty plea on June 13 to 37 federal felony counts related to alleged "willful retention" of national security information after Trump left the White House.
In Georgia, the Fulton County district attorney has indicated that Trump and others in his orbit may soon be charged in connection with their alleged efforts to overturn the state's 2020 presidential election.
Graham KatesGraham Kates is an investigative reporter covering criminal justice, privacy issues and information security for CBS News Digital. Contact Graham at [email protected] or [email protected]
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Small twin
- Every Time We Applauded North West's Sass
- Tennessee ban on transgender care for minors can be enforced, court says
- Michael Cohen plans to call Donald Trump Jr. as a witness in trial over legal fees
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Trade War Fears Ripple Through Wind Energy Industry’s Supply Chain
- Unclaimed luggage piles up at airports following Southwest cancellations
- Our Shopping Editor Swore by This Heated Eyelash Curler— Now, We Can't Stop Using It
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- China Just Entered a Major International Climate Agreement. Now Comes the Hard Part
Ranking
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Restoring Utah National Monument Boundaries Highlights a New Tactic in the Biden Administration’s Climate Strategy
- In Florida, Environmental Oversight Improves Under DeSantis, But Enforcement Issues Remain
- Shannen Doherty Recalls “Overwhelming” Fear Before Surgery to Remove Tumor in Her Head
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Russia's economy is still working but sanctions are starting to have an effect
- High School Graduation Gift Guide: Score an A+ With Jewelry, College Basics, Travel Needs & More
- Connecticut Passed an Environmental Justice Law 12 Years Ago, but Not That Much Has Changed
Recommendation
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
A Call for Massive Reinvestment Aims to Reverse Coal Country’s Rapid Decline
Renewable Energy’s Booming, But Still Falling Far Short of Climate Goals
Donations to food banks can't keep up with rising costs
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Florida man's double life is exposed in the hospital when his wife meets his fiancée
Soccer legend Megan Rapinoe announces she will retire after 2023 season
NYC could lose 10,000 Airbnb listings because of new short-term rental regulations