Current:Home > FinanceAlgosensey|British Museum seeks public help in finding stolen artifacts -Capitatum
Algosensey|British Museum seeks public help in finding stolen artifacts
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:23:42
LONDON -- Please return if found: Hundreds of missing artifacts formerly housed in a museum in central London.
The AlgosenseyBritish Museum has issued a plea to the public to assist in the recovery of ancient artifacts reported stolen or missing from its collection.
The museum -- which announced on Aug. 16 that the Metropolitan Police were investigating "a number of items" found to be "stolen, missing or damaged" -- is now appealing to anyone who may have seen the items to get in touch.
Sixty items have been returned thus far, the museum said in a statement sent to ABC News. Three-hundred more are "due to be returned imminently."
The announcement comes after British Museum Chairman George Osborne disclosed in August that "around 2,000" artifacts had been stolen from the museum's storerooms by a suspected museum curator.
The scandal, which has been called an "embarrassment" for the institution, triggered the resignation of British Museum Director Hartwig Fischer.
"The trustees of the British Museum were extremely concerned when we learnt earlier this year that items of the collection had been stolen," Osborne said in a statement. "Our priority is now threefold: first, to recover the stolen items; second, to find out what, if anything, could have been done to stop this; and third, to do whatever it takes, with investment in security and collection records, to make sure this doesn't happen again."
The items the museum is seeking include "gold jewellery, and gems of semi-precious stones and glass" dating back to the 15th century B.C. and the 19th century A.D.
None of the items has recently been on public display, said the museum.
Although the museum is not sharing details of the lost and damaged items following advice from "recovery specialists," the museum announced the majority of the stolen items are from the Department of Greece and Rome, "mainly falling into the categories of gems and jewellery."
The museum also announced that some of the items had been placed on the Art Loss Register -- the world's largest private database of stolen art, antiques and collectables. "This will ensure that if the stolen pieces appear in the over 400,000 items a year that are checked by them, they will be identified," the museum said.
An international panel of "leading specialists" in the field of identification and recovery of stolen items is also working the case.
Prior to the public appeal, investigations into the missing items had been taking place behind closed doors in partnership with the Metropolitan police. In a statement sent to ABC News, the Metropolitan police confirmed one man had been interviewed on Aug. 23 in relation to the thefts. He was placed "under caution," having voluntarily attended a police station.
The Metropolitan police told ABC News inquiries into the missing objects continue.
Many have pointed out the irony of the British Museum -- which has come under scrutiny to return artifacts in their possession to their country of origin -- seeking public assistance in retrieving stolen artefacts.
In August, the British Museum announced it will return 72 artifacts that were looted in 1897 -- including Benin Bronzes -- to the Nigerian government.
The British Museum is also entangled in a debate with Greek authorities over ownership of the famous Pantheon Sculptures, which were taken from the Pantheon between 1801 and 1805.
"Sir Nigel Boardman and I continue to work closely with the British Museum, other organisations and specialists in this area to recover stolen items and return them to the British Museum's collection," said Lucy D'Orsi, joint chair of the Independent Review. "We are very grateful for the support we have received."
veryGood! (71)
Related
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Heist of $1.5 Million Buddha Statue Leads to Arrest in Los Angeles
- NASA astronaut Frank Rubio, two cosmonauts return to Earth after U.S.-record year in space
- Owner had pulled own child out of Bronx day care over fentanyl concerns: Sources
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Backstreet Boys’ AJ McLean Celebrates 2 Years of Sobriety After “One Hell of a Journey”
- Shooting incident in Slovak capital leaves 1 dead, 4 injured
- 7 corpses, 5 bags of body parts found scattered around Mexican city after acts of disloyalty within cartel
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- For Sanibel, the Recovery from Hurricane Ian Will Be Years in the Making
Ranking
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- As migration surges in Americas, ‘funds simply aren’t there’ for humanitarian response, UN says
- Canada's House speaker resigns after honoring man who fought for Nazis during Zelenskyy visit
- Police looking for boy at center of pizza gift card scam to support his baseball team
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Russia accuses US of promoting ties between Israel and Arabs before Israeli-Palestinian peace deal
- In UAW strike, Trump pretends to support workers. He's used to stabbing them in the back.
- FDA panel overwhelmingly votes against experimental ALS treatment pushed by patients
Recommendation
A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
Last samba in Paris: Gabriela Hearst exits Chloé dancing, not crying, with runway swan song
New Hampshire sheriff pleads not guilty to theft, perjury and falsifying evidence
US guitarist Al Di Meola suffers a heart attack in Romania but is now in a stable condition
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Colin Kaepernick asks New York Jets if he can join practice squad
As migration surges in Americas, ‘funds simply aren’t there’ for humanitarian response, UN says
Officials cement plans for Monday's $250 million civil fraud trial against Trump