Current:Home > Stocks'Bachelorette' alum Devin Strader denies abuse allegations as more details emerge -Capitatum
'Bachelorette' alum Devin Strader denies abuse allegations as more details emerge
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 21:22:44
Former "Bachelorette" contestant Devin Strader on Thursday denied recent reports about abusive behavior involving an ex-girlfriend who − according to newly obtained court records by USA TODAY − told authorities that he said he almost killed her.
Strader wrote in an Instagram story Thursday that he wanted to address the "many stories and misrepresentations put out in the media" following his dramatic departure from the show earlier this month.
"The accusations are simply not true as I have never inappropriately laid hands on another individual or treated my ex-girlfriend in any of the ways I have been depicted," according to Strader. "That restraining order was never granted, and fully dismissed."
USA TODAY found that a temporary restraining order was granted against Strader in March 2017 after his girlfriend broke up with him and he burglarized her home in Baton Rouge. In the restraining order, Strader's ex-girlfriend said that at various times he slapped, choked, shoved, stalked and spit on her, and damaged her phone and a wall.
The temporary restraining order was renewed a month later before it was eventually dismissed because the ex-girlfriend violated the terms by contacting Strader, according to court documents obtained by USA TODAY on Thursday.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
USA TODAY has reached out to Devin Strader's attorney for comment.
Ex-girlfriend: 'He has degraded me and taken everything from me'
Strader's ex-girlfriend filed for the restraining order after she returned home one day following their break-up and found that her home had been "ransacked." Many of her personal belongings, including perfume bottles and a jewelry box, had been destroyed or stolen.
"I now am scared to even my sleep in my own room knowing he is sick enough to break in and destroy my property," she wrote.
Strader's ex-girlfriend also reported other incidents in the petition, saying Strader threw her cell phone so hard it made a hole in the wall, broke her lamp against a door, put her in a chokehold and covered her mouth, spit on her and threw his drink at her at a Pelicans game, according to court documents.
"I woke up one morning in pain with bruises in my knees, elbow, stomach, arms and my head pounding," she wrote. "When I asked him what happen he said, 'I almost killed you, I don't want to talk about it.'"
She also said that Strader was verbally and mentally abusive, "hence why I continued to stay with him so long after the sickening things he has done to me."
"He has degraded me and taken everything from me," she wrote. "I hope no other girl ever has to go through what I went through."
She said she thought Strader needed "serious mental help" or "he will harm me or the next person that comes along."
Strader was convicted of burglarizing the ex-girlfriend's home and trespassing. USA TODAY could find no evidence of charges involving violence or abuse filed against Strader.
Temporary restraining order was the result of 'unproven, written allegations'
Despite the restraining order, Strader continued to contact his ex-girlfriend, liking pictures of them on social media and calling her repeatedly, according to court documents. Strader's ex-girlfriend later notes a "slip-up," writing that she contacted Strader, which ultimately led to the dismissal of the order.
"Due to my mistake, the attorney will no longer take my case and I personally can't afford to hire a private attorney, hence why I have no option but to dismiss the case," she said.
The temporary restraining order was dismissed in May 2017, with both parties agreeing to split court costs, stay away from each other and make a final appearance to hash out the details.
Of the relationship, Strader wrote that it was the "first time I ever fell in love and I learned a lot from our relationship. It was a growing experience for both of us."
According to a statement obtained by EW, Strader's attorney Rhett Spano, wrote that the Strader's ex-girlfriend filed for the a protection order "based purely on unproven, written allegations in the affidavit and nothing more."
"The Judge, out of an abundance of caution, granted a temporary restraining order until Devin was served the allegations and could respond at a court hearing," Spano told EW. "On the date of the hearing, the petitioner had the option of having a full hearing before the Judge, but instead decided not to pursue a full restraining order and agreed to a mutual stay-away order, in which both parties agreed to not contact one another for a period of time − this expired after six months."
Contributing: Amanda Lee Myers, Anthony Robledo and KiMi Robinson
veryGood! (32)
Related
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- What is leap day? Is 2024 a leap year? Everything you need to know about Feb. 29
- USA TODAY's Women of the Year honorees share the words that keep them going
- Medicaid expansion proposal advances through Republican-led Mississippi House, will go to Senate
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- It's Horse Girl Spring: Here's How to Ride the Coastal Cowgirl Trend That's Back & Better Than Ever
- NTSB report casts doubt on driver’s claim that truck’s steering locked in crash that killed cyclists
- Kansas City Chiefs superfan ‘ChiefsAholic’ pleads guilty to charges tied to bank robberies
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- We owe it to our moms: See who our Women of the Year look to for inspiration
Ranking
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Caitlin Clark and her achievements stand on their own. Stop comparing her to Pistol Pete
- NHL trade deadline tracker: Analyzing Dallas Stars deal and others made before March 8
- What will win at the Oscars? AP’s film writers set their predictions
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Ryan Gosling performing Oscar-nominated song I'm Just Ken from Barbie at 2024 Academy Awards
- Nashville Uber driver fatally shoots passenger after alleged kidnapping
- Republicans block Senate bill to protect nationwide access to IVF treatments
Recommendation
DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
How does IVF actually work? Plus what the process is like and how much it costs.
Comedian Richard Lewis, who recently starred on 'Curb Your Enthusiasm,' dies at 76
What we know about 'Only Murders in the Building' Season 4
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
2024 NFL scouting combine Thursday: How to watch defensive linemen, linebackers
Panera agrees to $2 million settlement for delivery fees: How to see if you're owed money
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones ordered to take DNA test in paternity case