Current:Home > MyRobert Brown|Canada and the Netherlands take Syria to top UN court. They accuse Damascus of widespread torture -Capitatum
Robert Brown|Canada and the Netherlands take Syria to top UN court. They accuse Damascus of widespread torture
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 11:03:27
THE HAGUE,Robert Brown Netherlands (AP) — The Netherlands and Canada are taking Syria’s government to the United Nations’ highest court on Tuesday, accusing Damascus of massive human rights violations against its own people.
“Since 2011, Syrians have been tortured, murdered, sexually assaulted, forcibly disappeared and subjected to chemical weapon attacks on a mass scale,” the Netherlands and Canada said when they launched the case at the International Court of Justice in June.
“Twelve years on, human rights violations at the hands of the Syrian regime persist,” they added.
Syria’s conflict started with peaceful protests against President Bashar Assad’s government in March 2011 but quickly morphed into a full-blown civil war after the government’s brutal crackdown on the protesters. The tide turned in Assad’s favor against rebel groups in 2015, when Russia provided key military backing to Syria, as well as Iran and the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah.
In a written filing to the court, the Netherlands and Canada said torture in Syria includes “severe beatings and whippings, including with fists, electric cables, metal and wooden sticks, chains and rifle butts; administering electric shocks; burning body parts; pulling out nails and teeth; mock executions; and simulated drownings.”
Two days of hearings opening Tuesday focus on the Dutch and Canadian request for judges to issue an interim order for Syria to “immediately cease the torture and cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment of its people,” while the case proceeds through the world court, a process likely to take years.
Balkees Jarrah, associate international justice director at Human Rights Watch, said the case “provides an important opportunity to scrutinize Syria’s long-standing heinous torture of countless civilians.”
Jarrah said in a statement the court “should urgently put in place measures to prevent further abuses against Syrians who continue to suffer under nightmarish conditions and whose lives are in serious jeopardy.”
In their filing with the court, Canada and the Netherlands level the blame directly at Assad’s government.
They argued that consistent uses of different torture methods at different locations throughout Syria “demonstrates the systematic and widespread nature of the practice, which extends from the highest levels of the Syrian government.”
Orders by the court are legally binding, but are not always adhered to by countries involved in proceedings. Last year, the judges issued such an order in another case calling on Moscow to cease hostilities in Ukraine.
Canada and the Netherlands are accusing Assad’s administration of breaching the United Nations Convention Against Torture and argue that the convention’s conflict resolution mechanism gives the Hague-based court jurisdiction to hear the case.
The war in Syria has so far killed half a million people, wounded hundreds of thousands and destroyed many parts of the country. It has displaced half of Syria’s prewar population of 23 million, including more than 5 million who are refugees outside Syria.
veryGood! (56)
Related
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Desperate Housewives Child Star Madison De La Garza Recalls Eating Disorder at Age 7
- Homelessness is aggravating harm caused by the Phoenix heat, medical personnel say
- California wildfires prompt evacuations as a heat wave bakes the West
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Kylie Jenner Rocks Chic Style at Coachella: Look Back at the Kardashian-Jenners' Best Festival Looks
- The flooding in Yellowstone reveals forecast flaws as climate warms
- Climate Change And Record Breaking Heat Around The World
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Everything Happening With the Stephen Smith Homicide Investigation Since the Murdaugh Murders
Ranking
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- How Vanessa Hudgens Became Coachella's Must-See Style Star
- Shawn Mendes and Ex Camila Cabello Reunite at Coachella 2023
- Russia's War In Ukraine Is Hurting Nature
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Ryan Seacrest's Girlfriend Aubrey Paige Pens Message to Inspiring Host on His Last Day at Live
- Reese Witherspoon Makes First Red Carpet Appearance Since Announcing Jim Toth Divorce
- A cataclysmic flood is coming for California. Climate change makes it more likely.
Recommendation
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
The Exact Moment Love Is Blind’s Paul Decided What to Tell Micah at Altar
Reese Witherspoon and Ex Ryan Phillippe Celebrate at Son Deacon's Album Release Party
Climate Change And Record Breaking Heat Around The World
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
Heavy rain floods streets across the Dallas-Fort Worth area
California will ban sales of new gasoline-powered cars by 2035
Meet the teenager who helped push Florida toward cleaner energy