Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:Senegalese opposition leader Sonko sent back to prison after weeks in hospital during hunger strike -Capitatum
Surpassing:Senegalese opposition leader Sonko sent back to prison after weeks in hospital during hunger strike
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 01:54:24
DAKAR,Surpassing Senegal (AP) — Senegalese opposition leader Ousmane Sonko has returned to prison after weeks of undergoing medical treatment in the hospital during a hunger strike to protest his detention on charges he says are politically motivated.
The announcement comes just days before Senegal’s Supreme Court is due to rule on whether Sonko can take part in the upcoming February election despite being struck from the country’s voter rolls after his conviction on charges of corrupting youth earlier this year.
Prison authorities said Sonko’s transfer back to Cap Manuel prison in Dakar on Tuesday took place as “the result of a recommendation by his attending physician.”
“Wherever he is detained, the result is the same: President Ousmane Sonko remains a favourite candidate in the presidential election, arbitrarily detained and deprived of his rights by his political opponents,” said El-Malick Ndiaye, the press officer for Sonko’s opposition party.
Sonko finished third in the last presidential election, and his supporters believe that the slew of criminal allegations brought against him since 2021 are part of an orchestrated campaign to derail his political aspirations ahead of a presidential election in February.
In June, Sonko was acquitted on charges of raping a woman who worked at a massage parlor and making death threats against her. But he was convicted of corrupting youth and sentenced to two years in prison, which ignited deadly protests across the country.
In late July, Senegalese authorities formally dissolved Sonko’s political party and placed him in detention. He is now facing charges of calling for insurrection, conspiracy against the state and other alleged crimes.
Senegal’s Interior Ministry removed Sonko from the voter rolls after his conviction earlier this year on charges of corrupting youth. However, the decision was later overturned by a judge in the southern city of Ziguinchor, where Sonko serves as mayor.
The judge ordered that Sonko be allowed to have sponsorship forms for the presidential election in the same way as other candidates. But his chances of taking part in the presidential election is uncertain. The Supreme Court is due to rule Friday on the Ziguinchor judge’s ruling.
veryGood! (34)
Related
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Kelly Ripa Says Mark Consuelos Kept Her Up All Night—But It's Not What You Think
- Execution in Georgia: Man to be put to death for 1993 murder of former girlfriend
- 'Real Housewives of Potomac' star Karen Huger involved in car crash after allegedly speeding
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Teacher fatally shot, 14-year-old daughter arrested after fleeing Mississippi home
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to nearly $1 billion. Here’s what to know
- Conor McGregor bares his backside and his nerves in new ‘Road House’: ‘I'm not an actor’
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- When does the 'Halo' Season 2 finale come out? Release date, time, cast, where to watch
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- A Kentucky judge dismisses lawsuit but protects historic mural that has sparked protests
- Chipotle plans rare 50-for-1 stock split as share price nears $3,000
- 'Real Housewives of Potomac' star Karen Huger involved in car crash after allegedly speeding
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Woman goes viral with $12 McDonald's dinner box that feeds family of 5. Can you get one?
- FBI: ‘Little rascals’ trio, ages 11, 12 and 16, arrested for robbing a Houston bank
- Christine Quinn's 2-Year-Old Son Taken to Hospital After Husband Christian Dumontet's Assault Arrest
Recommendation
DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
Ashley Graham's Favorite Self-Tanning Mist Is on Sale at Amazon Right Now
2 hospitalized, 27 safe after rowing club boats capsize off Connecticut
The UN will vote on its first resolution on artificial intelligence, aimed at ensuring its safety
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
Ex-Saints receiver Michael Thomas entering diversion in case stemming from arrest last fall
A New Hampshire school bus driver and his wife have been charged with producing child pornography
2024 Tesla Cybertruck Dual Motor Foundation Series first drive: Love it or hate it?