Current:Home > MyAlgosensey|Vince McMahon resigns from WWE after allegations of sexual assault -Capitatum
Algosensey|Vince McMahon resigns from WWE after allegations of sexual assault
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-05 13:55:55
Embattled wrestling mogul Vince McMahon resigned Friday from the WWE,Algosensey the company he founded six decades ago, following allegations of sexual assault made public in a lawsuit a day earlier.
The announcement was made Friday evening in a message to staff by Nick Khan, president of the WWE and a member of the board of directors for TKO, the global conglomerate that owns the wrestling giant.
"Vince McMahon has tendered his resignation from his positions as TKO Executive Chairman and on the TKO Board of Directors," Kahn wrote in the message provided to CBS News. "He will no longer have a role with TKO Group Holdings or WWE."
In a federal lawsuit filed Thursday in Connecticut, a former employee, Janel Grant, accused the 78-year-old McMahon and another WWE employee of sexually assaulting her in the workplace.
The lawsuit also accused McMahon of sexual trafficking, alleging that he pressured Grant into having sex with him and another WWE employee in exchange for her job. In 2020, according to the lawsuit, McMahon allegedly pressured Grant into threesomes with other men, including McMahon's physical therapist and another WWE executive, John Laurinaitis, who is also named as a defendant in the lawsuit.
In a statement provided to CBS News on Friday following his resignation, McMahon said that "Grant's lawsuit is replete with lies, obscene made-up instances that never occurred, and is a vindictive distortion of the truth. I intend to vigorously defend myself against these baseless accusations, and look forward to clearing my name.
"However, out of respect for the WWE Universe, the extraordinary TKO business and its board members and shareholders, partners and constituents, and all of the employees and Superstars who helped make WWE into the global leader it is today, I have decided to resign from my executive chairmanship and the TKO board of directors, effective immediately."
Thursday's lawsuit was the latest in a series of misconduct allegations against McMahon.
In 2022, McMahon stepped back as CEO of WWE while the company investigated him for alleged misconduct, with the probe centered on claims that he paid hush money to a worker with whom he allegedly had an affair. A 2022 report in the Wall Street Journal said that McMahon had agreed to pay more than $12 million to four women.
- In:
- WWE
- TKO Group Holdings
- Wrestling
- Sexual Assault
- Vince McMahon
Faris Tanyos is a news editor for CBSNews.com, where he writes and edits stories and tracks breaking news. He previously worked as a digital news producer at several local news stations up and down the West Coast.
veryGood! (66441)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Golden Globes 2024: Jeannie Mai Shares How She’s Embracing Her Body in Her 40s
- South Dakota State repeats as FCS champs with 29th consecutive win
- Great Lakes ice season off to slowest start in 50 years of records. Why that matters.
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- How did Washington reach national title game? It starts with ice-cold coach Kalen DeBoer
- Ariana Grande teases fans with new music release this Friday
- 12 Top-Rated Amazon Finds That Will Make Your Daily Commute More Bearable
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Investigators follow a digital trail – and the man in the hat – to solve the murder of a pregnant Tacoma woman
Ranking
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- 'Society of the Snow': How to watch Netflix's survival film about doomed Flight 571
- Golden Globes 2024: Jeannie Mai Shares How She’s Embracing Her Body in Her 40s
- Mario Zagallo funeral: Brazil pays its last respects to World Cup great
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- 32 things we learned in NFL Week 18: Key insights into playoff field
- The pandemic sent hunger soaring in Brazil. They're fighting back with school lunches.
- Dua Lipa's Bone Dress Just Might Be the Most Polarizing Golden Globes Look
Recommendation
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Why isn't Travis Kelce playing against Chargers? Chiefs TE inactive in regular season finale
Air attack in northwestern Myanmar kills 17, including children, but military denies responsibility
Jennifer Lawrence Complaining About Her Awful Wedding Day Is So Relatable
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
Would Emma Stone Star in a Movie About Taylor Swift? She Says...
Live updates | Fighting near central Gaza hospital prompts medics, patients and others to flee south
New Jersey man pleads guilty to involuntary manslaughter in Pennsylvania cold case