Current:Home > FinanceTrump seeks new trial or reduced damages in E. Jean Carroll sexual abuse case -Capitatum
Trump seeks new trial or reduced damages in E. Jean Carroll sexual abuse case
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:53:38
Donald Trump is asking a federal court to order a new trial in the civil case brought by the writer E. Jean Carroll or to reduce the damages awarded to her by a jury that found Trump liable for sexual abuse and defamation.
The former president's attorneys argued in a filing on Thursday that the $5 million verdict was "grossly excessive."
Carroll accused Trump of attacking her in a department store changing room during a chance encounter in the mid-1990s, and then of defaming her after she went public with the story in 2019.
Trump's attorneys argued in the new filing that a $2 million portion of the award was excessive because the jury did not find him liable for rape.
Trump has denied assaulting Carroll and claimed her story was fabricated. She testified that they had been amiably walking through the store, joking during a light conversation, before Trump pushed her against a wall, her head slamming against it, and forcefully penetrated her with his hand and penis.
Trump's attorneys claimed $2.7 million in compensatory damages for defamation were based on "speculation" about how many people viewed a defamatory social media post by Trump in which he denied the allegation. The filing also claims the remaining punitive damages related to the defamation were awarded "without due process."
Roberta Kaplan, an attorney for Carroll, said in a statement to CBS News that Trump is trying to argue Carroll doesn't "deserve" the damages awarded to her, "even if he did those things."
"Trump's arguments are frivolous," Kaplan said. "The jury carefully considered the evidence that Ms. Carroll presented, and Trump did not put on a single witness of his own. This time, Trump will not be able to escape the consequences of his actions."
Carroll's attorneys argued during the eight-day trial that her allegations against Trump fit with what they called Trump's "modus operandi." In addition to witnesses who said Carroll confided in them after the incident, the jury heard from two other women who described Trump suddenly turning casual confrontations into sexual misconduct. They also watched the "Access Hollywood" video clip that emerged during the 2016 campaign, in which Trump could be heard crudely describing grabbing women by their genitals.
Trump has also appealed the verdict and continues to vehemently deny the allegations. Carroll amended a separate, previously filed defamation lawsuit, seeking at least $10 million in new damages. She claimed comments Trump made at a televised town hall — the day after the jury found him liable — were also disparaging.
Graham KatesGraham Kates is an investigative reporter covering criminal justice, privacy issues and information security for CBS News Digital. Contact Graham at [email protected] or [email protected]
veryGood! (898)
Related
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- The Swift impact: Eras Tour stop is boosting Los Angeles' GDP by estimated $320 million
- Bachelor in Paradise's Abigail Heringer and Noah Erb Are Engaged
- Dramatic video shows 3 fishermen clinging to buoy off Nantucket rescued by Coast Guard helicopter crew
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Bollinger Shipyard plans to close its operations in New Orleans after 3 decades
- Newly unveiled memo cited in Trump indictment detailed false electors scheme
- People rush for safety as Hawaii wildfires burn, rising COVID-19 rates: 5 Things podcast
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- New school bus routes a ‘disaster,’ Kentucky superintendent admits. Last kids got home at 10 pm
Ranking
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Why we love P&T Knitwear, the bookstore that keeps New York's Lower East Side well read
- Five people, dog killed after RV and semi collide on Pennsylvania interstate
- Falling tree kills a Georgia man who was driving during a violent thunderstorm
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- 6-year-old boy who shot his Virginia teacher said I shot that b**** dead, unsealed records show
- Retired Col. Paris Davis, Medal of Honor recipient, receives long-overdue recognition
- Michigan mom is charged with buying guns for son who threatened top Democrats, prosecutors say
Recommendation
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Taylor Swift tops list of 2023 MTV Video Music Award nominations
My Hair Has Been Crease-Free Since 2019 Because of These Scrunchies With 18,100+ 5-Star Reviews
A Growing Movement Looks to End Oil Drilling in the Amazon
NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
Hank Williams Jr. reflects on near-fatal fall: 'I am a very blessed and thankful man'
Norfolk Southern content with minimum safety too often, regulators say after fiery Ohio derailment
Ole Miss' Lane Kiffin raises student-athlete concerns in wake of schools exiting Pac-12