Current:Home > StocksEthermac Exchange-North Carolina Republicans seek hundreds of millions of dollars more for school vouchers -Capitatum
Ethermac Exchange-North Carolina Republicans seek hundreds of millions of dollars more for school vouchers
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 08:22:56
RALEIGH,Ethermac Exchange N.C. (AP) — Addressing a sharp increase in private-school grant applications, North Carolina Republicans advanced legislation on Wednesday to spend hundreds of millions of dollars now to eliminate a large waiting list this fall for Opportunity Scholarships and to permanently meet expected higher demand.
The Senate Appropriations Committee voted for legislation that would spend another $248 million in the coming year to eliminate a waiting list of 54,800 applicants who otherwise would receive money to attend private or religious K-12 schools.
Republicans from both chambers said before the legislative session began last week that finding a way to eliminate the wait list was a top priority. They said that parents counted on the program to help their children succeed if an alternative to public schools was best for them.
“The urgency of all this is really because these families have to make decisions,” said Sen. Michael Lee, a New Hanover County Republican and longtime school choice advocate, told committee members.
GOP lawmakers dramatically expanded the program last year by doing away with income eligibility caps that had limited the scholarships, sometimes known as vouchers, to low-income and more recently some middle-income families. Now any family can qualify, even the wealthiest income earners among those on the wait list.
The GOP-dominated legislature, which considers the program initially approved a decade ago one of its milestone policies, already has approved increasing state funds annually for it through the early 2030s for the expansion. For the coming year, the state appropriated $384.5 million.
But it wasn’t enough. More than 32,500 students received scholarships this school year. But the end of both income limits and another key qualification resulted in a six-fold increase of 72,000 new applicants. That doesn’t include current recipients who were first in line to accept scholarships for the 2024-2025 school year.
Without additional funds, the agency that administers the program announced last month that families who make above a certain amount — like families of four making over $115,440 annually — wouldn’t receive any awards. And only some families in a lower income tier — like families of four making above $57,720 — would receive an award.
The proposal also would increase scheduled spending for the 2025-2026 school year for the program of $445.5 million by another $215.5 million. Similar adjustments would be permanent moving forward.
Senate Democrats on Wednesday criticized the proposed spending while they say public schools — which still educate most of the state’s children — could use money to boost teacher salaries further, hire more school nurses and social workers and comply with longstanding education spending litigation.
“Why is this your urgent priority to provide welfare for the wealthiest families who are in most cases already affording to send their children to their private school ... when we have so many other unmet needs, particularly related to education?” asked Sen. Natasha Marcus, a Mecklenburg County Democrat.
Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper released a proposed state budget last week that would block further expansion of the program until he says public schools are fully funded.
Republicans came to Lee’s defense, saying middle-class families with two parents who work, such as in government fields, deserve the assistance.
“These are hardworking American families who are desperate for a ... better fit for their child versus what they see in their school attendance zone,” said Sen. Amy Galey, an Alamance County Republican.
Scholarships for the coming year would range from $7,468 for the tier of the lowest-income families to $3,360 for families in the highest income level.
The legislation also would spend $24.7 million more annually to do away with a waiting list of about 2,000 students for Education Student Accounts, which provides public funds for students with disabilities to attend private schools or receive services. The state expects additional tax collections through mid-2025 to help pay for the measure.
Wednesday’s bill must receive full House and Senate approval for it go to Cooper’s desk. Republicans hold narrow veto-proof majorities in the House and Senate that would override any Cooper veto on the vouchers issue.
The pro-school choice Parents for Educational Freedom in North Carolina urged quick action. “Senate leaders once again empowered parents to use their educational dollars as they best see fit,” group President Mike Long in a statement.
veryGood! (9475)
Related
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- How to clean the inside of your refrigerator and get rid of those pesky odors
- King Charles Celebrates Easter Alongside Queen Camilla in Rare Public Appearance Since Cancer Diagnosis
- Latino communities 'rebuilt' Baltimore. Now they're grieving bridge collapse victims
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- 2024 men's NCAA Tournament Final Four dates, game times, TV, location, teams and more
- Zoey 101's Matthew Underwood Says He Was Sexually Harassed and Assaulted by Former Agent
- How Nick Cannon and His Kids Celebrated Easter 2024
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- LSU women's basketball coach Kim Mulkey subjected to harsh lens that no male coach is
Ranking
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Women's March Madness highlights: Caitlin Clark, Iowa move to Elite Eight after Sweet 16 win
- King Charles attends Easter service, Princess Kate absent after their cancer diagnoses
- Stephan Jaeger joins the 2024 Masters field with win in Houston Open
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- I'm a trans man. We don't have a secret agenda – we're just asking you to let us live.
- The Best Tools for Every Type of Makeup Girlie: Floor, Vanity, Bathroom & More
- UFL Week 1 winners and losers: USFL gets bragging rights, Thicc-Six highlights weekend
Recommendation
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
First they tried protests of anti-gay bills. Then students put on a play at Louisiana’s Capitol
2024 men's NCAA Tournament Final Four dates, game times, TV, location, teams and more
Bus in South Africa plunges off bridge and catches fire, killing 45 people
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
Trump and co-defendants ask appeals court to review ruling allowing Fani Willis to stay on Georgia election case
South Carolina's biggest strength is its ability to steal opponents' souls
UPS to become the primary air cargo provider for the United States Postal Service