Current:Home > MarketsRekubit-Trial canceled in North Dakota abortion ban lawsuit as judge ponders dismissal -Capitatum
Rekubit-Trial canceled in North Dakota abortion ban lawsuit as judge ponders dismissal
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 10:24:12
BISMARCK,Rekubit N.D. (AP) — A trial looming in a lawsuit challenging North Dakota’s abortion ban was canceled Monday as the judge in the case weighs whether to throw out the lawsuit. It was not immediately clear why the trial was canceled.
State District Judge Bruce Romanick issued a notice to parties regarding trial saying the Aug. 26-30 trial is canceled and will be removed from the calendar. The notice comes nearly a week after the state and plaintiffs, who include the formerly sole abortion clinic in North Dakota, made their pitches to the judge as to why he should dismiss the two-year-old case, or continue to trial.
Romanick’s notice said he will issue “full findings on summary judgment and/or a new notice of trial as soon as possible following this Notice.” He also stayed pending trial deadlines for various court filings until further notice.
A spokesperson for the Center for Reproductive Rights, which represents the plaintiffs, said their side did not immediately know anything beyond the notice.
North Dakota outlaws abortion as a felony crime for people who perform the procedure, but with exceptions to prevent the mother’s death or a “serious health risk” to her, as well as for cases of rape or incest within the first six weeks.
The plaintiffs alleged the abortion ban violates the state constitution because it is unconstitutionally vague about its exceptions for doctors and that its health exception is too narrow. They wanted the trial to proceed.
The Associated Press sent a text message to North Dakota Attorney General Drew Wrigley.
The state had motioned for summary judgment to dismiss the complaint in the lawsuit originally brought in 2022 by the Red River Women’s Clinic. Special Assistant Attorney General Dan Gaustad said in court last week that the plaintiffs’ case is built on hypotheticals, that the clinic and its medical director — now in Minnesota — lack standing, and that a trial would not make a difference.
The Red River Women’s Clinic filed the original lawsuit against the state’s now-repealed trigger ban, soon after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down Roe v. Wade. The clinic afterward moved from Fargo, North Dakota, to neighboring Moorhead, Minnesota. In 2023, North Dakota’s Republican-controlled Legislature revised the state’s abortion laws. Soon after that, the clinic, joined by doctors in obstetrics, gynecology and maternal-fetal medicine, filed an amended complaint.
veryGood! (364)
Related
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- US, Japan and Australia plan joint navy drills in disputed South China Sea, Philippine officials say
- Lolita, beloved killer whale who had been in captivity, has died, Miami Seaquarium says
- Drug dealer sentenced to 10 years in prison in overdose death of actor Michael K. Williams
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Nightengale's Notebook: Get your tissues ready for these two inspirational baseball movies
- WWE star Edge addresses questions about retirement after SmackDown win in hometown
- Where is the next FIFA World Cup? What to know about men's, women's tournaments in 2026 and beyond
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Tee Morant on suspended son Ja Morant: 'He got in trouble because of his decisions'
Ranking
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Pet company says your dog can earn $100 promoting CBD-infused peanut butter treats
- Horoscopes Today, August 18, 2023
- Nissan recalling more than 236,000 cars to fix a problem that can cause loss of steering control
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Tropical Storm Hilary menaces Mexico’s Baja coast, southwest US packing deadly rainfall
- Trump says he will skip GOP presidential primary debates
- John Stamos Shares Adorable Video With 5-Year-Old Son Billy on His 60th Birthday
Recommendation
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Danielle and Kevin Jonas Get Candid About the Most Difficult Part About Parenthood
Virginia hemp businesses start to see inspections and fines under new law
Georgia football has its starting QB. Carson Beck has the job of replacing Stetson Bennett
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
South Dakota Democratic Party ousts state chair who was accused of creating hostile work environment
All talk and, yes, action. Could conversations about climate change be a solution?
'1 in 30 million': Rare orange lobster discovered at restaurant in New York